All In One Systems

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MackemBrew

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking to move on from an on the hob BIAB set up to an all in one system, Grainfather style.

I've seen kit both with and without the recirculation pump. Question is what difference does the recirculation pump really make? I have done no recirculation on my current setup and the beer produced has been absolutely fine. Would I be achieving a significant improvement going for a recirculating system?

Thanks

Hi all,

I'm looking to move on from an on the hob BIAB set up to an all in one system, Grainfather style.

I've seen kit both with and without the recirculation pump. Question is what difference does the recirculation pump really make? I have done no recirculation on my current setup and the beer produced has been absolutely fine. Would I be achieving a significant improvement going for a recirculating system?

Thanks

It's to circulate the mash. Keeping even temps. I also think it improves efficiency. A good and cheap option to the grainfather is the Brewster Beacon. It's about 400 pounds and comes with everything and more. I've seen it in action and it's just awesome.

The recirculation is also to remove the small particulates from the wort, by using the grain bed as a filter.

As @Soyyojuli says, the main function is to ensure even and consistent mash temp - like a HERMS or RIMS. In addition to this, you're also clearing the wort as the grain bed acts like a filter (essentially a vorlauf step). In terms of improving efficiency, it may well do but I've also heard folk report a drop in efficiency from doing recirculation.

In terms of whether or not you'll see a significant improvement by going for a recirculating systems, that's hard to say. To my mind one of the keys draws to these systems is the ease of use, potential time economy through the automation they provide, and the ability to more easily produce a consistent product (but not necessarily a better one).

If you're happy with the quality of the beer your making so far, what's drawing you to the all in one systems?

As @Soyyojuli says, the main function is to ensure even and consistent mash temp - like a HERMS or RIMS. In addition to this, you're also clearing the wort as the grain bed acts like a filter (essentially a vorlauf step). In terms of improving efficiency, it may well do but I've also heard folk report a drop in efficiency from doing recirculation.

In terms of whether or not you'll see a significant improvement by going for a recirculating systems, that's hard to say. To my mind one of the keys draws to these systems is the ease of use, potential time economy through the automation they provide, and the ability to more easily produce a consistent product (but not necessarily a better one).

If you're happy with the quality of the beer your making so far, what's drawing you to the all in one systems?

1+
Totally agree

You could do like me and build one yourself out of a couple of FVs. Ive not installed a pump yet, but im getting about 72% efficiency. All batches have turned out great.
IMG-20180820-WA0009.jpg
IMG-20180822-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20180822-WA0004.jpg

Its got 2 heating elements, 1500w each. I made a element protector to put the bag on and i made somewhere to put the bag after the mash is done. I loose about 1 degree celcius during 60 min mash Work great. Takes me about 30 min to heat 30 liters of water. Ive been thinking about ordering a pump for this because i cant really get temp to be uniform in the whole bucket.

still.... the Brewster Beacon is awesome and i will get it in the future.

Hi all,

Thanks

I have a grainfather, earlier posts are correct, recirculation allows for far better efficiency, makes step-mashing temperature control much easier and more accurate and with good recirculation you get a far clearer wort due to the filtering of the small particles.

Thanks all, general consensus is to go with the recirculation system over the none then :)

Essentially looking at it to save time on brew days and like the idea of having one piece of kit to do the full thing (less cupboard space to worry about :) )

Have a look at David Heath video where he compare different system. Not sure how good is Brewster Beacon but he compares something very similar looking. And he mentioned that steel used is very thin and that it wasn't very accurate with temperature.
But Grain father is few hundreds pound more expensive - so I guess you get what you pay for.

Have a look at David Heath video where he compare different system. Not sure how good is Brewster Beacon but he compares something very similar looking. And he mentioned that steel used is very thin and that it wasn't very accurate with temperature.
But Grain father is few hundreds pound more expensive - so I guess you get what you pay for.

Thanks, I'll take a look at it. Grainfather is a bit out of budget I've I'm being honest, don't thinkni can justify it!

it is the same system as the original Ace or Klarstein (re-badged also done by Angelbrew) i've had the Ace version and done nearly 40 brews on mine and find it brilliant to use. By all means watch David Heath videos but you may fall asleep also he will rubbish well I should not say rubbish but everything unless it has a Grainfather badge on it is not as good to him but you will glean some good info from some of his vids
good luck I am sure whatever you buy will be a step forward in your brewing quest

There are many lookalikes out there. But I can tell you that the temp control is great.

Every once in a while they will invent new setups. Look at de Brewster Beacon! I got a BrewMonk, bought it in August last year. In december they came with an update.. The possibilty to put the malt pipe in two positions...

It's a matter of personal preference but I don't think the all in 1 systems are that great and there more expensive than a 50l shiny stainless 3 vessel setup from brew builder/angel home brew etc.

They are expensive (even the cheaper ones) frowned on by some brewers and it takes a while to recoup the initial outlay but I cannot remember a single post where an all in one owner has said they regret buying one, as you say it's all about personal preference.

Latest posts

Back