Amphora wine kit.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frogbrew

Landlord.
Reaction score
Just ordered one of these kits from ebay (10 Ltr version, white, £10 posted) my first try with dried grape powder ingredients. Sorry can't post the link from my phone. Anyone tried the Amphora kits?

Not tried that one but I use red grape powder quite a bit (on it's own and to add a bit flavour to some WOW's) and I find it makes a very nice wine for what it costs.

There's a long thread on here I posted some time back, worth a read as people tried a few different things with it: https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/red-wine-concentrate-substitute.72829/

As coincidence would have it I just put a batch on two days ago, apple juice and red grape powder. I will be adding some mixed red berries to it next week (If anyone wants the recipe let me know).

Not tried that one but I use red grape powder quite a bit (on it's own and to add a bit flavour to some WOW's) and I find it makes a very nice wine for what it costs.

There's a long thread on here I posted some time back, worth a read as people tried a few different things with it: https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/red-wine-concentrate-substitute.72829/

As coincidence would have it I just put a batch on two days ago, apple juice and red grape powder. I will be adding some mixed red berries to it next week (If anyone wants the recipe let me know).
I'll take you up on that recipe pls, I'll probably buy a kilo of grape powder if this kit turns out OK.

Hi post up recipe I have some red grape powder and want to try it with other juices -apple, red grape juice etc
Thanks Pete

I've done the red one (actually given to me by some kind soul on here) and it's very good. And I've done the white, which is not so good. It's okay but has a very distinctive flavour. Not unpleasant but dominant to the point of distraction.

It's a quick and simple recipe for 23l

12l apple juice (i use Tesco value @ 70ppl)
250g of red grape powder.
1kg. of Tesco frozen mixed red berries
3kg approx. of sugar
yeast (I use GV4)
4tsp Yeast nutrient
3tsp pectolase
4 Teabags

• Put a big pan of water on to boil then add teabags let this cool to hot take out teabags then mix in grape powder
  • After an hour add this to your F.V. along with sugar and mix then add in your apple juice and top up to 22l with water
  • Mix well and check the o.g. and adjust if needed I aim for 1.085
  • Add nutrient and yeast, I try to keep at 21 - 22c and let it bubble away for a week
After a week
  • Roughly chop your frozen berries I use a hand blender in a small bucket with lid and add pectolase
  • Leave overnight (12hrs) then add to FV. If you put in a muslin bag it helps latter.
After 2nd week
  • Rack of to a second FV or carboy leaving fruit behind.
  • Allow to ferment out and then degas and clear as usual.
I written this down quick so if I've missed anything let me know.

Hi Led
have you ever put raisins in I believe it gives some extra body ?

Hi Led
have you ever put raisins in I believe it gives some extra body ?

Don't think it needs it with the red grape powder but I make a light pink rose in exactly the same way but with 8 tins of peaches and 500g of sultanas instead of the RGP. I just put them in the small bucket with the fruit and pectolase, I also leave the tea out of this one. I've made it three times now and it's nice both slightly sweetened and left quite dry.

I'm not really looking for a full body in the one above, think of it more as a light fruity red.

Last edited:

hi led zep

could you please pm me the recipe I wouldn't mind giving it a go.
Cheers
dave

This amphora kit 10ltr arrived today, can't wait to get it on but 10ltr fv currently has rasp/lemon tc in it. And 25ltr one has brewbuddy lager in.
I'll start a new thread once i get it going.
IMG_20180312_172512.jpg

Well I put this kit on 28/3, brewed as instructed with 1.7kg of sugar. Made up to 8 ltr mark (2ltr to top up later) with bottled water and added yeast, looked a muddy brown colour but smelt quite nice.Added yeast/nutrient sachet at 25deg. 3 days later and seemed it wasn't doing anything as no airlock on my 10ltr fv, checked instructions and said to brew at 25 deg which was way off my kitchen temp about 16-19 deg. So yesterday put in a water bath at 25deg so hoping I will now get it to kick off. I'll keep you updated.

Quick update on this kit, checked hydrometer sun 8th and still at 1070 with no sign of fermenting bubbles.
I had a cml wine yeast in my brew box so decided to sprinkle on top of my wort (is it still wort when wine?) And dropped temp to around 22deg, now bubbling away nicely, I may have rescued it.

Latest posts

Back