Andrew Neil to leave the BBC 'with heavy heart'

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Numerous members have said the BBC is biased do you think this new news channel will be a breath of fresh air -

Andrew Neil is launching a 24-hour TV channel to rival rolling news from the BBC and Sky.

“We will champion robust, balanced debate and a range of perspectives on the issues that affect everyone in the UK, not just those living in the London area.”

1601061720252.png

Andrew Neil is launching a 24-hour TV channel to rival rolling news from the BBC and Sky.

Mr Neil will be the face and chairman of GB News, bringing to an end of his relationship with the BBC, where he has been one of the most respected political interviewers.

Plans are in place for “Britain’s news channel”, aimed at those who feel “underserved and unheard by their media”, to launch early next year.

The channel could shake up the TV news landscape, currently dominated by Sky News and BBC News.

As well as being appointed chairman and broadcaster, the former Sunday Times editor will host a flagship evening programme in primetime, leading the programming line-up.

The 71-year-old said: “GB News is the most exciting thing to happen in British television news for more than 20 years.

“We will champion robust, balanced debate and a range of perspectives on the issues that affect everyone in the UK, not just those living in the London area.”

Neil, best known for The Andrew Neil Show, as well as This Week and Daily Politics on the BBC, added: “We’ve seen a huge gap in the market for a new form of television news.

“GB News is aimed at the vast number of British people who feel underserved and unheard by their media.”

The BBC confirmed this summer that Mr Neil’s self-titled show would not return to TV screens after it came off air during the pandemic.

It said at the time it was in discussions about a new interview series with Mr Neil.

The BBC thanked Neil for his work at the corporation and wished him luck in his new role.

A statement said: “We’d like to give our heartfelt thanks to Andrew for his many years of work for the BBC, during which he’s informed and entertained millions of viewers.

“From his early broadcasting days on Despatch Box in the 1990s to his recent forensic and agenda-setting political interviews, be has proved a formidable and hugely talented broadcaster.

“For years, he was at the heart of the irreverent and much-loved This Week and played a key role in the Daily and Sunday Politics, Politics Live and the BBC’s general election coverage.

“We wish Andrew every success in his new role; we’re sorry the US election coverage will be his last BBC presentation work for the foreseeable future but he will always be welcome at the BBC.”

Political interviewer and publisher Mr Neil recently dismissed speculation that he was in the running to be the next BBC chairman, saying on Twitter that he has “no interest in the job”.

At a time when the BBC and commercial media companies are cutting jobs, GB News said it hopes to create at least 120 positions.

They include more than 100 journalists in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland with the channel, in which global media and entertainment company Discovery, Inc is the lead investor.

GB News will feature more than 6,500 hours of content a year, made exclusively for the channel, which has secured broadcasting licences from Ofcom.

It has been founded by media executives Andrew Cole and Mark Schneider.

They said: “Andrew Neil epitomises what GB News is all about.

“He’s an exceptional journalist, brilliant interviewer and fearlessly independent.”

They plan for the channel to reach 96% of British television households via Freeview, Sky and Virgin Media.

GB News will broadcast seven days a week across the UK and Ireland and will be available globally on GB News digital platforms.

Sky launched a 24-hour news channel in 1989 and the BBC followed, in the UK, in 1997.

Former Sky News executive editor John McAndrew will be director of news and programming and ex-Sky News Australia chief executive Angelos Frangopoulos has been appointed chief executive officer.

GB News said that more announcements will be made in the coming weeks.

Media mogul Rupert Murdoch is also said to be planning the launch of a TV station.

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-09-25...-24-hour-gb-news-channel-to-rival-bbc-and-sky

Neil and Farage interviewing George Galloway will be some laugh.

What's news any way?

Who decides what we hear about?

It's all driven by private agendas and propaganda to keep the average person from asking too many questions

Why will he be any different from the rest?

My view on the news is "if it's important they'll ring me"

Just have another pint instead

Personally I think Neil will be a breath of fresh air. Although he is reviled by some for being right of centre he allows no prevarication from an interviewee regardless of their political affiliation. The BBC gets stick about bias from both left and right so it smugly declares it is getting it right. I read all three broadsheets ( being retired and having the time) and there is no doubt in my mind which of those newspapers' world view and values the BBC shares. A more objective approach, which I expect Neil to deliver, is to be welcomed.

The first time I learned to not take BBC news at face value I was about 14. I had the TV on with the volume turned down as I was listening to music. I watched police clearly attacking miners (this was during the miners strike) and thinking surly the police will be brought to task over this. Later the same day I watched the same report, the exact same footage but this time with the commentary telling me how the miners had attacked the police. It just showed me how our perception of what is happening can be influenced even when you're observing it yourself with the addition of a clever oratory.

Personally I think Neil will be a breath of fresh air. Although he is reviled by some for being right of centre he allows no prevarication from an interviewee regardless of their political affiliation. The BBC gets stick about bias from both left and right so it smugly declares it is getting it right. I read all three broadsheets ( being retired and having the time) and there is no doubt in my mind which of those newspapers' world view and values the BBC shares. A more objective approach, which I expect Neil to deliver, is to be welcomed.

I agree, we don't share our politics but Andrew Neil doesn't seem to take prisoners whomever he interviews.

The first time I learned to not take BBC news at face value I was about 14. I had the TV on with the volume turned down as I was listening to music. I watched police clearly attacking miners (this was during the miners' strike) and thinking surely the police will be brought to task over this. Later the same day I watched the same report, the exact same footage but this time with the commentary telling me how the miners had attacked the police. It just showed me how our perception of what is happening can be influenced even when you're observing it yourself with the addition of a clever oratory.
The miners frequently did attack police, fire crews and scabs.

I'm sure they did but not on this particular occasion. I wasn't really making a point about this, just the fact that the comantory clearly contradicted what actually happened when first viewed without.
OK, I understand now. I'm sure the police were in the wrong at times.

I agree, we don't share our politics but Andrew Neil doesn't seem to take prisoners whomever he interviews.

Personally I think Neil will be a breath of fresh air. Although he is reviled by some for being right of centre he allows no prevarication from an interviewee regardless of their political affiliation.

I agree and i will take him every time over the ones that let the politicians off the hook in interviews.

Watch from 5:20 if you cannot watch it all.

Last edited:
Neil isnt a bad interviewer tbf. His social media is a car crash though from what I have seen. His inevitable tears when Scotland eventually removes herself from the United Kingdom will nourish me for months if not years.

The first time I learned to not take BBC news at face value I was about 14. I had the TV on with the volume turned down as I was listening to music. I watched police clearly attacking miners (this was during the miners strike) and thinking surly the police will be brought to task over this. Later the same day I watched the same report, the exact same footage but this time with the commentary telling me how the miners had attacked the police. It just showed me how our perception of what is happening can be influenced even when you're observing it yourself with the addition of a clever oratory.
Was raised in a south yorkshire mining village, and I remember orgreave, thurcroft and maltby pits strike action, certainly saw how the people were treated during the strikes. and also saw the government payouts for the breathing conditions 10 years later. my uncle ted died from said breathing complaint.

I remember some Twitter spat between Neil and another journo during the Brexit shenanigans. Neil obviously hadn't done his homework and came across as aloof, bigoted and dismissive of anyone else with something real to say. He's all about himself. I won't be watching.

Was raised in a south yorkshire mining village, and I remember orgreave, thurcroft and maltby pits strike action, certainly saw how the people were treated during the strikes. and also saw the government payouts for the breathing conditions 10 years later. my uncle ted died from said breathing complaint.
Its all a matter of opinion.
I come from the East Kent mining area (its small and mostly overlooked). My great grandmothers partner died of mining related respiratory complaint.

Those who's dads worked down the mines were rich - they were suitably renumerated for the risks & it wasn't as if mining was the major employer in the area.

As for the miners strikes, what was hated locally (not by mining families, but by the rest of the population) was NUM militant pickets that were bused in from the North & Wales to stir up dissent. When this started there was a definite change in attiudes toward miners away from sympathy.

As teenagers we were told if you heard unfamiliar accents to get out of the way before trouble started.

OK I cast some doubt on the impartiality of the BBC but alleged totalitarian state style misreporting is another matter. Withhout any disrespect to anyone , particularly those who may have suffered, the politics of miners' grievances is yet another matter far removed from the establishment of a news channel apparently dedicated to unbiased investigation and reporting. My view is that this would be a welcome development but whether it lives up to expectations remains to be seen.

His Ben Shapiro interview is a thing of beauty. Squeaky little Ben, hearing that Andrew Neil was right wing, expects a free-pass. Gets his @ss handed to him. It just never gets old.

Latest posts

Back