American Wheat

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Matty1974

Reaction score
Just looking at this recipe and how did you get from 28L to 14 L of water? Where did all the water go? Forgive my ignorance i am new here...

Jim Brewster

Malt teaser
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What yeast did you use by the way? Really want to have a go at a wheat beer, I'm working up to it.

Galvers

Reaction score
I brewed this beer using up leftover grain I have had knocking about for a while.
My best beer so far.
There’s lots of hop action in there - assume it’s delicious?

This is mine. The GH version. Very little hops, Wyeast 1010 American yeast. Tastes good, not overly clovey, banana - more refreshing I’d say. Kegged on Sunday.

Attachments

DCBC

Reaction score
Love an American wheat. Wife and I did a version of James Morton's 'Brew' recipe with Lallemand Voss. Turned out looking like this, and it's probably the best beer we have brewed with this yeast.

Attachments

DCBC

Reaction score
Just looking at this recipe and how did you get from 28L to 14 L of water? Where did all the water go? Forgive my ignorance i am new here...
You lose far more throughout the process than you would ever expect, although I must say it does seem like a high amount of loss.

You would expect to lose 10-15% per hour to evaporation depending on the vigour of your boil, and this is a 70 min boil. Let's be conservative throughout and say it's an aggressive boil; you could lose:

- 70/60 x 15% = 17.5% of the total volume which is basically 5l, which takes you down to 23l
- 4% to shrinkage when cooling (standard variable, no way around this) is about another litre = 22l
- 2-3l losses to hot/cold break matter and hop particles= 19-20l

maybe 2-3l losses to gunk in the fementer.

So I would expect 16l bottling/kegging volume minimum but the recipe seems to suggest 14l into the fermenter.

Anyway it's in the right ball park but it would be interesting to know what accounts for such high losses in this recipe.

Last edited: