All grain starter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labrewski

Landlord.
Reaction score
So I have my brew monk but didn't have time to figure it out yet hope I will this weekend never done all grain before just kits and extract kits
I would like to order ingredients but don't know where to start with grain
Can any one give me a list of must have grain for IPA and AIPA styles please hops and yeast is no problem
I would like to order now so when I read enough to go ahead I have all necessary ingredients

Firstly, good luck with your Brew Monk, I just did my second brew this week using it, very straightforward and intuitive. Both brews worked well, first one I was almost overcautious making sure everything was right. The second, well it was very much plain sailing.

Grain, I tend to keep a 'stock' of Clear Choice Pale Ale malt, Clear Choice Ale malt, Wheat malt, Caramalt, Crystal and Toasted wheat malt, find this along with my stock of Hops and Yeast I can brew the style I like to drink.
If I fancy something different, I plan to brew it for when I re-order and stock up again.

Is there any particular youtube vid or instructions u used for first brew

So I have my brew monk but didn't have time to figure it out yet hope I will this weekend never done all grain before just kits and extract kits
I would like to order ingredients but don't know where to start with grain
Can any one give me a list of must have grain for IPA and AIPA styles please hops and yeast is no problem
I would like to order now so when I read enough to go ahead I have all necessary ingredients
We have just done a bulk order - this is what it looked like

Base Malts

Base MaltsPer SackTotal Sacks
Crushed Pilsner Malt - 25kg PPS£15.537
Crushed Lager Malt - 25kg PPS£15.531
Crushed Pale Planet - 25kg PPS£15.533
Crushed Extra Pale Planet - 25kg PPS£15.533
Crushed Pale Craft - 25kg PPS£15.533
Crushed Mild Malt - 25kg PPS£15.581
Crushed Pale - Muntons BlendMO® 50:50 - 25kg PPS£16.380
Crushed Pale - Maris Otter® - 25kg PPS£17.3012
Crushed Extra Pale - Maris Otter® - 25kg PPS£17.300
Crushed Super Pale Malt - 25kg PPS£17.650
Crushed Organic Ale Malt - 25kg PPS£25.850

For Pale Ales you need pale malt and as you can see the most popular is Maris Otter. MO is a variety of barley and because it is so well regarded it is more expensive, really any pale will do.
Extra Pale speaks for itself

However, you can use lager or pilsner for pale ale as well

The starting point is to find a recipe that you like

Look online at Brewers Friend Homebrew Beer Recipes | Browse 200,000+ at Brewer's Friend

or Brewfather Brewfather

Yep been doing brews with dme for last year just ,, stepping into ag now

Is it really necessary to have all the miscellaneous ingredients looking at recipes on brewfather
Screenshot_20210130-112610_Brewfather.jpg

No, that lot looks like water treatment stuff. If you don't know what your water analysis is it's pointless.
Get proficient at brewing before you start down that road.

For British style IPA all you need is pale malt. Plus a bit of crystal malt if you like. Hops - can't go wrong with Goldings or Fuggles.

Is it really necessary to have all the miscellaneous ingredients looking at recipes on brewfather View attachment 40486
The reason for the malt is obvious i.e. sugar creates the alcohol

BB Pale Malt - unless anyone knows any different I would suggest that any pale would do. Pale is, of course, the backbone of any beer

What is a Carapil - quote from the internet

Carapils (Malt) is a highly modified pale malt that takes its name from the words "caramel," which is melted and crystallized sugar

Carapils and crystal malts are very similar - these add a caramelly, toffee flavour. Without this the beer would be slightly less alcoholic and with less body; but it would work

In terms of hops

It does only need one variety

All the miscellaneous are probably to do with the water content of the water the originator of the recipe was using. It is good if you can understand the water content of your water, but I would suggest that you leave that for another time; it's really quite complex

The only thing from the list of miscs I would suggest you consider is protafloc. Not essential but it does help clear your beer

It was actually straightforward, think it was about 4 hours including cleaning up etc, but I was very slow setting up and checking everything several times over.
My second brew the other day was far more efficient, even with it being a cold damp day when the cleaning and drying took a bit longer! But, I prefer to take a whole morning to brew, but I'm quite happy just bimbling along without rushing.

Latest posts

Back