Ambient temperature advise for brewing..

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All done! In the end I figured buying San Star instead of the sanitizer the brew shop had sold me was the simplest route. And the Vinator Spin is a brill little piece of kit, totally worth €9 for bottling ease.
So, now I wait..... again.... 😂

Attachments

• 30C8D7F8-E657-4AD7-A423-27F89A850A38.jpeg
    30C8D7F8-E657-4AD7-A423-27F89A850A38.jpeg
    18.5 KB · Views: 54
Awesome! not sure how you added your sugar as haven't read back over the pages, but for a top tip, you can buy these little cylinder spoons that weigh out 3 grams 4 grams or 5, and then you just scoop up the required amount and I use a small funnel, over the top of the bottle and boosh, 40 bottles primed!

Good work man!

@Datanode101 I used the carbonation drops that came with the kit.... simples! 😀

So now today it can go for the final 2 weeks of conditioning.
What’s the optimal temperature for this as it’s an Ale? Is 4-5deg too cold?

I keep checking in and seeing if you have tasted your nectar....well done.....and enjoy :)

I am looking forward to reading about your first taste. I started my first home brew 9 days ago. Hope to bottle it at the weekend. I'm a few weeks behind you.

Well, I must confess! I opened one this evening even though I know it needs 2 more weeks... but it was really for comparison purposes to see how improved it would be in another 2+ weeks. As this is my first attempt I don’t have a reference point on the aging process.... so it genuinely was for scientific purposes!! 😂

So the taste is certainly there but it does taste like it needs more time, but that’s to be expected I guess. The color is nice and it’s very clear so I guess the cold crash did it’s job. What did surprise me though is that it’s quite flat - not much carbonation really. I’m hoping that will also improve with time... but as it’s been in the bottles 2 weeks with appropriate sugar and steady temp, I assumed it would be more bubbly.....so let’s see...

Yes, my understanding was that after the cold crash the 2 weeks carbonation is done at the same brewing temp as the 1st fermentation. Then into cold conditioning after for another 2 weeks.....

Yes, my understanding was that after the cold crash the 2 weeks carbonation is done at the same brewing temp as the 1st fermentation. Then into cold conditioning after for another 2 weeks.....

That's correct. As you're using PET bottles, you should have felt the bottles 'tighten' up as the pressure inside increases - a clear sign that carbonation has taken place. Did you notice this? Now the bottles are in the cold, the carbonation won't increase any further. If you feel there's not enough carbonation, you could bring them back into the warm for a week or so and see if you feel a change in the tightness of the bottles.

Failing that, they needed a bit more sugar.

Yes all the bottles have expanded as expected and are tight now, so the carbonation has definitely happened. It’s just flatter than I expected.... but maybe as it’s Amber Ale this is the normal level? Plus I’m probably comparing to commercial beers which may be gassier.

I guess like most things, it's down to personal taste. I don't like very gassy beers, so I know if the PET bottles have tightened, then it will be fine for my tastes. I would give it more time, although the carbonation won't increase, the quality of the beer should. If you feel you want more carbonation, then you'll know you're going to need a bit more sugar next time. I'm sure once it's fully conditioned, it will be fine!

So the necessary weeks passed (...slowly 😂 ) and my Amber Ale first attempt is ready since Jan 4th.
Overall I’m quite pleased... and hope it will mature even better over the weeks. It’s a nice color, very very clear (I think).

I think the only thing I’d do differently is perhaps use sugar instead of carbonation drops - it could use a little extra gas for my tastes. Better head retention would also be nice - but not sure how to achieve that? Maybe add some spray malt instead of the BE2.

Anyway, overall a happy man.😂👍 Thanks to everyone for the great advice up to now. I now have a Bavarian Pilsner in the FV since yesterday so let’s see how that turns out!

Attachments

• BB080B99-F42F-48AC-9AE6-F679CDC82B18.jpeg
    BB080B99-F42F-48AC-9AE6-F679CDC82B18.jpeg
    22.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 00430E41-3CDE-4668-8629-A9E1C67CFD50.jpeg
    00430E41-3CDE-4668-8629-A9E1C67CFD50.jpeg
    18.7 KB · Views: 38
So the necessary weeks passed (...slowly 😂 ) and my Amber Ale first attempt is ready since Jan 4th.
Overall I’m quite pleased... and hope it will mature even better over the weeks. It’s a nice color, very very clear (I think).

I think the only thing I’d do differently is perhaps use sugar instead of carbonation drops - it could use a little extra gas for my tastes. Better head retention would also be nice - but not sure how to achieve that? Maybe add some spray malt instead of the BE2.

Anyway, overall a happy man.😂👍 Thanks to everyone for the great advice up to now. I now have a Bavarian Pilsner in the FV since yesterday so let’s see how that turns out!
Very good. Enjoy your first brew. I have my first brew in PET bottles in my garage conditioning for over a week now. I too used carbonation drops for these. I bottled my second brew on Friday night and did batch priming for the first time. Looking forward to sampling them.

And things will only get better :smallcheers:

Back