ANGEL HOMEBREW - WE ARE MOVING

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Strange, as it seems both of you are reaching AH's servers.
Given that it seems to be affecting your phones, desktops etc but not when through your ISP then it either has to be related to your router or ISP's network (although the actual reason could still be at AH's hosting end).

Do either of you have another router that you could try with?
I asked Origin's tech support about replacing the router. Indeed, I have an old ADSL Belkin modem router that I configured with the Origin credentials, but I couldn't get it connect via the VDSL I have with Origin. However, their support suggested that would really be clutching at straws, and now that Baffled, on this thread earlier, said he has the identical issues, I would be inclined to agree.
Can you try hardcoding AH's IP address into your hosts file and flushing the DNS cache before trying to access again - I don't think it will make a difference but it is worth just checking anyway.
You're right, it didn't!

If of any help and using mobile with BT WiFi and edge and no issue.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210312-215341.png
    Screenshot_20210312-215341.png
    40.7 KB · Views: 60
Unfortunately no amount of DNS gyrations will change the gateway IP that you are originating from. The websites you have issues with are most likely using a GeoIP plugin that incorrectly has some or all of Origin's subnet listed as coming from Russia. I had a similar issue with Tesco thinking my work was outside of the UK and blocking access.

I doubt a new router would fix the situation. A VPN however would change your IP and so long as you weren't on a VPN in Russia should work.

I asked Origin's tech support about replacing the router. Indeed, I have an old ADSL Belkin modem router that I configured with the Origin credentials, but I couldn't get it connect via the VDSL I have with Origin. However, their support suggested that would really be clutching at straws, and now that Baffled, on this thread earlier, said he has the identical issues, I would be inclined to agree.

You're right, it didn't!

The websites you have issues with are most likely using a GeoIP plugin that incorrectly has some or all of Origin's subnet listed as coming from Russia.
Incorrect, but understandable.
I doubt a new router would fix the situation. A VPN however would change your IP and so long as you weren't on a VPN in Russia should work.
I'm sure you're right and using a VPN probably would be a work around. Unfortunately, the only VPN I have is OpenVPN hosted on my own router, which allows me to access BBC and other UK content when overseas, and so still uses my own/Origin'sIP address!

I think the solution ought to lie in Origin's hands as it seems bizarre that they should be using Russian based IP ranges when everyone knows that so much dodgy traffic originates from there. If that's the issue.

By chance is your IP in the range of 185.241.10.0 - 185.241.11.255?

https://www.proxydocker.com/en/AS60257
Incorrect, but understandable.

I'm sure you're right and using a VPN probably would be a work around. Unfortunately, the only VPN I have is OpenVPN hosted on my own router, which allows me to access BBC and other UK content when overseas, and so still uses my own/Origin'sIP address!

I think the solution ought to lie in Origin's hands as it seems bizarre that they should be using Russian based IP ranges when everyone knows that so much dodgy traffic originates from there. If that's the issue.

Are we being hacked by Russia I know have seen a lot of spam activity from .ru email addresses which gets blocked

We get a few of them every day, we have Stop Forum Spam set up here and it flags them in the new registration queue i then manually reject the request as i prefer to have control over who gets in and who doesn't as stop forum spam occasionally goes a little over the top and blocks by username these i always let though unless they look dodgy.

Last edited:
You could try with the Opera browser, has VPN (with selectable locale) built in.

This is probably the easiest solution, given that it looks like your IP range is getting filtered. You could also ask your ISP if they have a different IP range, to the one your current one is in, that they could change your static IP to.

You could try with the Opera browser, has VPN (with selectable locale) built in.
I didn't know that! I used to use Opera many years ago but stopped for some reason. Many thanks for the suggestion.

So I installed Opera on my PC and couldn't get the VPN to work: always got the "VPN Not Working or Temporarily Unavailable" message when I tried to enable it. Tried all the suggested fixes Google found. No luck. Eventually decided to download it to my Android phone: same problem. Disconnected my phone from my network to use the 4G network and the VPN worked fine. Could also access angel homebrew's website - but then I always could from the 4G network.
Set up my phone as a hotspot and connected my PC to it. Enabled on the VPN on Opera on my PC and it connected ok via my phone's 4G hotspot.
Turned off the hotspot on my phone, connected my PC back to my own network - VPN still working. And I can access angel homebrew's website.

Bizarre! Seems like Opera somehow needed a kick up the backside to get the VPN to work.

But now I have five browsers on my PC :eek: asad1.

Of course, the issue still exists and this is a workaround, but I'll feed all this back to Origin. I suspect though - as I mentioned before - it'll be very, very low priority for them.

Latest posts

Back