An interesting lager....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewnaldo

Landlord.
Reaction score
Folks, need some help with a recipe and specifically a hop bill.

Lager is my thing, and I have been experimenting with warm ferments (Ubbe and Hell) hoping they will bypass the issue of no brewfrisge. Anyway I have stuck with Saaz for now but looking to mix it up a bit with something more exotic.

At the top of my list is a Motueka hopped lager or a Wa-iti hopped lager, tontry and incorporate the lime flavours they are said to carry. Any experience, of these hops in a lager or any better ideas for something a bit different?

Folks, need some help with a recipe and specifically a hop bill.

Lager is my thing, and I have been experimenting with warm ferments (Ubbe and Hell) hoping they will bypass the issue of no brewfrisge. Anyway I have stuck with Saaz for now but looking to mix it up a bit with something more exotic.

At the top of my list is a Motueka hopped lager or a Wa-iti hopped lager, tontry and incorporate the lime flavours they are said to carry. Any experience, of these hops in a lager or any better ideas for something a bit different?

I make a Mexican style lager using Wai-iti and it works lovely....I bitter with Magnum and add the Wai-iti as a late hop....around 40-50g at 10 minutes. I'll be honest....although the lime flavour/aromas are there, they can be quite subtle and I have found the flavours more prominent when using a water with Sulphate levels around 220-240.

Motueka is another great hop for a pale refreshing beer (whether that be a lager or say a Pale Ale or English Golden Ale)...I've never got a great deal of lime from it though....more melon and stone fruits.....made a lovely summer ale with Motueka and Citra once.

Whichever way you go...I don't think you will be disappointed.

My next lager will be the Greg Hughes Japanese Rice Lager which uses Sorachi Ace.

Fuller’s Frontier lager is a nice lager with a twist (They say “new world hops” but I’m pretty sure it’s just cascade). I have enjoyed it when I’ve had it but it doesn’t score particularly highly on Ratebeer or Untapped.

Another vote for Sorachi Ace here. There's something about this hop that just works so well with Pils or Low Coloured Pale malt. It's the offspring of a Saaz and Brewer's Gold marriage. Not sure if this has anything to do with it but I find it works beautifully in continental styles such as light lagers, Belgian Blonde/Saison/Golden etc.

In my opinion best used as a solo hop too because it has such a unique character. I'd suggest a light hand is applied as if you use to much, depending on the crop, you can start to get a lot of Dill coming through which may or may not be your thing.

My next lager will be the Greg Hughes Japanese Rice Lager which uses Sorachi Ace.

Fuller’s Frontier lager is a nice lager with a twist (They say “new world hops” but I’m pretty sure it’s just cascade). I have enjoyed it when I’ve had it but it doesn’t score particularly highly on Ratebeer or Untapped.
I’m really liking the fullers frontier, but getting it from supermarkets lately is becoming near impossible?

Another vote for Sorachi Ace here. There's something about this hop that just works so well with Pils or Low Coloured Pale malt. It's the offspring of a Saaz and Brewer's Gold marriage. Not sure if this has anything to do with it but I find it works beautifully in continental styles such as light lagers, Belgian Blonde/Saison/Golden etc.

In my opinion best used as a solo hop too because it has such a unique character. I'd suggest a light hand is applied as if you use to much, depending on the crop, you can start to get a lot of Dill coming through which may or may not be your thing.
When you say a light hand - how much Sorachi Ace would you usually add at the end of the boil?

I've had a commercial very pale beer with waiti...very good.
I remember a few years ago Marstons pubs did a single hop series, changing the hop on a monthly basis. I think the first one was a wai-iti smash and I remember being blown away at the time.

When you say a light hand - how much Sorachi Ace would you usually add at the end of the boil?

I tend to go 12 to 15 grams if it's a continental style and I'm not wanting it to be out of style in terms of hops character. However, if you want more oomph I'd say you could go double the above.

I tend to go 12 to 15 grams if it's a continental style and I'm not wanting it to be out of style in terms of hops character. However, if you want more oomph I'd say you could go double the above.
Thanks! Got a delivery from the malt miller today including a bag of Sorachi Ace, so will give it a go at the weekend. Never used it before, so looking forward to this. Going to try it in a Kolsch with Safale K97.

Brewday for my wa iti lager today.

Can anyone chime in with some advice of they think I am going wrong here.... Got 22 IBU worth of Northern Brewer for bittering then I have 10pg of wa iti to spread out. Was thinking 50g at 10 mins, 25g at 5 mins then 25g at flameout to keep it all as late flavpur/aroma. Comes out as 26 IBU.

Does anyone think I am doing this wrong or likely to miss our on anything from the hop by leaving it all late?

I wouldn't use that much hops in a lager. If you want a hoppy lager you could go 25g at 15 minutes and 25g at FO.

You can always save the other 50g for the next brew.

I wouldn't use that much hops in a lager. If you want a hoppy lager you could go 25g at 15 minutes and 25g at FO.

You can always save the other 50g for the next brew.
Ach, too late now. Nothing to lose I suppose.... Guess it will be drinkable if a little hoppy. As long as its not too nitter, which its hsouldnt be then at least I will get a good idea of what wa-iti is all about!!

It's all a learning experience and you are right, you'll certainly know what wai-iti is all about! It might be great! Wai-iti is pleasant but not overpowering, so should be quaffable. If it's too much, then late hop additions fade over the weeks, so just wait for it to mellow out. But there are some very hoppy, even dry hopped lagers out there at the moment. Style guide lines are being pushed all the time. Let us know how it turns out.

Just found this post from 2012 - Link - the first time I ever tasted wai-iti - funny I can still remember that pint like it was yesterday! Hard to believe at the time I'd never tried Galaxy either!

Back