And now for something different.....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Brewed my first stout this eve.

Oatmeal breakfast stout from
GEB

Measured out my water and additions last night so I could come home and brew.
27L of mash water, I added half a campden, 5ml of CRS, a tsp of calcium chloride and just under half a teaspoon of gypsum. ( I need some jewellers scales really)
I also added 4ml of CRS to the sparge water, after reading Strange Steve’s thread, specifically the bit about having low alkalinity sparge water.

Turned the water on to heat up, but playing with the kids meant that I took my eye off it at it went up to 87 degrees, so had a bit of a delay while it cooled again.

Let it cool to 72 degrees and added grains. The kit instructions said to mash oats separately for half hour before adding grains, but they were all in one bag so I split the difference and added the lot for 80minutes. Mash temp was 68 to start and 67 at the end

It smelled absolutely lovely; really chocolatey
7A14E629-0410-4B5A-867B-7F8946CF8FC4.jpeg

0AB77A4E-435D-4717-8A19-CA24DC4F61D7.jpeg

After the mash I dropped the bag into a spare FV and added 5.5l of 75 degree water, give it a stir, squeezed the bag and added it to the boiler.

This gave me a pre boil volume of 26l @1048.

Added the hops. There was only one hop addition for this recipe, so I left it for 45m before adding the chiller and a protofloc.

Post boil volume was 22l.

chilled to 42 degrees, dropped into FV and added a spoon of harvested hornindial kveik (my third brew with this pack of yeast). Pitch temp was 38 degrees.

Wrapped in a sleeping bag and left to ferment.
No temp control again with this, but I have put the inkbird on the FV so I can see how fast the temp drops.
DBBDD8D2-B344-476E-B660-D1057A98F553.jpeg

Volume into fermenter was a touch over 20L @ 1056 (ish, my trial jar is buckled). Although I’ve got the last two (ish) litres in jug, so depending how it settles I may add this to the fermenter.

Not massively keen on doing kits as my numbers are all over the place, but I’m sure it will turn out ok.

Plan is to put half into a keg and bottle half and save for Christmas, but if it’s nice we’ll see 😂

SG down to 1.018 today, which puts it at 5%.
Recipe sheet from GEB says FG should be 1.015, but this is with Nottingham yeast. I used the kveik so not sure if it will drop lower than 1.015 or not, so I’ll leave it a bit longer.
Had a taste and it was amazing. Really rich with some nice chocolate and nutty tones to it.

Can’t wait to get this into the keg. There’s no chance that this is going to see Christmas 😂

This finished at 1.018, making it 5%.
Kegged it yesterday and had a few last night. A lovely pint.

Grain to glass in a week, although no doubt it will improve in the keg for a couple more weeks.

CBEADF06-8A20-42C1-AAB2-373F8AE72FB3.jpeg

Back