Amarillo Single Hop Ale - Greg Hughes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dellboy78lfc

Reaction score
I’ve decided to have a crack at this recipe and am sourcing my ingredients.

With regards to the hops the book uses Amarillo 5% but the hop pellets I can get are 9.1%. How do I adjust the amounts to stay true to the book?

What he said, but personally I would keep the late hop additions the same and only reduce the early additions by 5/9ths.

Run it through a calculator to make sure your not adding too much bittering.

I used this recipe as a base for one of my own, it’s one of my favourites. The second time I brewed it I upped the flame out hops to 150g and gave it a 50g dry hop. I also added 750g Munich malt. It’s a superb. Definitely don’t reduce the late additions, unless you prefer a more subtle hop flavour.

Just looked up this recipe in my edition of GH (it seems to be repeated quite a few times with just a change of hops) and I see that he doesn't suggest dry hopping in this or any other of his recipes. Odd I hadn't noticed.

Well, I think I’ve worked out the hop additions ok now and have ordered my ingredients. I wanted to stick to the recipe as closely as possible so I went for the recommended Wyeast 1056 yeast strain but will one pack of this be enough for a 23 litre batch of this beer?

Well, I think I’ve worked out the hop additions ok now and have ordered my ingredients. I wanted to stick to the recipe as closely as possible so I went for the recommended Wyeast 1056 yeast strain but will one pack of this be enough for a 23 litre batch of this beer?
Certainly. Remember to burst the internal nutrient bag a few days before brewing to give the yeast time to multiply to pitching level. If you're not used to liquid yeasts you could use Safale US-05 it's a very close match.

Certainly. Remember to burst the internal nutrient bag a few days before brewing to give the yeast time to multiply to pitching level. If you're not used to liquid yeasts you could use Safale US-05 it's a very close match.
I’m not used to liquid yeasts but I’ve already ordered a pack so was just getting worried it wouldn’t be enough!

It might also make sense to use a cheaper hop that you have on hand for the early additions to provide the desired level of bitterness and save the amarillo for the late flavour and aroma additions.

It might also make sense to use a cheaper hop that you have on hand for the early additions to provide the desired level of bitterness and save the amarillo for the late flavour and aroma additions.
Quite so. In fact I find Amarillo gives rather a coarse bitterness. CTZ are my go to hops for bittering anything using American late hops.

I will bear that in mind for future reference. This is my first brew so I don’t have any other hops to hand at the moment! I used Geterbrewed and their custom kit service to order exactly what I needed for this one. I figured if I stick to the recipe and it tastes **** I know I’ve done something wrong, but if I start changing stuff then I won’t know if I’ve ruined the recipe or messed up whilst making it, if that makes sense....hopefully it is drinkable!

Just looked up this recipe in my edition of GH (it seems to be repeated quite a few times with just a change of hops) and I see that he doesn't suggest dry hopping in this or any other of his recipes. Odd I hadn't noticed.

He has only just added dry hopping to recipes that didn't have them before in the new edition. I assume dry hopping wasn't really fashionable when the book was first written.

He has only just added dry hopping to recipes that didn't have them before in the new edition. I assume dry hopping wasn't really fashionable when the book was first written.
2013 was the first edition. US style hoppy beers were well established then.

Dry hopping has been around for an age, the beers sent to India were purportedly dry hopped so I think it has been around for a long time.

I’m not sure why the same recipe is repeated several times with different hops rather than just saying this is a generic recipe to showcase a variety of US hops.

I’m not sure why the same recipe is repeated several times with different hops rather than just saying this is a generic recipe to showcase a variety of US hops.
In the new edition he lists it as one recipe with the different hop additions scheduled out for each variety.

Latest posts

Back