All-in-One recommendations for full volume mashing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After a bit of umming and ahing on the expense I went with the G40 and it has now arrived.

It's a beast, I knew it was big having seen it at Brewcon but it's such a weighty, girthy unit.

So far I have only cleaned and did some calibration measurements. Recoverable deadspace was 7l, just slightly over what Grainfather state, and the sight glass was 1l out which should be easy enough to remember.

Probably won't get to brew on it for a few weeks as fermenter and fridge won't be free until then but first impressions are very good.

Everything from the packaging to the build quality is top class and it is clearly built to last.

First impressions are that set up was easy, the pump seems to be really good, and times to heat up were quicker than expected.

I ordered a hop-up/work platform which will handle the weight fine and fold away when I'm not brewing.

Hopefully the ease of brewing compared to a 3 vessel system will mean I can brew more often than I have been.

As a bonus the smaller profile also frees up some space in my shed for gardening tools.

Out of interest what's so hard or inconvenient about brewing with a 3 vessel system? I ask because I'm considering moving from an all in one to a 2 or 3 vessel system as I'm looking for a larger capacity system? Space saving benefits aside I really cant see how a typical brewery will be any more work or hassle?

I mean while I'm mashing I'd be cleaning out the fermenter as I usually do, while I'm boiling I'd be cleaning out the mash tun which is no different to cleaning out the removed malt pipe as I currently do with my Brewzilla, then after the boil and the wort is transferred into the fermenter and yeast pitched it'll be cleaning out the boil kettle, just as I do with my Brewzilla. I'm not sure what steps I'm missing?

After a bit of umming and ahing on the expense I went with the G40 and it has now arrived.

It's a beast, I knew it was big having seen it at Brewcon but it's such a weighty, girthy unit.

So far I have only cleaned and did some calibration measurements. Recoverable deadspace was 7l, just slightly over what Grainfather state, and the sight glass was 1l out which should be easy enough to remember.

Probably won't get to brew on it for a few weeks as fermenter and fridge won't be free until then but first impressions are very good.

Everything from the packaging to the build quality is top class and it is clearly built to last.

First impressions are that set up was easy, the pump seems to be really good, and times to heat up were quicker than expected.

I ordered a hop-up/work platform which will handle the weight fine and fold away when I'm not brewing.

Hopefully the ease of brewing compared to a 3 vessel system will mean I can brew more often than I have been.

As a bonus the smaller profile also frees up some space in my shed for gardening tools.
Does your hop plate fit tightly in the drain hole (requires effort to push it in) or is it a bit loose?
Cheers

This was one of my concerns after reading your post, but it fits really well (sorry!)
No, I am very glad to hear it! Mine seemed fine when I first assembled, but after running cleaner through the system and rinsing out, next time I checked the fit it was loose. The fact yours fits well reassures me that it isn't a design flaw! (I'm still trying to get the issue with mine resolved).
Cheers

Our of interest does anybody have a 3v system and an all in one and use both? What are the circumstances that dictate which you use
Yes, I have both. The Grainfather G30 is my "pilot brewery" and is always used full-boil-volume-mash (and increasingly two-day "brewdays" - sort of over-night mashing, but not). The 3-vessel (actually 4) churns out my "production volumes" (40-70 litre). Also starting to be used for two-day "brewdays" 'cos I'm getting lazy (or is it "more easily stressed"?).

So, no problem which to use - a case of how much do I need to make?

Latest posts

Back