Anna's Brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So why the stuck sparge? Well it was partly my fault. I'd ordered a fine crush in the MM Verdant IPA which is the most expensive grain kit I've ever bought at a whopping £49 🙈. It does have though an equally huge amount of hops included, and I am determined to make a proper NEIPA!. Problem was that the sparge was taking forever and I started heating the wort for the boil before it had finished, thinking I'd take it to just under boiling and hold it there to make up the time. Except I hadn't thought about the steam, which I think cooked the grain next to the mash pipe base and stopped the wort draining at all. By this time I was totally fed up, late starting, needing to get the beef joint in the oven and desperately hoping I'd some roasties in the freezer part made from before (I make double batches of roast potatoes and freeze half the batch at the part prepped stage)

The boil was fairly uneventful with only a tiny amount of bittering hops which I used the metal hop spider for - and I don't think I'm going to use it again, the mesh is far too fine and it's really difficult to drain through. For the aroma hops I used a fairly large hop sock and recirculated the wort onto it while keeping it submerged, I really had no confidence in the hop spider working.

I ended up almost a litre short in the boil and unsurprisingly about 3/4 litre short in the fermenter 😟. Thankfully I was a wee bit over on my OG at 1.071 having aimed for 1.068, so I decided to add 750ml bottled water which seems to have brought the gravity to spot on target. I wanted to make it up to 19litres as I worried that by the time I lost volume to the dry hop and trub it was beginning to feel far too expensive a brew.
IMG_0736.jpeg

IMG_0739.jpeg

So here's the expensive problem child, now nicely tucked up at 18 deg, and yes I do know that the picture shows my attempt at sprinkling the yeast on top was a bit of a fail, it doesn't seem to have affected it as after 24 hours it was foaming and bubbling away nicely 😊.

IMG_0740.jpeg

Anna

Today I picked up a second hand but rather nice fridge freezer to work as a kegerator. I had been going to go just for a fridge but realised it would be good to have somewhere dedicated for hop storage. It's not a particularly tall one - at 140cm but that was the maximum my rather small car could cope with. I'm feeling a wee bit down though as I'd asked about the internal dimensions but hadn't thought about the ridges for the shelf support so it's not quite as roomy as I'd hoped. I can just fit two old style 19litre kegs and one new style 19 litre keg inside but it's a tight fit. Sadly I only have one of the new style kegs, but have 6 of the old style ones. I know it's a super long shot but if there was anyone in central belt willing to swap some new style for old style kegs and I'd make up the cost difference? Really really unlikely I know but I thought I'd ask.

Anyway... now to plan for taps and another project. I'd like it to be super neat and tidy as a finish but one of the downsides of the fridge freezer is the height of the taps since the freezer bit is on the top, it does make the taps a bit low. I might have to have a bit of a think about this... I'm beginning to have a bit of buyers regret for the thing 😟 .

Anna

Today I picked up a second hand but rather nice fridge freezer to work as a kegerator. I had been going to go just for a fridge but realised it would be good to have somewhere dedicated for hop storage. It's not a particularly tall one - at 140cm but that was the maximum my rather small car could cope with. I'm feeling a wee bit down though as I'd asked about the internal dimensions but hadn't thought about the ridges for the shelf support so it's not quite as roomy as I'd hoped. I can just fit two old style 19litre kegs and one new style 19 litre keg inside but it's a tight fit. Sadly I only have one of the new style kegs, but have 6 of the old style ones. I know it's a super long shot but if there was anyone in central belt willing to swap some new style for old style kegs and I'd make up the cost difference? Really really unlikely I know but I thought I'd ask.

Anyway... now to plan for taps and another project. I'd like it to be super neat and tidy as a finish but one of the downsides of the fridge freezer is the height of the taps since the freezer bit is on the top, it does make the taps a bit low. I might have to have a bit of a think about this... I'm beginning to have a bit of buyers regret for the thing 😟 .

Anna
How does temp control work when presumably powering a fridge and a freezer via the same controller? Or have I got this all wrong?

I always assumed that it would cause problems...

I'm feeling a wee bit down though as I'd asked about the internal dimensions but hadn't thought about the ridges for the shelf support so it's not quite as roomy as I'd hoped.
Couldn't you cut them out? The support ridges are usually just foam filled plastic. I've cut the ones from one of my fridges doors to make more space. It's looks messy, but works.

Dry hopped the NEIPA today with the SI unit of a ‘shed load’ of hops 😳
53C0ACF6-C02F-4766-8FCA-CFEF7440117B.jpeg

Technique wise - opened the snub nose, tipped in the hops and then attached the floating dip tube which I’d purposely left off till now since if attached throughout it makes removing the lid and keeping it sanitised really difficult. Pressurised to 18 psi, released the pressure, repeat pressure again, purge back to 5psi.
Take that you dastardly oxygen molecules!😛

Oh I’d also chilled to 16 deg before the dry hop and I’m going to drop the temp steadily to 0 over the next 72 hours.

Last edited:
I’d also chilled to 16 deg before the dry hop
This is interesting! I’m about to dry hop my current brew and was wondering about chilling down to 15C-16C but was unsure about is that at the end of fermentation or during the last legs? Is it just for pressure fermenters are can us plebs do it too? :confused.: With thanks, Confused at The Buffers:laugh8:

This is interesting! I’m about to dry hop my current brew and was wondering about chilling down to 15C-16C but was unsure about is that at the end of fermentation or during the last legs? Is it just for pressure fermenters are can us plebs do it too? :confused.: With thanks, Confused at The Buffers:laugh8:
Well it's partly from the craft brewing channel advice on dry hop, it's also consistent from what I've been reading about dry hopping NEIPA as well to minimise astringency from the hops. The Craft Brewing guys had advised to crash chill and just use the 16deg as a stop off to dry hop. I'd like to take it a bit slower and drop the temperature over a few days then take the beer off the hops into a keg. They were dry hopping in a normal fermenter but bubbled up CO2 through the bottom tap after the dry hop to try to purge the headspace of the fermenter. I'll see if I can find the reference to the temperature other than the Craft Brewing channel.

Anna

How does temp control work when presumably powering a fridge and a freezer via the same controller? Or have I got this all wrong?

I always assumed that it would cause problems...
Oops realised I'd not replied to this, since the fridge will be used as a kegerator it will be cold all the time in the same way a normal fridge would be so I'm just going with the built in thermostat. I do have a spare min max thermometer so will try to find some space for that and maybe tweak the setting in the fridge till it seems right but it doesn't need to be exact for serving.

Oops realised I'd not replied to this, since the fridge will be used as a kegerator it will be cold all the time in the same way a normal fridge would be so I'm just going with the built in thermostat. I do have a spare min max thermometer so will try to find some space for that and maybe tweak the setting in the fridge till it seems right but it doesn't need to be exact for serving.

Ah yes. Makes sense. So no requirement for a heater.

Maybe this setup is all I need. Fermenting fridge would be great but somewhere to cold crash my kegs wpuld be great too. Basically cant keg anything all summer as I can neither cool it nor bottle from it in these temperatures

Nothing like an early Christmas! :laugh8::groupdancing:
Yes it was a bit of a treat to myself - but I'm telling myself I'm selling 6 of the older style kegs so the price of the new ones was only a little bit extra 😇.... really really (are you convinced yet? 🙈🙉)

Relived to find I can fit 3 fairly comfortably into the fridge but will need to sort out something to lift the lowest keg off the base a bit to make space for the door lip to fit under. I could cut the door lip off instead but I do like things to look smart and smooth and I'm concerned cutting the bottom lip off will look messy - am I being daft?
IMG_0768.jpeg

Oh they are rather shiny 😍 - and here next to one of the reconditioned older style ones.
IMG_0767.jpeg

Anna

You’ll be needing additional fermentation capacity next ;)
Sadly it's time that is the limiting factor for me, I have more fermenters than I need really since I purchased some for my son and he never used them. I can fit two brew buckets in the brew fridge at one time but only one of the snubnose. I think I should leave the 'buy' button alone on the computer for a bit after this week!
Packaged as it should be always top notch from bkt
There was actually a small shallow dent on a couple but so slight that really not enough to make a fuss about. They are very good though and the secondary regulator matches the primary one I have - yes matching regulators 😂.

Anna

Latest posts

Back