The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Loads of hops and yeast. I screwed up on the Pilsner malt by not removing 5kg I had used from my Inventory spreadsheet. And thanks.

Copied from previous mail

Other than Red X malt and yeast I have lots of hops in the freezer and malts in stock at the moment. I have gone a bit conservative with the Red X malt @ just 42% of the malt bill. I'm going to use hops that I have in the freezer.

Here is the 20L recipe i'm going with:
Red X Malt = 2.5KG (42%)
Pale Malt = 2.5KG (42%)
Golden Promise = 0.5KG (8%) - (May change this to 3KG instead of the pale malt)
Caragold = 0.25KG (4%)
Crystal 60 = 0.25KG (4%)

Hops - total IBU = 49
15 mins = Centennial, Cascade & Simco - 25g of each
Whirlpool for 20 mins (@80C) = Centennial, Cascade & Simco - 25g of each

Yeast: London III

Water Profile: (50/50 tap & Ashbeck)
Alk: 18
Calcium: 185
Chloride: 140
Sulphate: 261

Thoughts and feedback welcome.
How did this one turn out? I use Red-X quite a bit, but so far I've always used it at 100% of the grain bill. (Except one, which I'm wating to carb up).

The general consensus over on the US forums is that Sabro is a bit of a thug and is best confined to no more than 20-25% of the hop bill. (but is great at that level, it just overwhelms other hops at high levels)

Last edited:
I only used Red X on a Vienna lager
3000g Vienna
1000g Red X
1000g Pilsner
500g Munich
50g Roasted Barley
Brewed 6/12/19 still a few left really good.

I'm reviving this old thread since I got distracted and brewed (amongst other things) an American Wheat, a Belgian Golden Strong and a maple coffee oatmeal imperial breakfast stout. But coming back to this idea. Now my hop stash is like this: 50g of Apollo and 40g each of Cascade and Wai-iti. I do have 100g of Enigma and I should also have "some" Amarillo left over but I can use them elsewhere.

So far I have this:
Aiming for Boil 19l / Batch 15l, OG 1.061 FG 1.015, ABV 6.3% and IBU around 60

3kg Pale
750g Vienna
500g Munich
250g Melanoidin
250g Carapils

15g Apollo @60
15g Apollo @15
20g Cascade @5
20g Wai-iti - Whirlpool

Safale US-05

Dry-hop:
20g each of Apollo, Wai-iti and Cascade

Do you think the Wai-iti will play nice here? I don't have any other use planned for it.

Back