Anna's Brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Urgghh. It’s 1am and I’ve just finished tidying up. I still have to do some white edible paint work on it and let the gloss glaze dry. It won’t win ‘is it cake’ but it’s not bad.
5FB76480-11C9-4B1D-B4CD-9DEED90A0A49.jpeg

Last edited:
😟 I've been really disappointed by the Raspberry sour I made , oh it's ok but really it lacks the fresh fruit hit that I was looking for and is just a bit meh. I had a glass of it last night and thought I need to do something with this. I have a spare carton of passion fruit puree which I'm going to add to the keg, add some F2 yeast and stick it in the kitchen at ambient with a spunding valve on it. There really is unlikely to be any significant amount of the Philly sour yeast left after this time and the F2 yeast is a maltose only digester and a killer yeast. The plan being the F2 will eat the Fructose but only that in the puree, will tolerate the alcohol already there, and stop the Philly sour digesting any of the sugars as well. That way I should, in theory, end up with a more fruity punch 🤞.

The Super Perle pilsner is quite pearly in that it's being v resistant to clearing, despite adding isinglass and being sat at 0 deg C for a couple of weeks. This is likely due to the NEIPA type volume of Perle that was added v late, it tastes nice enough but I'm going to stick it in a keg and leave it cold and forget about it for a while to see what it does over an extended time.

Oh and the cake went down with the teenagers, I only had a short while to add some text with edible white paint and my sign writing skills aren't as good as my cake making.

Anna

The Super Perle pilsner is quite pearly in that it's being v resistant to clearing, despite adding isinglass and being sat at 0 deg C for a couple of weeks. This is likely due to the NEIPA type volume of Perle that was added v late, it tastes nice enough but I'm going to stick it in a keg and leave it cold and forget about it for a while to see what it does over an extended time.
I had a look at your recipe and I doubt it's the hopping as I use similar amounts in my lagers.

Personally I never cold-crash anything and with lagers after 3 weeks in the FV they go into the keg at 6C with gelatine and don't get touched for 3 weeks, or a month if possible. The first pint or 2 will have a haze due to the bottom dip tube then they clear up.

If you had a healthy ferment with that WLP800 then I suspect there's nothing to worry about.

Some apologies are in order as there are a few people I've said I'd send beer out to and I haven't done so yet. I quite badly injured my right thumb at the weekend on a mandoline slicer which has made anything to do with bottling or lifting near impossible. It's being checked at the hospital later today and I will try to get some sent out this weekend.

…..

I quite badly injured my right thumb at the weekend on a mandoline slicer ….

Er …. most mandolin slicers come with a gadget that keeps your fingers away from the cutters. If your’s didn’t have one then you could sue!

Of course if it did have one then, like 99.999% of Users, you just knew that this trusted kitchen utensil wouldn’t allow you to be injured!
aheadbutt

I was slicing up a lemon when mine bit me; that stung and the mandolin finished up in the bin!

Get well soon!
athumb..

Er …. most mandolin slicers come with a gadget that keeps your fingers away from the cutters. If your’s didn’t have one then you could sue!

Of course if it did have one then, like 99.999% of Users, you just knew that this trusted kitchen utensil wouldn’t allow you to be injured!
aheadbutt

I was slicing up a lemon when mine bit me; that stung and the mandolin finished up in the bin!

Get well soon!
athumb..
Thanks - it does have a guard which I wasn't using at that particular moment, it is a quite significant injury that's going to take a few weeks to heal. On the day, I came back from my trip to MIU and finished off the slicing - with the guard - and finished making dinner only about half an hour later than planned. It has though been more painful since and needed seen again the following day with another return visit return planned for today. I feel really really stupid not using it with the guard consistently but it's too useful to be consigned to the bin. I have a session at a cookery school booked for a week and a half and I'm just really hoping I'll be able to use a knife with my right hand by that time.

Please get well!

As SWMBO has just pointed out, our friend Danielle over in France lost her finger after a mandolin cut! This was mainly due to poor treatment. The nurse bandaged the finger so tightly that I thought the photo Danielle sent to us was one of a horse chestnut - nearly black and shiny!

Danielle won €25,000 in compensation through the French Courts, but apparently the missing finger still hurts when it’s cold!

We have no regrets binning ours!
:hat:

Some apologies are in order as there are a few people I've said I'd send beer out to and I haven't done so yet. I quite badly injured my right thumb at the weekend on a mandoline slicer which has made anything to do with bottling or lifting near impossible. It's being checked at the hospital later today and I will try to get some sent out this weekend.

Ouch! That gives me the fear. If I lived a wee bit closer, I'd have offered a domiciliary visit. That's great that you still have a local MIU. Ours was shut during the pandemic. I hope you're fighting fit soon. Injured hands are no fun.

We call ours the thumb slicer since my wife took the skin off the end of her thumb.
As a plastic surgeon putting the skin graft back on and dressings went well.
I can see why you shouldn't live or sleep with your patients though. Normally a week later is fine by me
Wow, I bet she was glad of your support though! It seems there's a fair bit of experience here of injuries with a mandoline and I've taken @The-Engineer-That-Brews suggestion and ordered some cut resistant gloves for future use, I'm far more comfortable being the doctor than the patient!

Wow, I bet she was glad of your support though! It seems there's a fair bit of experience here of injuries with a mandoline and I've taken @The-Engineer-That-Brews suggestion and ordered some cut resistant gloves for future use, I'm far more comfortable being the doctor than the patient!

I might pick some up too. My wife is a liability with the box grater. The thought of a mandolin in my household scares me.

Back