American Pale Ale (THAIPAandLE) using Kaffir Lime Leaves

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrannBrew

Damo Brann
Reaction score
Brewing a new recipe today - a Pale Ale that is inspired by a beer (thairanosaurus) from staggeringly good, a local brewery to me.

It is not a clone! just really like the beer and wanted to do something that was inspired by it. Also wanted to try out some new hops and yeast. Using Denali hops for the first time alone with Imperial Yeast's Juice strain. Have anyone use either of these before?

Recipe copied from brewers Friend.

Title: ThaiPandALE
Author: BrannBrew

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: American Pale Ale
Boil Time: 90 min
Batch Size: 21 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 26 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.035
Efficiency: 65% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.045
Final Gravity: 1.011
ABV (alternate): 4.51%
IBU (tinseth): 28.63
SRM (morey): 10.52

FERMENTABLES:
3500 g - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (74.1%)
750 g - German - CaraMunich I (15.9%)
328 g - American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (6.9%)
147 g - Acidulated malt - (late addition) (3.1%)

HOPS:
13 g - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 17.92
10 g - Citra, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 2.75
10 g - denali, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.7, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 4.04
10 g - Ekuanot, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.25, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 3.92
30 g - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 0 min
30 g - denali, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.7, Use: Boil for 0 min
30 g - Ekuanot, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.25, Use: Boil for 0 min
30 g - citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days
30 g - denali, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.7, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days
30 g - Ekuanot, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.25, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 67 C, Time: 90 min, Amount: 20 L
2) Sparge, Temp: 25 C, Time: 0 min, Amount: 10 L

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
4 each - kaffir lime leaves, Time: 3 days, Type: Herb, Use: Dry hop

YEAST:
Imperial Yeast - A38 Juice
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 74%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 17.78 - 23.33 C
Fermentation Temp: 18 C

PRIMING:
Method: caster sugar
Amount: 50 (for 6ls)
CO2 Level: 2.6 Volumes

NOTES:
Dry hop - 3/72 hours days in. keg 2 weeks after pitch. pitch at 18c raise to let it naturally rise to 22c

Kaffir Leaves: make an infusion by boiling 4 or 5 leaves (which are first torn into pieces) then added to a pint of boiling water(or enough water just to cover) and steeped until cooled - add to beer for 3 days

Beer description:
Pale ale full of tropical vibes from loads of aromatic american hops, balanced with kaffir lime leaves. All backed up with a hint of malty sweetness. A light Summer Ale to enjoy over the long evenings.

I tried a similar on ein the Newcastle Tap last week called ThaIPA.

I was expecting a lovely hit off the lime leaves and was disappointed. This recipe looks decent though :)

Just an update on the brewday and other notes. Slightly over target temp which was more like 70oC than 67oc. Overspared but preboil gravitiy was 10.40 instead of 10.35, did sparge as my boiler was heating, so seemed to take less time to hit boiling temps. SG was 1050 and FG was 1014

Kegged it yesterday, filled my 9l keg full for my dad (as it was a fathers day present) and probably about 1/2 that amount in one of my full sized kegs for myself. the very small sample I had yesterday had a sweet pineapple/peach aroma, tasted the same but the lime came through after. Not too overpowering - will start to carb it up tomorrow ready for next week. I'll probably try mine portion of the batch on the weekend to see how the carbonation is faring. Don't think it'll last too long. Super fresh and nice already.
I still have some of my house cream ale left but I think this beer will disappear before that.

Latest posts

Back