An Ankoù brewday:

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How much slurry did you use?
Now you're being technical. After racking a beer into secondary, I left about half a litre in the fermenter and gave it a good swirl before nearly filling two 250 ml conical flasks. I used one of them after pouring off most of the beer. In short, a massive amount and the new brew had a thin covering of yeast within three hours.

How long can you keep them in the fridge?
I like to use them within a week, maximum to weeks. So when I start a new yeast, I try to make several beers that are ok with the same kind of yeast. So I started with a bitter, and then a strong ale made with Vienna and Munich malts and then this one. I've got another flask of slurry in the fridge which is only three days old. But, this Young's Ale yeast seems to be a true top-cropping yeast so I could harvest some from that.
Any longer than a couple of weeks and I'll either start a new strain, or culture some up from a bottle of beer made with the original sachet or pack.

I see I haven't been here for some time, but that doesn't mean I haven't been on the brew: a number of "perfect bitter" quests including an "exact" replica of Adnam's Goat ****- we'll see how "exact" it is when it comes to drinking it as it's taking a little while to clear. Also plenty of milds verging on stouts- I seem to be losing the distinction with at least one of these- and a couple of lagers based on 1- all English ingredients (except for the yeast) and 2- Scottish malt.
But this is about the wildabouthops.nz recipe for West Indies Porter. I know @jayk34 is having a go at it and I thought I'd have a go too as i like a drop of WI. It used to be as cheap as chips in Asda, but it's about €2.90 a bottle here. I've already posted my take on the recipe on jayk's thread.
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/guinness-west-indies-porter-clone.95028/post-1051092Here are the changes I made to that:
First I only made 11 litres as I didn't fancy standing out in the rain to do a full batch.
I went for all Crisp's "medium" malt (everybody else calls this "dark") at 220-ish ebc and I'll be pitching this morning with CML Beòir yeast.
More to add when I've run off the beer and measured the OG.....

I added a bit of calcium chloride ½ teaspoon to my very soft water. Extraction was disappointing with a good few points below target OG. I'm not really sure about whether I should have put the flattened flakes through the grain mill. Anyway, I'll add more base malt next time. Apart from that, it looks the business, impossible to predict what it's going to taste like, and it's off like the clappers with the Beòir.

Last edited:
I see I haven't been here for some time, but that doesn't mean I haven't been on the brew: a number of "perfect bitter" quests including an "exact" replica of Adnam's Goat ****- we'll see how "exact" it is when it comes to drinking it as it's taking a little while to clear. Also plenty of milds verging on stouts- I seem to be losing the distinction with at least one of these- and a couple of lagers based on 1- all English ingredients (except for the yeast) and 2- Scottish malt.
But this is about the wildabouthops.nz recipe for West Indies Porter. I know @jayk34 is having a go at it and I thought I'd have a go too as i like a drop of WI. It used to be as cheap as chips in Asda, but it's about €2.90 a bottle here. I've already posted my take on the recipe on jayk's thread.
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/guinness-west-indies-porter-clone.95028/post-1051092Here are the changes I made to that:
First I only made 11 litres as I didn't fancy standing out in the rain to do a full batch.
I went for all Crisp's "medium" malt (everybody else calls this "dark") at 220-ish ebc and I'll be pitching this morning with CML Beòir yeast.
I'm ordering grain this weekend and doing when the fermenter is free

I added a bit of calcium chloride ½ teaspoon to my very soft water. Extraction was disappointing with a good few points below target OG. I'm not really sure about whether I should have put the flattened flakes through the grain mill. Anyway, I'll add more base malt next time. Apart from that, it looks the business, impossible to predict what it's going to taste like, and it's off like the clappers with the Beòir.
Looking forward to hear your opinions on it as yours will be ready before mine.

@An Ankoù how's the brew going on the fermenter ? My grain and additional grain barrel arrived today. Was hoping to get it done this weekend when my smash beer was due to be bottled, but I forgot that I am away this weekend for my anniversary 😳. Maybe next weekend 🤞

@An Ankoù how's the brew going on the fermenter ? My grain and additional grain barrel arrived today. Was hoping to get it done this weekend when my smash beer was due to be bottled, but I forgot that I am away this weekend for my anniversary 😳. Maybe next weekend 🤞
It's going very well. The head has fallen and there's a nice thick layer of yeast forming at the bottom of the fermenter. I'll have to give it a taste tomorrow or Friday, just to make sure it hasn't slowed down prematurely as the weather has dropped from the low thirties to the high teens! One thing I did note on a very crafty taster, is that the acidulated malt had soured it more than I had expected. That may well sort itself out when the beer's done; I'll keep you updated.
Happy anniversary and enjoy your weekend.

It's going very well. The head has fallen and there's a nice thick layer of yeast forming at the bottom of the fermenter. I'll have to give it a taste tomorrow or Friday, just to make sure it hasn't slowed down prematurely as the weather has dropped from the low thirties to the high teens! One thing I did note on a very crafty taster, is that the acidulated malt had soured it more than I had expected. That may well sort itself out when the beer's done; I'll keep you updated.
Happy anniversary and enjoy your weekend.
Fingers crossed for your brew, sounding like it's going well. Hope it comes close to the original. My thoughts are even if it doesn't match the original, it should still be a nice stout brew.

Time I posted a recipe.
There's some great stuff happening in New Zealand, it would seem, and I've been having a look at the Gladfield (maltsters) recipe book. This one is listed under the heading "Pale Commonwealth Beer" don't let that put you off as the recipe for Summer Gold looks a cracker.
Here's the original recipe:
https://www.gladfieldmalt.co.nz/new...d-(Contemporary-British-Golden-Ale---NZ-Hops)I'd reckon to get an OG of 1050+ from the malt bill so there's a bit of leeway there.
Notes on the original recipe:
- Gladfield American Ale malt is a bit more lightly kilned than their ordinary Pale Ale malt. M O extra pale?
- It doesn't account for the stated 86.1% of the grain bill, rather 55.6%
- Harraway's Flaked Wheat malt doesn't exist as far as I can see, it's just flaked wheat.
- I'm adjusting my pH with a bot of acidulated malt rather than phosphoric acid.
- Beta glucanase is a faff, just mash out and sparge in mid to high 70s C.
Vitals:
OG 1046 : FG 1011 : IBUs 28 : abv 4.6%

My take on the recipe for a 26 litre batch:
Mineral additions as recipe
Water treated for chlorine and chloramine
3 Kg Golden Promise (Simpson's I think. Haven't got any MO Extra Pale)
1.4 Kg German Pilsner (Bestmalz)
0.5 Kg Wheat Malt
0.5 Kg Flaked Wheat
90 minute mash at 66C (They say 60 minutes)
75 minute boil
FWH Southern Cross to 25 IBUs (28.5 g @ 11.4% alpha acid) (They say 60 minutes, I prefer FWH)
10 minutes Taiheke 20 g (also known as N. Z. Cascade)
10 minutes protofloc ½ tablet
1 minute Wai-iti 50 g
1 minute Taiheke 30 g
1 minute Southern Cross 15 g
The 1 minute addition will be flame-out additions.
Pitch with BRY-97 West Coast Ale
Ferment at 20C, then 22C in secondary then cold crash to clear.

Can't wait. I got all these hops (if I remember right) from CML.

No. I haven't, yet. It hasn't been in the bottle very long and I don't think it's carbed up. But I'll have sneaky look in a minute.
Cracked open a bottle after 16 days therein. Too warm, but it's carbed up even if there is a bit of priming sugar still discernible. It tastes nice, like bottled Guinness. It's in a swingtop so I've put the rest in the fridge and I'll have a proper taste tomorrow. Have been drinking hefeweizenbier with a couple of German holidaymakers, who've just arrived so I'm not sure my palate's doing it justice.

I'm hoping to bottle mine tomorrow
Let us know what your thoughts are on the taste as you're bottling it.

Bottling:
Take a drinking straw and suck up a mouthful.
Swallow half and squirt the rest into a newly sanitised and primed bottle.
Continue until full (the bottle, not you)
Cap the bottle.

Repeat until all the beer's gone.
Get another brew on.

You may laugh, but in the olden days when fermenters were plastic dustbins and we had to use a siphon tube, it was very much like that. And the cap was applied with a "mould" which had to be hammered to seal the cap onto the bottle.
Happy daze.

Let us know what your thoughts are on the taste as you're bottling it.

Bottling:
Take a drinking straw and suck up a mouthful.
Swallow half and squirt the rest into a newly sanitised and primed bottle.
Continue until full (the bottle, not you)
Cap the bottle.

Repeat until all the beer's gone.
Get another brew on.

You may laugh, but in the olden days when fermenters were plastic dustbins and we had to use a siphon tube, it was very much like that. And the cap was applied with a "mould" which had to be hammered to seal the cap onto the bottle.
Happy daze.
Jesus, l have self control issues in relation to alcohol. What could go wrong 🤣

Will keep you updated.

Latest posts

Back