The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there,

I've got something I want to try.

I've brewed a few pale ales that have been pale malt to about 75-80% of the bill, then 15-20% of Vienna or Munich and 5% carapils. I've also done a couple that are about 75% pale then a combination of melanoidin, caramunich III (crystal 60ish) and maybe a little wheat that came out great.

So what I want to try is to combine the two basic "templates" and do a brew with Vienna, Munich and Melanoidin to combine the features of both. Thinking like 65% pale, 15% Vienna, 10% Munich, 5% Melanoidin and maybe 5% carapils. My idea is to get the extra maltiness from the Vienna and Munich and then the toasty flavour from the melanoidin. I use Melanoidin a lot in other beer styles too because I love what it brings to a beer. I think adding any caramel malt would be overkill.

Hops wise I have the following in varying volumes but not sure what combination to go with to provide balance to this malt body without overpowering it - Sladek, Cascade, Summit, Colombus, Citra, Amarillo, Mosaic, Enigma and Pekko. I also have some galaxy and apollo but have them ear-marked for something else and I have been offered a packet of Ariana which i have no idea about.

I don't want a low hopped beer but I dont want an IBU in the 70s either!

Welcome any comments on the grain bill and hop suggestions!

Cheers!

I've been playing around with the grain bill in my apa...I definitely love the Munich,I've also regularly used oats. I do like some wheat as well! Last couple have had carapils in as I had some that needed to be used. Crystal 50 for a bit of colour and sweetness. Every tried flaked barley? I like that too!
As for hops..you have loads of nice things to try...lately I've just bittered with magnum at the start,a ten minute addition and then a hop stand at 80. Then a generous dry hop.
I keep notes and vary stuff quite often to whatever I have in stock. I really should decide on a house pale..

I've been playing around with the grain bill in my apa...I definitely love the Munich,I've also regularly used oats. I do like some wheat as well! Last couple have had carapils in as I had some that needed to be used. Crystal 50 for a bit of colour and sweetness. Every tried flaked barley? I like that too!
As for hops..you have loads of nice things to try...lately I've just bittered with magnum at the start,a ten minute addition and then a hop stand at 80. Then a generous dry hop.
I keep notes and vary stuff quite often to whatever I have in stock. I really should decide on a house pale..

I've used flaked barley in stouts, bitters and an ESB but never in a pale ale, interesting idea for the scrapbook.
I can use the Columbus to do the job your magnum does. Then either use up the rest of my cascade and summit or use the pekko or do a amarillo/citra/mosaic late hop. but i think that will bugger up the point of trying this malt combo.

I do think you should decide on a house pale and then share it on here. :-)

Copied from previous mail

Other than Red X malt and yeast I have lots of hops in the freezer and malts in stock at the moment. I have gone a bit conservative with the Red X malt @ just 42% of the malt bill. I'm going to use hops that I have in the freezer.

Here is the 20L recipe i'm going with:
Red X Malt = 2.5KG (42%)
Pale Malt = 2.5KG (42%)
Golden Promise = 0.5KG (8%) - (May change this to 3KG instead of the pale malt)
Caragold = 0.25KG (4%)
Crystal 60 = 0.25KG (4%)

Hops - total IBU = 49
15 mins = Centennial, Cascade & Simco - 25g of each
Whirlpool for 20 mins (@80C) = Centennial, Cascade & Simco - 25g of each

Yeast: London III

Water Profile: (50/50 tap & Ashbeck)
Alk: 18
Calcium: 185
Chloride: 140
Sulphate: 261

Thoughts and feedback welcome.

I’ve found my most effective APA grain bill is 50/50 pale and Vienna. It gives my APA a nice malty backbone which balances the hops nicely. I’ve added oats a couple of times as well and it helps with mouthfeel.

I’m lazy and usually just use 225g of Falconer’s Flight split across 15min, flameout and dry hop additions. The only thing I’d change is to up the dry hops I think but I never do because I’m too stingy to buy more hops!

With oats do you need to do anything special or just chuck em in with the rest of the grain and then mash?

Yes normally around 66 degrees. I will probably put another on this weekend. I don't mind changing about my grain bill. Might be base malt wheat and Munich with Simcoe and centennial
Grainbill looks good, it's because of the amount of sweeter malts that I suspected you to mash a bit on the lower side :)
Recipe looks very drinkable!

Just reviving this thread as being cooped up indoors is making me very creative on the homebrew planning front....

I'm now thinking of picking up a packet of Sabro to add to the pile of unused hops in the freezer, don't tell her indoors.

So I am thinking about something along these lines:

Boil 19l
batch 15l
abv 6.3%
ibu 66

Pale 3kg
Vienna 750g
Munich 500g
Melanoidin 250g
Carapils 250g

Pekko 16.5% 10g @60
Pekko 16.5% 20g @15
Sabro 14.8% 20g @15
Sabro 14.8% 30g @ switch off

irish moss 1 tsp @15

M-42 yeast (or US-05)

Dry hop 30g Pekko + 30g Sabro 5 days

Any comments?

With the current supply issues my inventory of the usual base malts is low
Maris otter 12kg
Pilsner 7kg
So I want to ration them as I have
Wheat 4.3kg
Munich 5kg
Rye 3kg
Red X 3kg
Vienna 1.8kg
So I'm looking at recipes of 20 litres where MO and Pilsner are not the majority. Help please.

Go for a wheat beer my latest was a heffweizen
3kg wheat
2kg pilsner
500g Munich
Or use the redx plus Maris otter for an Irish red ale

With the current supply issues my inventory of the usual base malts is low
Maris otter 12kg
Pilsner 7kg
So I want to ration them as I have
Wheat 4.3kg
Munich 5kg
Rye 3kg
Red X 3kg
Vienna 1.8kg
So I'm looking at recipes of 20 litres where MO and Pilsner are not the majority. Help please.

What about a kind of Vienna Wheat beer? You could do like:

1.5kg each of Pilsner, Wheat and Vienna, then 1kg of Munich? Save a bit of the pilsner and forego the Vienna. I've never used Red X.
What hops and yeast do you have?

Back