All in one question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of a brew and my boiler (a basic Karlstein)is playing up. The thermostat won't respond. So I'm starting to think of the next step. At the moment I have a boiler and a cooler box mash tun. But thinking about an all-in-one. The question I've had for ages though is how do you sparge? Guessing you don't need an additional boiler for the sparge water because that wouldn't be AIO then?

Sorry if this is a silly question and I'm sure it's been explained to me before and just nodded knowingly....

Unless you do no-sparge (which is only really practical for small grain bills unless you have one of the larger systems - I just have a 30L) then yes you need a separate sparge water heater.

... Guessing you don't need an additional boiler for the sparge water because that wouldn't be AIO then?
Ah ... so you've twigged that little "lie" have you?

As @MickDundee says, you can do "no-sparge". You can do pretty strong 23L batches with this method but it does take a bit of working out. A bit of "cheating" helps if you don't mind putting aside (and have the containers for) 3-5L of your heated prepared water. I've knocked out a 1.075 brew (all malt) by this method. (You have to be confident that the exact temperature of your set-a-side, "sparge", water is of no importance what-so-ever).

Latest posts

Back