Am I doing something wrong - autosiphon?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yabezag

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi All. Finally got to bottle my Stones smoked porter today.. but had real issues getting a good transfer from the fermenting bucket to the bottling bucket. I tried the tap-tube method but was not happy with the tap to tube seal as it was sucking in air - obviously a “no no”.. Switched to my auto syphon but that started burping air through the hose (never had much luck with it- was getting desperate). Went back to tap and hose and angled the hose spiral to get bubble-free flow and ran off the side of the fermenter bucket, just above the fill level. I usually keg via the wider black tap and hose which is fine. Really frustrated that my autosiphon does not work as a fall back; is the siphon faulty or has the user (me) set it up wrong!? On reflection I should have bottled straight off the FV- but dosing each bottle seemed like a chore, whenever I have down this with 2 l Pet bottles Itriggers a foaming reaction and have to be really quick with the cap. Any ideas as to what to correct welcome.
Thanks,

I had the same issues...the plastic auto syphons aren't built to last...the seal inside the tube is the problem..you can change it..

Not sure what you gentlemen do to your autosiphons, but I've been using the same one I started with over 8 years ago. Although i must admit it's now got a crack that will see it replaced. Of course, I don't beat the kids or the dog with it. 🤠

I bought a Really cheap one to start with but it arrived broken, as did the replacement. After that I paid a bit more (£15 ish) and it works great. One pump and it flows smoothly with no air getting in and leaves all the sediment in the FV unlike when I used to keg through the tap.

A bit off topic, but I like to explore different ways to do stuff (and probably make it more complicated as a result :laugh8: ) so I don’t use a syphon as such. I have a float and tube assembly from a top tap King Keg that I’ve plumbed in to the bottom tap of my FV. So I just turn the tap ON and beer from the top comes out until the float sinks to the trub in the bottom. Leaves about 5-8 mm of beer in the bottom.
1CC12BC3-68E2-4B31-8CFA-840539817BA2.jpeg

A bit off topic, but I like to explore different ways to do stuff (and probably make it more complicated as a result :laugh8: ) so I don’t use a syphon as such. I have a float and tube assembly from a top tap King Keg that I’ve plumbed in to the bottom tap of my FV. So I just turn the tap ON and beer from the top comes out until the float sinks to the trub in the bottom. Leaves about 5-8 mm of beer in the bottom.
View attachment 33704

Genius

I always have a fight with my autosiphon, it's fine once I get it going but for whatever reason it works fine until I try using it in the FV then it seems to take about 10 pumps to get the siphon going.
My FV's have taps on but they have a little hole in which just suck air in so useless, thinking of aralditing the hole up next time and see if that works.

Back