American Pale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Awrite folks...

I've never made an APA before, so I've had a look at what I've got and was wondering if this'll fit the bill?

If I brew this when the weather is getting warmer, I might use the CML Kveik yeast, if not I'll use trusty old US05.

HOME BREW RECIPE:

Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 21 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 27 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.045
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)
No Chill: 60 minute extended hop boil time

Original Gravity: 1.055
Final Gravity: 1.009
ABV (standard): 5.99%
IBU (tinseth): 33.28
SRM (morey): 8.05
Mash pH: 5.31

FERMENTABLES:
2.5 kg - Maris Otter Pale (48.1%)
2.5 kg - Pilsner (48.1%)
0.2 kg - Caramel / Crystal 80L (3.8%)

HOPS:
12 g - Falconer's Flight, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Boil for 90 min, IBU: 16.7
88 g - Falconer's Flight, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Whirlpool for 30 min at 80 °C, IBU: 13.83
25 g - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Whirlpool for 30 min at 80 °C, IBU: 2.75

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Strike, Temp: 65 C, Time: 90 min, Amount: 35 L
2) Temperature, Temp: 75 C, Time: 10 min, Mash out
Starting Mash Thickness: 6.73 L/kg

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
18.11 g - Gypsum, Time: 0 min, Type: Water Agt, Use: Mash
0.2 g - Chalk, Time: 0 min, Type: Water Agt, Use: Mash
2.13 g - Table Salt, Time: 0 min, Type: Water Agt, Use: Boil
6.73 g - Epsom Salt, Time: 0 min, Type: Water Agt, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05

Last edited:
Looks ok but personally I would use more of the Pale, maybe 5kg or even 6kg depending on ABV you wish to achieve. I personally like more hops(adding more at flame out) and only dry hop kits.

You can't go wrong with that recipe though, you'll still have a great beer.

Thanks guys. I was watching some APA videos on YouTube and they kinda all say that dry hopping firmly moves them to IPA territory, so I might swap out half the Marris for pilsner malt and add all the hops at flameout.

I'm looking for an ABV of no more than 6% so I can drink it all night without falling down. Most of all, I want it refreshing. Lawnmower beer, I think the Americans call it acheers.

I'm doing brewing this one this weekend which includes a dry hop. After drinking and brewing a lot of hop forward American and Indian Pales, I wanted to do something more that would bring the malts out instead.
As yet it's unnamed, grains arriving from Geterbrewed Wednesday.

Attachments

• TBA.pdf
    891.6 KB · Views: 262
I like your recipe. Nice and simple on the grain bill.

I agree with the dry hop addition putting it in the IPA category. It's your beer though, make what you like.

I've gotten into simple. No more than two hops. No more than two additions. No dry hop. Less than four, preferably three, fermentables.

All the Best,
D. White

I've updated the recipe in my OP, so I think that I'm quite happy with it now. BU/GU ratio of 0.75 which is in APA territory.

I might drop the Carapils addition, might not. I'll see how I feel later.

For water additions, I might go for light and hoppy rather than full Burton.

Cheers all :beer1:

Do you use the water calculator on this forum?

I think it's fantastic, best one I've used. It's simple like me so I understand it acheers.

That's exactly what I do. I can't get my head around the chemistry involved (not that I've tried that hard), so simple works for me. Plug in the numbers from your water report, tell it what profile you want, it tells you how much to add. Perfect.

Thanks guys. I was watching some APA videos on YouTube and they kinda all say that dry hopping firmly moves them to IPA territory, so I might swap out half the Marris for pilsner malt and add all the hops at flameout.

I'm looking for an ABV of no more than 6% so I can drink it all night without falling down. Most of all, I want it refreshing. Lawnmower beer, I think the Americans call it acheers.
My limited understanding of this class of beer is that it is similar to English Pale Ales but with American hops, more malt forward that an AIPA, and arguably the first and definitive example is Sierra Nevada Pale Ale which weighs in at 5.6%
However I must be lightweight.asad1
Lawnmower beer to me is 3.5% and less, a session beer no more than 4.5%, and 6% is not something to neck!

6.73L/kg seems a little on the sloppy side or are you doing a full vol mash?

Recipe looks tasty though. Happy brewing

6.73L/kg seems a little on the sloppy side or are you doing a full vol mash?

Recipe looks tasty though. Happy brewing

I do full volume mash, no sparge. Cannae be hooped with it :D

I had a bottle of Sierra Navada APA last night just to make sure that I like it, and I've got an IPA dry hopped with Citra to make sure I like that too. I'm not a hophead so just ensuring that I'm making something that I'll actually want to drink a keg of acheers.

One more thing, anyone used falconer's flight hops in an APA? It seems like a blend of C hops which is (on paper) basically exactly what I'm after.

That's mainly what I use, (FF and 7C's) but now FF mainly to dry hop with. (and wring the fook out of the bag) I get them from CML with the US Pale yeast. I sometimes use some extra cascade and first gold bittering and boosting the zestyness it's my go to hop head mix.

Back