Amazake, Koji kin starter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukas

Reaction score
Hi, just about to use them but maybe someone used them in the past and have some advise. It's 20g pack. Thank you.
1525723227263.jpeg
1525723243166.jpeg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

I had never heard of it so had to search I cannot remember anyone here discussing it.

Koji is steamed barley or polished rice inoculated with the Aspergillus oryzae culture. It is responsible for the fermentation process of not only amazake (rice koji), but also miso (rice or barley koji) and a number of other fermented foods. Package includes directions. Traditionally this is what the different kinds of koji are used for: If you want to make amazake or rice milk, order the amazake koji. For miso, either choose short term koji, for the sweeter miso varieties, or long term or barley koji for the darker heartier miso varieties. If you want to use the koji to ferment or marinate vegetables or meat any koji will do; they all contain powerful enzymes that will break down protein, carbohydrates, and fats. Subtle flavor differences are the result of the proportions in which these enzymes occur in any particular koji. Not sure? Start with short term koji as an all-round koji, gain some experience with that, then move to the others varieties to expand you horizon. Color varies from white to yellowish tan. Amazon.

Thank you Chippy. At the moment waiting but might just go with sake and couple different rice base wines.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back