American Amber recipe check

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Alastair70 I still have a few pints of this in the keg and as long as I refrain from drinking it all I'll be sending one in to the May comp.

I'm really pleased with it, the malt and hops combine like orange marmalade on toast - it's hoppy but not as in your face as an APA or AIPA.

I like it just as it is, though now the weather is warming up I wonder if a touch of gypsum might work just to crisp it up a touch. For the cooler months though I reckon it's bang on.

For those who've asked, the way I read it, American Amber Ale is what happens when you make an English Bitter with American hops & yeast.

👍🍻

@Alastair70 I still have a few pints of this in the keg and as long as I refrain from drinking it all I'll be sending one in to the May comp.

I'm really pleased with it, the malt and hops combine like orange marmalade on toast - it's hoppy but not as in your face as an APA or AIPA.

I like it just as it is, though now the weather is warming up I wonder if a touch of gypsum might work just to crisp it up a touch. For the cooler months though I reckon it's bang on.

For those who've asked, the way I read it, American Amber Ale is what happens when you make an English Bitter with American hops & yeast.

👍🍻
That looks like a nice recipe, good luck in the comp. I aim for a SO4:Cl ratio of approaching 1.2:1 with my amber beers. The nudge towards SO4 seems to give the beer a bit more life and should help with clarity, but doesn't seem to bring out too much bitterness. The first couple I made with a malty water profile ended up feeling a bit flabby.

Planning on using something like S-04 at the lower temp range to see if that drops clear and leaves some sweetness .
I did use CML Beoir a couple of batches back and that dropped clear
Beoir is a great shout. I used S-04 for one of the Irish Red brews, it was probably the clearest beer I made. The flavour profile worked well on the brew too, I'd hopped with Citra and they all worked well together.
I am thinking about using Columbus and mosaic,
The James Morton AAA was hopped with Columbus and Amarillo, and they were a great combination. Mosaic would fit really well too.
The ones I enjoy out here are more in the 50 ibu range.
My first brew AA brew was in the mid 50's and I found the bitterness overpowered the malt flavours. It didn't stop me enjoying the brew, but the first recipe tweak was to move the hop additions to later in the schedule and bring the IBU down to mid-30s. I found that was more to my palate.

I am going to brew an American amber today. I will be using Columbus cascade and Amarillo hops. Question is how much hops to use. The plan so far is
20g Columbus@60mins
20g cascade@10mins
20g cascade+20g Amarillo@ flame out

Dry hop or hop stand of 50g Amarillo. Is this too much hops.

I am going to brew an American amber today. I will be using Columbus cascade and Amarillo hops. Question is how much hops to use. The plan so far is
20g Columbus@60mins
20g cascade@10mins
20g cascade+20g Amarillo@ flame out

Dry hop or hop stand of 50g Amarillo. Is this too much hops.
My last amber had 230g between whirlpool and dry hop in 21 litre batch

My last AAA had 25g Columbus @ 60 minutes and 25g Chinook @ 85C whirlpool. That gave me an IBU of 46. The style calls for an IBU of 25-40.

So this is what my recipe is looking like, I have the mash on already.

3.3kg Minch pale ale malt
1kg Munich
300g Carared
200g cara munich 2
50g carafa 3

20g Columbus@60mins
20g cascade+10g Columbus @10mins
30g cascade+40g Amarillo@hopstand

60g Amarillo+ 40g cascade dry hop
Yeast bry-97

1kg Munich
300g Carared
200g cara munich 2
50g carafa 3

20g Columbus@60mins

Yeast bry-97

1kg Munich
300g Carared
200g cara munich 2
50g carafa 3

20g Columbus@60mins

Yeast bry-97
Just checked the gravity, 1.046 and 21 litres. Happy with the colour

Latest posts