Alternatives to Keezers/Kegerators??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith W

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am nearly ready to take the plunge and buy some kegs and a way to cool them. They are going to live outside under my covered pergola where I am building an outdoor kitchen. I was planning on hiding a Keezer behind a partition wall and mounting the taps on the wall but I am wondering if I could find something with a smaller footprint, maybe a couple used beer chiller thingy's would be better ( Is is called a glycol chiller)? or maybe there is a more DIY option ? Can someone point me in the right direction or tell me what search terms to use?

Cheers

Hi,

Some questions - how often will you be drinking the beer, how many beers do you want on tap, what else might you want to keep cold (bottles cans etc)?

Chillers are great and I looked into them but either they are on all the time or you need to turn them on an hour or two before you want cold beer.

I like a keezer/kegerator as you need to store the kegs somewhere anyway, and the footprint isn't huge. And it gives me loads of room to store cans and even food sometimes ;)

The chillers I've seen haven't been that cheap, you can diy - I saw someone here made one inside their keezer to add an extra tap when there was no room for another keg.

Although a chiller will chill the beer very well, you'll still need to keep your kegs cool on warm days or you'll have a problem serving anything but froth.

I plan to have 4 or 5 beers on at any one time and also maybe a hard seltzer. If the chillers are a hassle I will just go with a keezer but I thought before I spent the money I should consider the alternatives. I have seen something about chilling the kegs with tubes wrapped around them but I didn't really understand what was being used to cool them.

Latest posts

Back