American Wheat Beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crappyfish

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've brewed the above beer using a Seadog clone recipie and it taste a bit anaemic. Its hit the gravity specified which was 1.050 down to 1.012.
My question is does anyone find American Wheat beers a bit bland or have I done something wrong or will it improve with age. I am under the impression that wheat beers should be consumed young. It has only been in the keg for nearly 2 weeks is this not long enough?
It was a 20l brew the recipe called for the following
3kg Maris Otter pale malt
1.6 kg Belgian Wheat malt
0.1kg Munich malt
25g Willamette hops
30g Hallertau hops
Blueberry concentrate

Which yeast did you use? I once used MJ M44 as a wheat yeast, and I liked the result.

I did the one from the Greg Hughes book and thought that was bland. Since then I have brewed German and Belgian wheat beers, they have been much better.

My understanding (I have done a little research for an upcoming brew) is that American wheat should be fairly hop forward in the new world style fruity hops sort of like an American pale ale, with a hefty wheat addition and a fairly clean yeast.

I’ve done the Greg Hughes American wheat beer too, I personally really enjoyed it. Horses for courses I suppose?? I enjoyed that much I brewed it twice!

all examples display a mild, flourlike malt flavor. Beers brewed in this style do not exhibit the clove, cinnamon, or nutmeg traits or high levels of banana-like esters that are hallmarks of the Bavarian wheat beer styles. Got this off internet I think flour like means bland. I have the Greg Hughes book might compare recipies see what's different.

I used the dry Cml Gretel yeast fermented at 22c and thought I got a bit of banana going on in the back round.. I found it a nice refreshing pint. Hold my hands fully up to not being any kind and expert!!

I've brewed the MM Oberon clone which comes with WLP4040 liquid yeast. The taste is quite different to a Belgium wheat beer and maybe tastes more APA than I expected. Still a nice beer though.

Latest posts

Back