American Wheat

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saisonator

Landlord.
Reaction score
I brewed this beer using up leftover grain I have had knocking about for a while.
My best beer so far.

Attachments

• American Wheat 2.PNG
    American Wheat 2.PNG
    112.7 KB · Views: 335
Just looking at this recipe and how did you get from 28L to 14 L of water? Where did all the water go? Forgive my ignorance i am new here...

I brewed this beer using up leftover grain I have had knocking about for a while.
My best beer so far.

There’s lots of hop action in there - assume it’s delicious?

This is mine. The GH version. Very little hops, Wyeast 1010 American yeast. Tastes good, not overly clovey, banana - more refreshing I’d say. Kegged on Sunday.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 114
Love an American wheat. Wife and I did a version of James Morton's 'Brew' recipe with Lallemand Voss. Turned out looking like this, and it's probably the best beer we have brewed with this yeast.

Attachments

• IMG_20200411_181346096.jpg
    IMG_20200411_181346096.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 111
Just looking at this recipe and how did you get from 28L to 14 L of water? Where did all the water go? Forgive my ignorance i am new here...

You lose far more throughout the process than you would ever expect, although I must say it does seem like a high amount of loss.

You would expect to lose 10-15% per hour to evaporation depending on the vigour of your boil, and this is a 70 min boil. Let's be conservative throughout and say it's an aggressive boil; you could lose:

- 70/60 x 15% = 17.5% of the total volume which is basically 5l, which takes you down to 23l
- 4% to shrinkage when cooling (standard variable, no way around this) is about another litre = 22l
- 2-3l losses to hot/cold break matter and hop particles= 19-20l

maybe 2-3l losses to gunk in the fementer.

So I would expect 16l bottling/kegging volume minimum but the recipe seems to suggest 14l into the fermenter.

Anyway it's in the right ball park but it would be interesting to know what accounts for such high losses in this recipe.

Last edited:
Love an American wheat. Wife and I did a version of James Morton's 'Brew' recipe with Lallemand Voss. Turned out looking like this, and it's probably the best beer we have brewed with this yeast.
This will be my next brew but with WYeast 1056 - American Ale. I'm expecting to have more hops flavour and aroma than the GH American Wheat which I enjoyed but I didn't think was anything special.

Latest posts

Back