Angram Beer Engines - a tear down guide?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackRegent

Regular.
Reaction score
I've recently got my hands on a four pump Angram beer engine which I plan to strip down and thoroughly clean. (Apparently it came out of a pub following a refurb and hasn't been used for 4 years).

I've read @peebee 's excellent guide to attempting to reproduce cask ale at home and the incorporation of beer engines for that purpose and I plan on deploying his wisdom when I finally get everything set up.

I know Angram beer engines crop up for discussion on here periodically but I've read what's available (or at least what I can find) and I can't find specifically what I'm looking for.

Is there a guide available anywhere which does a step by step tear down of these pumps with a view to their thorough cleaning or refurbishment? If not, I might create one myself to stick up here but so I'm not flying completely blind I thought I would try to draw on people's collective experience of them before I get stuck in.

I am not sure of the specific model, but it has the water cooled jacket as well as the polystyrene sleeve on the cylinders. Clearly, the polystyrene sleeve will need to be removed to get at the cylinders, but it seems to be taped on. I thought I would just carefully slice down one corner to try and unwrap the sleeve in one piece, but has anyone found a good way to do this? I also thought the water cooling system seemed redundant and in fact just added a load of pipework that gets in the way. Will any part of its functioning be affected if I just remove it? Are there any traps for the unwary in their disassembly and does anyone have a particular sequence they would recommend.

Lots of questions, but hopefully at the end of this I will have a thorough guide that others can use.

My pump wasn't an Anagram but sourced a new seal kit for it at a really good price from RLBS. There are around 10 parts to change once the cylinder is removed.
Make sure you measure the cylinder stroke length or mark where the locknut is before loosening. Taken photos of everything is the only advice I can offer other than sourcing an exploded diagram for your pump.
There really isn't much to servicing them other than putting things back exactly as they came apart.
Mine doesn't have a cooling jacket, never found it necessary as my boxes of ale sit in a fridge for a few hours before serving.
Don't force any o rings or lip seals, just manipulate them or warm them in hot water to minimise any risk of damage.

Just added some pics. I should add I now know it's an Angram CQ (big blue stickers on its which I should have spotted the first time!)

I also know to change the silicone pipes on it due to their gas permeability thanks to @peebee 's advice given in other threads.

20201006_113728.jpg
20201006_113739.jpg

Last edited:
Taken photos of everything is the only advice I can offer other than sourcing an exploded diagram for your pump.

That excellent advice combined with my newly acquired knowledge that it's a CQ has led me to discovering these:

CQ 1.jpg

CQ 2.jpg

CQ 3.jpg

Taken photos of everything is the only advice I can offer other than sourcing an exploded diagram for your pump.
There really isn't much to servicing them other than putting things back exactly as they came apart.
Yeah exactly this, I’ve just done an Angram CO and it was really straightforward. I soaked everything in oxiclean and it came up good as new (ish) :) just watch out for the ball joint as the nut is galvanised and will corrode in oxi.

Right, having taken some time to strip down, clean and reassemble these I can confirm that it isn't that difficult and should be well within the capabilities of most. I'm not handy at all (but like to think I'm methodical) and I found it an alright process. Doing a strip down of the first pump took the longest as I was working my way through it bit by bit, but the second to fourth were fairly quick. I think if you know what you're doing, you could strip down, clean and reassemble four of these in an afternoon. If I find the time I will do a step by step guide as these Angram pumps seem to be based on a similar design to other manufacturers like Homark. One thing I would say is that if you're removing the silicone hoses that run from the cylinders to the spouts, find a good way to remove stepless hose clamps. My hands were sore as anything after trying to prise those bastards off. You can cut them off with a Dremel (obv I don't have one).

One thing I would say is that if you're removing the silicone hoses that run from the cylinders to the spouts, find a good way to remove stepless hose clamps. My hands were sore as anything after trying to prise those bastards off. You can cut them off with a Dremel (obv I don't have one).
I found using a flat headed screw drivier in to the hollow part of the clip, levering it, which unclips the clip. Really bad explanation - I am trying another one this week so will try to remember to get a photo

Back