All the gear and some idea..

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Regfixit

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm based in Handforth Cheshire and have done a lot of reading on this very helpful forum so am hoping I have a good idea of how to get started.
I seem to have been on a bit of a beer spending splurge in recent weeks, prompted by dry January and seeing an ad from a company that deal in home bar setups/rentals - Kegman. I decided February would definitely not be dry!

I decided to set up my own system and got a Lindr CWP-100 chiller plus a second hand font from ebay, some valves and pipes and regulators plus a CO2 cylinder and then bought a keg of Moretti and spent a weekend making my bar out of decking from B&Q

I was a bit wary of how quickly I could drink my way through a keg before it goes off and so got a smaller 30l one of Moretti. It lasted two weeks!
I then got a 50l Stella, an old favourite, but I was shocked to read that having already reduced the ABV to 4.8 it will now be 4.6 in future. A shadow of its former self in the eighties and nineties when as I was at university and a session on Stella always ended in silliness. Fortunately my keg is old stock and still 4.8, but it prompted me to Google a bit more and I came across various homebrew recipes for authentic Stella and so I decided it was time to get back into home brewing.

I've ordered a Grainfather 30l conical fermenter that arrives on Monday. I know this is rather spendy of me and usually people start off with a plastic bucket, etc. But I have done that as a teenager and as I want to brew lagers as well as ales, I will be able to hook up the cold water recirculation from the CWP-100 to the fermenter to get the cold temperatures needed to brew lagers. I also read that temperature control of the fermentation is one of the key success factors for home brewing, so given I've not been on holiday in ages I thought I'd invest that saved money in quality from the outset.

My first brew will be a Youngs American Pale Ale kit that I have read good reports of on this forum. I plan to keg it and serve through my existing font setup when it's ready.
I've also ordered a Robobrew to get into all grain later, but that's on backorder at the moment.

I know I have spent loads and am at risk of being "all the gear with no idea", but am hoping that having read a lot and bought quality kit, I'll be making some really nice brews for years to come.

Cheers 🍻

Welcome to the forum, awesome looking bar you've built. Are you married? :laugh8: My wife would never let me get away with that.

Seriously though, you've got some good kit on the way and here's to your future in the all grain world.

Welcome to the forum, awesome looking bar you've built. Are you married? :laugh8:
This is a brewing forum, not Tinder, foxbat....! 🤣

Welcome Regfixit! As you can see it’s pretty friendly here (maybe too friendly! 😜). Looks like youre well on your way, good luck on your first brew and may it outshine the new cats pee Stella!

Thanks all for your welcomes !
You guessed it Foxbat - happily divorced 😉 with a sixteen year old son who is just starting his beer journey and a girlfriend who hasn't yet put her foot down at repurposing the kitchen as a workshop for such projects 😂

Looking forward to sampling my first brew in month or so.

One question I had was about kegging - I'm looking at Corny kegs which only hold 19 litres so would have a bit left over to bottle. I'm planning to force carb the keg with CO2 and so will do that after clearing. Should I use finings or just cold rest would be enough ( don't want sediment in the keg coming up with every pint) and also if do clear the beer, then will bottling the leftover still work i.e. will there be enough yeast remnants to carb the bottled part. Do people bottle first before fully clear and guestimate how much to leave for the keg ?

You guessed it Foxbat - happily divorced 😉 with a sixteen year old son who is just starting his beer journey and a girlfriend who hasn't yet put her foot down at repurposing the kitchen as a workshop for such projects 😂

One question I had was about kegging - I'm looking at Corny kegs which only hold 19 litres so would have a bit left over to bottle. I'm planning to force carb the keg with CO2 and so will do that after clearing. Should I use finings or just cold rest would be enough ( don't want sediment in the keg coming up with every pint) and also if do clear the beer, then will bottling the leftover still work i.e. will there be enough yeast remnants to carb the bottled part. Do people bottle first before fully clear and guestimate how much to leave for the keg ?

To minimise contact with oxygen I go straight from a truly airtight fermenter to keg and fine in the keg with "Clear it" 2 part finings. The keg is purged with CO2 before leaving to force carbonate. About half a pint will need throwing away when the keg is first tapped.

Any remaining goes to bottles and has no problem carbing with sugar.

"Should I use finings or just cold rest"

Do you use protofloc or something similar (Irish Moss) at the end of your boil?

If you do a cold crash and/or time should clear the beer

Force carbed cornies have very little sediment in the bottom (half pint at most)

If White Labs get around to releasing WLP815 then I'll be doing a Stella clone like they make in Leuven not the **** Brit-lager we get from AB InBeV UK.

Stella, an old favourite, but I was shocked to read that having already reduced the ABV to 4.8 it will now be 4.6 in future. A shadow of its former self in the eighties and nineties

As larger go I always liked the taste of Stella though as you point out I did used to find the end of the evening was a bit hazy sometimes.

We have a few cans of Stella in the fridge at home and I also thought wow this doesn't taste like I remember. Not as full flavored more like wazzy water like Fosters or something. I did notice it is 4.6% I dont drink for the strength but due to the taste theyve lost that one for me.

buddsy

Is this serious?
I seem to have endless Stella, and it seems stronger in the morning. I have been flushing it down the toilet all these years.

Latest posts

Back