Anna's Brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Relived to find I can fit 3 fairly comfortably into the fridge but will need to sort out something to lift the lowest keg off the base a bit to make space for the door lip to fit under. I could cut the door lip off instead but I do like things to look smart and smooth and I'm concerned cutting the bottom lip off will look messy - am I being daft?
Cut a wooden shelf to slide into the shelf rails at the bottom where the glass drawer lid would have been and cut two legs to prop under so as to take the weight and this will level your kegs without cutting the door lip.

Need to get a starter on today for the Mexican Cerveza that my son asked for as the next beer. Last time I made a Cerveza was with a Coopers kit, which seems an age ago now, but it really wasn't bad at the time. It will be interesting to compare at least in memory with me now adding in all the complications and fiddly stuff that I use now. This will use WLP940 a Mexican lager white labs yeast, and based on some reading about these lagers, I'm planning on adding some lime extract and salt at bottling, though might split the batch to half with and half without the additions... we'll see 😄. I'd love to try another double brew day if I can manage it and make another batch of the Bombay bomber, this time fermenting at room temperature and not pressurised to see if it makes much of a difference (also because my fermenting fridge will be tied up with the Mexican Lager.

Oh - also need to package up the rest of the hops, and sorry @Random Badger I found I hadn't posted your hops yet..I will really try to get them in the post in the next couple of days.

Anna

Need to get a starter on today for the Mexican Cerveza that my son asked for as the next beer. Last time I made a Cerveza was with a Coopers kit, which seems an age ago now, but it really wasn't bad at the time. It will be interesting to compare at least in memory with me now adding in all the complications and fiddly stuff that I use now. This will use WLP940 a Mexican lager white labs yeast, and based on some reading about these lagers, I'm planning on adding some lime extract and salt at bottling, though might split the batch to half with and half without the additions... we'll see 😄. I'd love to try another double brew day if I can manage it and make another batch of the Bombay bomber, this time fermenting at room temperature and not pressurised to see if it makes much of a difference (also because my fermenting fridge will be tied up with the Mexican Lager.

Oh - also need to package up the rest of the hops, and sorry @Random Badger I found I hadn't posted your hops yet..I will really try to get them in the post in the next couple of days.

Anna

Thank you Anna. It would be great if you can get them to me this week please as I have an IPA sat in the fermenter that I will dry hop with them. I won't be adding any lime or salt though! wink...

Anna

My current lager (of sorts, its warm fermented with MJ Californian Lager) has some lime in the boil, and I just added some lemon and lime skin lastnight as it has reached FG and just needs a few days to clear before bottling. Wont be ready before you brew years but i'll let you know how the lemon and lime additions plays at bottling time. The skin of 2 each of lemon and lime was a complete stab in the dark............. The admittedly very yeasty sample I tasted lastnight whilst checking gravity pre skin addition was pleasinly dry and sharp... I have high hopes for it.

I'm thinking...how many cornies is a "comfortable " amount?
And then there's crunching the recipes to 19l...
But to facilitate...garage needs rewire/extra sockets...and a jolly good clear out!

But to facilitate...garage needs rewire/extra sockets...and a jolly good clear out!
I’d say a dozen. After that you spend too much time brewing and your mind starts to turn to 30 & 50-litre kegs. 😂

I am aiming for 4 i have 2 at the moment 3 fv's and 2 pb's and a good selection of bottles, my plan is rotation with the equipment i have, i will still do 23L brews and bottle what is left over, the sticking point is the fridge so timing is important, i plan to use the pb's for cask type ales that really look after them selfs it's a minefield that could quite easily run to hundreds of pounds, at the end of the day it is a hobby but a bloody good one :beer1:

I’ve got 3 cornies and I fill two and leave one fallow. I find that this really improves the finished beer. I then rotate when I empty one.

I am aiming for 4 i have 2 at the moment 3 fv's and 2 pb's and a good selection of bottles, my plan is rotation with the equipment i have, i will still do 23L brews and bottle what is left over, the sticking point is the fridge so timing is important, i plan to use the pb's for cask type ales that really look after them selfs it's a minefield that could quite easily run to hundreds of pounds, at the end of the day it is a hobby but a bloody good one :beer1:

I was aiming for about four. I now have eight 😳

Ok quickie update as still busy today, and at some stage I need to reply to some of the above comments. Ok starter is on but the magnet I'm using I think is the small one and makes far too much noise 🙉
IMG_0528.jpeg

I also packaged and posted up the remaining hops but will post on that elsewhere. Taking a sort of half day off tomorrow as my bestie is coming up to visit for a work thing, so going to enjoy catching up properly and a bit of sun 😄.

Anna

Ok quickie update as still busy today, and at some stage I need to reply to some of the above comments. Ok starter is on but the magnet I'm using I think is the small one and makes far too much noise 🙉
View attachment 48716

I also packaged and posted up the remaining hops but will post on that elsewhere. Taking a sort of half day off tomorrow as my bestie is coming up to visit for a work thing, so going to enjoy catching up properly and a bit of sun 😄.

Anna

Sounds as though you could do with a break! athumb..

Back