All Grain

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 23602

Landlord.
Reaction score
Can I do all grain with the basics I have in a kitchen? I have fermenting vessels etc, but for the initial process prior to fermentation, do I need to buy anything?

Hunt gumtree for a tea urn I use a burco boiler it's really easy. I bought new it was around 80 pounds. I get on average 38 500ml out if each brew

You certainly can do all grain on your stove top but I would agree that something like a burco is a better way to go. You could do biab quite cheaply and I even looked into building my own all in one from a boiler. In the end I decided to get a robobrew though (there are similar systems out there). It's well worth the money and brew days are a cinch now. Pretty much everything you need is included too.

I think you learn a lot more as regards the process with going with biab or cooler mash tun route. Then make a step up to all in one system. If you have all the fermentation equipment you could get lucky and go all grain for around 50 pounds. A second hand boiler, a bag and a decent thermometer

You can just do smaller batches BIAB on your stove. I do two to three gallon batches in a five gallon pot on my stove with great results.

All the Best,
D. White

I quite happily do small batches 9-11 litres however I have found it’s not possible to maintain a rolling boil on more than about 15 litre (making it not really practical to go beyond 11 litre). As I’m doing BIAB I just wrap my 20L stock pot in a couple of towels during the mash.

I certainly started all grain brewing on the gas stove top in our kitchen with a large stock pot but as others have said it is a bit of a difficulty getting the volume of liquid to a boil. The turning point for me was when our carbon monoxide alarm went off during the brewing process - obviously the large stock pot was not allowing a good enough air supply to the burner and incomplete combustion was taking place. It was a BIG wake up call. I now use a klarstein electric boiler and would definitely recommend getting one.

Thanks all for the responses. I was hoping to give it a one-off bash this month without having to buy anything except the ingredients. But if I'm needing to spend any cash, I might need to put it off to the end of the year.

Thanks all for the responses. I was hoping to give it a one-off bash this month without having to buy anything except the ingredients. But if I'm needing to spend any cash, I might need to put it off to the end of the year.
Go for it, even if you have to do a small batch with the pots you have got it will be good experience athumb..

Go for it, even if you have to do a small batch with the pots you have got it will be good experience athumb..

This ^^^^

No shame in doing a smaller batch on the stove top. I do it all the time with good results. Also,
with a smaller batch you can brew more often and have more variety on hand.

Lot of positives to it.

All the Best,
D. White

This ^^^^

No shame in doing a smaller batch on the stove top. I do it all the time with good results. Also,
with a smaller batch you can brew more often and have more variety on hand.

Lot of positives to it.

All the Best,
D. White

I have a klarstein now and a cheap tea urn that I used before that, but I still occasionally do a brew on the hob. I find it easier to experiment in the warmth of the kitchen rather than on larger equipment in the garage.

I've just converted a tea urn and made my first BIAB all grain brew. - https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/first-tea-urn-conversion.84696/#post-862588

It depends how practical you are if you go this route. It would have been a lot easier with a working tea urn but worked out very well, and about £50 (because the urn element was broken)

I had fitted an extractor hood the year before in prelude to this to get the steam out.

I would say use whatever comes along first. I think Drunkula uses a slow cooker for the mash, then tips into a pot for a boil. You are really only limited by how much water/ wort you can boil.

Latest posts

Back