Amarillo Citra IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny you should say that Dave I have known that it is possible to shorten the boil for quite a while especially with later hop additions but have always chickened out until today but I accidentally put my first hop addition in at 30 mins instead of 20 so shortened my boil from 60 to 50 to compensate. If as it is said it is not detrimental to this brew I may start to shorten all my brews even further to save time but may have to adjust the sparge as boil off will be less

If there are no early (60 minutes additions) then there cant be a need to boil for that long, bring the wort to the boil, get the hot break, boil for say 10 minutes or so to kill off any nasties, then bang all the last addition hops set your timer to 15/10/5 minutes etc, throw them in and turn the heat off when the timer pings. That would pretty much half my brew time (all grain).

or am I missing something here ??
My brain wants to say something about boiling off DMS, but it isn't sure quite what.....

Also I'm not sure if DMS is such s major problem these days anyway???

If there are no early (60 minutes additions) then there cant be a need to boil for that long, bring the wort to the boil, get the hot break, boil for say 10 minutes or so to kill off any nasties, then bang all the last addition hops set your timer to 15/10/5 minutes etc, throw them in and turn the heat off when the timer pings. That would pretty much half my brew time (all grain).

or am I missing something here ??
Not missing anything no, but you'll need to reformulate your recipes based on the lower boil-off and therefore smaller increase in gravity between pre and post boil.

Not missing anything no, but you'll need to reformulate your recipes based on the lower boil-off and therefore smaller increase in gravity between pre and post boil.

I'll have a play around with brewers friend software over the weekend see what it say

Just catching up on this thread.
Interesting comments about the bittering additions.

I’ve based this around a GH single Hop ale from his book. He actually goes in with 54g of Amarillo at start of boil.

I’ll load this into BF later and play around with it.

Brewing tomorrow .

I use Porridge Oats instead of torrified wheat on nearly every brew now and have done for probably the last 20 brews and my beers are crystal clear and hold their head so I would not let it worry you

Last edited by a moderator:
So... I ended up replacing the cara with wheat malt and hops of:

25g Am at 60
25g Am at 15
50g Cit at Flameout
Then 50 of each for dry hopping.

IBU at bottom end of a IPA .

When will it be ready to drink? As am going to make a similar style beer using my Amarillo hops

235160D2-2DDE-47F0-80E8-365E27E2A968.jpeg
This is a pint poured tonight. It’s very decent , great head , lovely aroma, maybe a little over bitter so may ease that back a little next time.

I’m going to do this one again, or a version of.

It's been 3 weeks, how did this one turn out?

Latest posts

Back