AMyd666 Brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right that's it out to the garage to cool down at 14 days old. All that gurgling meant something; it's now at 1.006!
The kit said it'd be ready at 1.008.
DSC_1709.JPG

Bottle in a couple of days, then on to a Porter of my own devising.

Brew No. 11 coming up - Porter 12 Litres

Using up bits and bobs:-

1475g Pale Malt
400g Munich Malt
200g Chocolate Malt
50g Roasted Barley
500g light DME
454g Golden Syrup
15g Northern Brewer @ 60 minutes
10g Fuggles @ 15 minutes
10g Fuggles @ 0 minutes
5g CML Kveik Voss

Going to do a full volume mash for the first time. Brewer's Friend calculated at 60% efficiency:

OG = 1.060
FG = 1.011
ABV = 6.37%
IBU = 35
SRM = 26.15

Right that's it out to the garage to cool down at 14 days old. All that gurgling meant something; it's now at 1.006!
The kit said it'd be ready at 1.008.View attachment 30740
Bottle in a couple of days, then on to a Porter of my own devising.
25.5 x 740ml bottles of 5.5% pimped Mad Millie Lager Kit with Munich Malt, 500g DME and Cascade hops completed today. I like my new Brew2bottle bucket with sprung little bottler. Less drippy than the one that came with my coopers FV that doesn't have a spring fitted.
Smelled so good today I was tempted to have pint, but resisted. I reckon it'll be carbonated and drinkable within a week.

Brew No. 11
14.5 litres of Honey Porter .

1475g Pale Malt
400g Munich Malt
200g Chocolate Malt
100g Dark Crystal Malt
50g Roasted Barley
Mashed the above in 12 litres at 66°C for 90 minutes

500g Light DME at flame out
200g Honey at flame out

Topped up with 2 litres of boiled wort from another pan and the rest with cold water. Thought I had 15 litres, yet not what the FV said. I was done faffing by that point!

OG 1.055
20g Northern Brewer @ 60 minutes
10g Fuggles @ 30 minutes
10 Fuggles @ 10 minutes
1 Britewort tab @ 10 minutes
50ml Vanilla Extract into FV
5g Kveik Voss sprinkled at 37°C

Last edited:
Seven days later, all krausen gone and a FG of 1.008. That makes it 6.3%. Will put it in the garage to cool and then bottle in a couple of days.

How are you finding your Voss pale/lager thing? I see in another thread that you’re drinking it!

Mine is pretty clear now, but it is overwhelmingly fruity (that famous Voss orange). Admittedly it’s only been in the bottle a week, so hoping once fully carbed, laid down for a bit and fully chilled, it might get a little more crisp.

Hey. I'm really enjoying it! The carbonation is spot on. It's got a kind of lager taste, but with a maltier, better body/ mouthfeel. It's fruity but not IPA fruity. Pimping it made a difference to what I reckon what would have been a bland lager.
Yeah chilling it longer would make a difference methinks as to how frisk it could be. I have to put up with a few bottles at a time in the home fridge, as I don't have a brew fridge for longer term conditioning ☹️

Seven days later, all krausen gone and a FG of 1.008. That makes it 6.3%. Will put it in the garage to cool and then bottle in a couple of days.
16 x 500ml bottles and 1 x 5l keg (with an additional 30ml vanilla extract). All primed with demerara sugar cubes.

Brew No. 12.
Festival Old Suffolk Strong Ale. Nice kit with two 1.5kg malt pouches, 1kg dextrose, 50g boadicea hops, hop bag and 90g priming dextrose. Makes 23l of 6%. I chucked in the 90g bag too.
Interestingly my OG is either 1.057, or 1.052 depending on refractometer and hydrometer readings respectively 🤔
Would the temperature difference be a factor? The tiny refractometer sample would be a lot cooler than the trial jar which was at 23°C. House temp about 18.

Expected FG is 1.014, therefore I either get a 5.1 or 5.8% beer. Hmmm, I suppose after bottle priming it'll end up around 5.3 or 6%.
Chuck the hops in at day 5 too.
IMG-20200914-WA0001.jpeg
DSC_1735.JPG
DSC_1736.JPG
IMG-20200914-WA0003.jpeg

I ended up with a FG of 1.012, therefore after priming I either get 6.2 or 5.5%. I'll cut an average at 5.9%!
1x5l keg and 34 x 500ml bottles.
What a difference cold crashing in the garage overnight made (was cold too). I reckon I got another ~litre before I got to trub.

Brew No. 13 coming up: St Austell Tribute clone (Malt Miller recipe, but ingredients sourced from CML, as I'm not paying excessive delivery charges).
Thought I was doing Proper Job, but got mixed up doh! Never had Tribute but the reviews on here sound favourable.
It'll also be my first new brew on my new Brewzilla!

Brew No. 14

23 litres of Woodfordes Nog. OG only came out at 1040 and the packaging said to expect a FG of 1014, so that would've ended up at 3.8% out of the expected 4.5%🤷‍♂️. Therefore I added 500g of dextrose to get it up to 1050, so that should see it to 4.8% 👍

Nog finished at 1008, which makes it 5.6%. Somewhat stronger than expected. Maybe I shouldn't have added the dextrose, but the OG was low..... Trial jar tastes good though👍

Mead bottled at 10 weeks. Tried it compared to a bought bottle. Mine is lighter, but will apparently darken over months. Its light and sweet. Nice overall, but the bought one is more strongly
DSC_1875.JPG
honey flavoured. Will use a blossom honey next time instead of cheap tesco stuff. Very happy with the experiment!

I forgot to measure the FG of my mead, so I poured some into the trial jar. The cork came out with quite a pop; it's still carbonated! Argh! It wasn't like that at bottling time. Tastes fine don't think it's contaminated. All bottles popped. Tempted to syphon back into the demijohn and leave it for some months. What do you guys think?

BTW the FG is 1010, which makes it about 11.7%👍

Brew No. 15

Kinda like a Belgian Brown/ Weizenbock Thing
15 litres

1.5kg Pale lme
1.5kg wheat lme
500g brown candy sugar crystals
Steep 70g Roasted Barley and 50g chocolate malt
15g Willamette and 10g Northern Brewer at 60mins
20g Celeia at 10mins
Mangrove Jacks M20 Bavarian Wheat yeast
OG 1071
FG 1016
ABV 7.1%
IBU 26
SRM 23

I ended up topping up to 16.5 litres to knock the ABV down a touch. OG= 1066, so should still be around 6.5%.
Fermenting at about 22°C.
This yeast smells different to others I've used (they're usually quite uniform in smell out the packet), so I'll be interested to see what flavour will be imparted.

Update...... Well it's closer to a Belgian beer than a Dunkel! Very much like Leffe Bruin. Much so, as its 6.2%. 7 weeks old now. Quite pleased with it, though I could've diluted it by another litre methinks to tame the sweetness.
An experiment turned good 👍😁
DSC_0002_BURST20210508160219941.JPG

A bit late in posting this..

Brew No. 16 Viking Blood (Cherry Mead)

2 x 250g Manuka Honey
2 x 340g Orange Blossom Honey
1 x 240g Tesco Runny Hunny
Juice of 480gr crushed and sieved sweet pitted cherries
2 teaspoons of Bulldog Mead Yeast
4.5 litres of water

I have never experienced a fermentation like this. The bubbling sounded like a machine gun for two days! Krausen is settling down.

OG = 1.109
IMG-20210422-WA0000.jpeg

I forgot to measure the FG of my mead, so I poured some into the trial jar. The cork came out with quite a pop; it's still carbonated! Argh! It wasn't like that at bottling time. Tastes fine don't think it's contaminated. All bottles popped. Tempted to syphon back into the demijohn and leave it for some months. What do you guys think?

BTW the FG is 1010, which makes it about 11.7%👍

Ended up syphoning back into the demijohn as the corks were standing proud of the bottles (though still sealed). Airlock refitted and now its in the garage to cool, degas and mature for a whole longer before bottling again.

Latest posts

Back