Amarillo Single Hop Ale - Greg Hughes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the new edition there's a very interesting recipe for rose petal and hibiscus IPA page 134. With no rose petals or bittering hops. Not sure how that would work. There's no way the late hops are going to contribute 36 IBUs. Anybody else worried about this one?

So, I’m a little annoyed. Was going to brew this beer this weekend which takes 7 weeks grain to glass. My ingredients turned up yesterday but the yeast was missing out of the order. I won’t get it now til Monday earliest so next weekend looks the likeliest now to get brewing. I wanted to have this ready for Xmas but will have to cut the conditioning period down if that’s going to happen now!

So, I’m a little annoyed. Was going to brew this beer this weekend which takes 7 weeks grain to glass. My ingredients turned up yesterday but the yeast was missing out of the order. I won’t get it now til Monday earliest so next weekend looks the likeliest now to get brewing. I wanted to have this ready for Xmas but will have to cut the conditioning period down if that’s going to happen now!

That is unbelievably annoying. Anywhere nearby you could get some yeast?

You still have plenty of time for a Pale Ale to condition. Doesn't make it any less frustrating though.

In the new edition there's a very interesting recipe for rose petal and hibiscus IPA page 134. With no rose petals or bittering hops. Not sure how that would work. There's no way the late hops are going to contribute 36 IBUs. Anybody else worried about this one?
That certainly sounds interesting...Are the extra recipes worth buying the new edition for do you think?

That certainly sounds interesting...Are the extra recipes worth buying the new edition for do you think?
It depends what you want. All the old recipes are there unchanged and most of the new recipes are so exotic that you might wonder whether you'd want to try them: strange combinations of fruits, milkshake IPAs and a Brett recipe. Not the stuff I'd like to drink even I made a successful batch, but others obviously like that sort of stuff. I'm glad the old favourites are completely unaltered. It's for us to experiment with adjusting these standard recipes, I think. Apart from that, the book is as solid and well written as the earlier edition.

Last edited:
So, an update...I brewed this 10 days ago now, all went pretty well. Ended up with an OG of 1.056 which was slightly higher than the 1.050 I was aiming for. The airlock bubbling had really slowed yesterday so took a sample with an FG of 1.012 which is bang on the recipe. I turned the temperature up by 1 degree just to make sure the fermentation had finished, and plan to dump the yeast tonight and turn down to 12 degrees for conditioning tonight......Does that sound about right?

Certainly. Remember to burst the internal nutrient bag a few days before brewing to give the yeast time to multiply to pitching level. If you're not used to liquid yeasts you could use Safale US-05 it's a very close match.

I thought this just checked viability a few hours before pitching, not a starter in a bag as you can pitch the smack packs direct.

Dellboy...are you dry hopping it? I'd do that now for four days or so then cold crash it for a couple then bottle it. I wouldn't drop it and condition in the fv..

I thought this just checked viability a few hours before pitching, not a starter in a bag as you can pitch the smack packs direct.
So you can. But I understand the bag contains fermentable sugars to make the yeast numbers multiply. Might be wrong, though.

Dellboy...are you dry hopping it? I'd do that now for four days or so then cold crash it for a couple then bottle it. I wouldn't drop it and condition in the fv..
I’m not dry hopping, this is my first brew and I’m trying to follow the recipe as closely as possible....that said I’m supposed to condition this at 12 degrees for 6 weeks (I don’t have that long though). I’m going to keg it rather than bottle and have no way of regulating the temperature at the moment. Hence was going to drop it down in the conical for a few weeks and keg it in time to get it carbonated ready for Christmas.....

If it's done keg it,carb it and bung it in the shed...it'll be lovely by Christmas.
I did think of that, only I wasn’t sure if a consistent temperature was still required at this stage? It’s gonna range from anywhere between freezing (possibly colder) and the 12 degrees the book says to condition it at out in the shed?

There is sometimes the suggestion to dry hop in a little Brewers Tip toward the bottom of the page in the 2013 edition (e.g. on the Spring Beer pg 112 or the EKG single hop on 119).

Totally agree with the list of the single hop recipes, glad to hear that has been addressed in the new edition. Are there any new recipes in the new one? (i.e. is it worth updated my library ;) )

This recipe (the Amarillo) was the first one I ever looked at in the book and have thought about brewing it so many times but never got around to it. Next year for sure! I will adjust for a 19L boil/15L batch and I'm thinking to add around 250-300g of Melanoidin.

I'd like to know if anyone else has done an EKG smash, I've got a shed load of it, bought by accident that I need to use up. An EKG smash just sounds a little boring.....

A good EKG smash is the summit of British pale ales in my opinion wink... . I aim for about 4.5%ABV, 40ish IBUs, with plenty of late hops and a dry hop and end up with something not too far off Summer Lightning back in the day. I guess it depends if you like that sort of thing.

Latest posts

Back