Anna's Brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you aim for gravity readings is it for reproducibility or sort of an OCD thing? (For want of a better description.)

I am quite scientifically minded (have a mechanical engineering degree) and also quite OCD tbh, but with beer I like to do it all by eye. I 'weigh' my hops by eye, the malt is approximate, I don't take any gravity readings at all and bottle when it looks done, and it still tastes great.

I use 170 g of Acid Malt in my hard water so I would think you should have been nearer PH of 5.2.
Just put it down to one of those brewing anomalies we all suffer from time to time

A Sunday brew day View attachment 62156

Naeb’dy Aboot v0.2 with a change of yeast to the Omega Oktoberfest and a stepped mash to try to compensate for the decreased attenuation with this yeast.

After much hand wringing, I’ve only very slightly modified the grain bill to keep the 2kg of Red X. This means it’s well off the BJCP spec in terms of colour for a Festbier - however this is a beer that went down well with everyone who tried it. I just hope I’m not messing up by changing the yeast.
Mid mash at the mo’ just stepped up to 68 deg.
View attachment 62155
The yeast starter is chilling down and settling out nicely too 😍

Finally just got round to opening and sampling the v0.1 of this that you kindly sent me along with my secret Santa. Not hard to see why you’ve decided not to change a lot for v0.2. Not sure I’d have known what changes to make, if any. Thanks for that 👏🍻

When you aim for gravity readings is it for reproducibility or sort of an OCD thing? (For want of a better description.)

I am quite scientifically minded (have a mechanical engineering degree) and also quite OCD tbh, but with beer I like to do it all by eye. I 'weigh' my hops by eye, the malt is approximate, I don't take any gravity readings at all and bottle when it looks done, and it still tastes great.
Hi - hitting my target values is a lot to do with reproducibility, but also about having confidence in my calculations in brewfather when I design recipes and being able to match against BJCP criteria for a particular style. There have been several beers now I've made that I'd like to tweak, try variations of and have confidence that the difference between batches is because of an intended change rather than an accident of process.

Ahh... erm this might take a bit of explaining to the OH 🙈. I've sort of bought something off ebay, and well it's quite big, like 70 litre system big ....ooops 🤫.

So if Paul who is selling it is a member here - thank you I am really looking forward to seeing what I can do with a larger system, I'm not looking forward to explaining how my brew system seems to have inexplicably doubled in size overnight. Oh dear, I'm not too sure whether to quietly sneak it in to the garage and claim innocence 😇 - problem is my observant children will spot the difference immediately.

It's a Klarstein Brauheld Pro 70 ltr which I'm going to have to investigate the threads on the pump fittings to convert them to camlocks to connect up to my chiller. Now to investigate what I can do differently with this that I couldn't with my Brewzilla, I'm thinking of a double volume base beer which can then be split and trying different dry hop, yeasts, and fruit to see how each impacts on the beers made. Also much more beer for others to try!

Anna

Ahh... erm this might take a bit of explaining to the OH 🙈. I've sort of bought something off ebay, and well it's quite big, like 70 litre system big ....ooops 🤫.

So if Paul who is selling it is a member here - thank you I am really looking forward to seeing what I can do with a larger system, I'm not looking forward to explaining how my brew system seems to have inexplicably doubled in size overnight. Oh dear, I'm not too sure whether to quietly sneak it in to the garage and claim innocence 😇 - problem is my observant children will spot the difference immediately.

It's a Klarstein Brauheld Pro 70 ltr which I'm going to have to investigate the threads on the pump fittings to convert them to camlocks to connect up to my chiller. Now to investigate what I can do differently with this that I couldn't with my Brewzilla, I'm thinking of a double volume base beer which can then be split and trying different dry hop, yeasts, and fruit to see how each impacts on the beers made. Also much more beer for others to try!

Anna
It's easy to do! I inadvertently purchased £700 worth of fishing rods.
Get it bought. Its not a rehearsal!

I've sort of bought something off ebay, and well it's quite big, like 70 litre system big ....ooops 🤫.
I’d be in trouble if I did that - not from my wife…

I just know I’d almost immediately be moving to 30 litre kegs and shortly after that I’d be upscaling my whole operation. Pretty soon the tax man would be knocking on my door refusing to believe my brewery is for personal use.

Anna

I saw that on ebay (presuming it's the same one) , I was very tempted!

You need to sell it to the OH, so many positives
Double beer
His and Her batches by splitting one brew into 2 with different dry hops etc
Water saving just one clean up but 2 brews
energy saving does not take much more electric to maintain a 70 litre boil than 35 litre boil.
Its all in the sell Anna athumb.. :laugh8:

Just go with full on denial.

"No it's not new", "iv had that for ages", stepping up if required to "you never listen to me when I'm talking about my hobbies" et cetera.

I'd love a system that big in theory... But the idea of packaging like 60 litres of beer fills me with horror.

"No it's not new", "iv had that for ages", stepping up if required to "you never listen to me when I'm talking about my hobbies" et cetera.

I'd love a system that big in theory... But the idea of packaging like 60 litres of beer fills me with horror.
Nah - that's dishonest. Go for - "yep: it's new - fancy a nice Sunday roast, or would you be happy with reheated porridge out of the freezer..."

So I decided bravery and advance notice was the best option... ermm I need to own up, I've bought something off ebay.... You've got a habit of doing that.... it's a new brew boiler 🙈 ..... Oh another brewing thing :rolleyes::rolleyes:.

I did quietly mention it was more advanced, a good German make, really good condition and a really good price... and a wee bit bigger than my current one but having now said in advance I am trying to be good 😇.

You need to sell it to the OH, so many positives
Double beer
His and Her batches by splitting one brew into 2 with different dry hops etc
Water saving just one clean up but 2 brews
energy saving does not take much more electric to maintain a 70 litre boil than 35 litre boil.
Its all in the sell Anna athumb.. :laugh8:
I'm saving the sales pitch for when it's found in the garage after it's been plumbed and wired in!

There have been coats and shoes that sort of appear, and I genuinely have had them for quite a while, but just either not worn them or quietly worn them to work then changed at home. I do try to be good, there is though a bit of a problem with the combined effect of dieting then drinking at the weekend which makes a single glass make me feel decidedly unsteady, and then seeing shiny nice things on ebay 🤭.

This new kit could be a whole lot of fun though, I'm going to keep the brewzilla as a sparge water heater and maybe try a 2 step decoction mash just because 🤓 .

Anna

Way I see it with you being a doctor and the the state of the country for the last two years with covid and all that goes with that your work load must of been horrendous ,so to my way of thinking reckon you’ve earned it mate so why feel guilty, good luck to you hope all goes well with the new set up and enjoy yourself .. must admit I’m a bit jealous 😊👍🍻

Just tell you husband that the only things that have kept you sane the the last 2 years during covid is how loving and caring and supportive he has been and the ability to totally amerse yourself for a few hours in your hobby and forget about what is going on at work and how it releaves the stresses and strain in your life.

If that does not work tell him you can make double the quantity of beer in one go athumb..

Anna
I don't think your purchases will be over yet.
Some food for thought when thinking on plumbing, much easier if the pump doesn't have to raise to the top of the brewkettle before going into chiller. I had a look at the pictures of yours on ebay, the tap's a bit of a waste of time you aren't going to be using that rig off the ground high enough to pour into the fermenter ( unless you have a pulley system which you might want) you will transfer using the pump. Consider converting the tap hole to a whirlpool.

Picture of my Guten 70 to get you thinking, three way tap so I can stir the dead space with the whirlpool and recirculate over the top at the same time if needed. Tap removed and ball lock with camlock fitted with whirlpool on inside.
During mash direct connect pipe via 3 way to whirlpool.
Then add in chiller +- hop missile ( as hop back and wort filter) pre whirlpool. Then can transfer via chiller, hop missile with temp monitor direct to the fermenter.
Consider changing the vertical pipework for larger diameter if possible it takes the strain off the pump and improves flow you'll be familiar with poiseiulles law I reckon.
I don't use it on that bench just a photo taken there. Just added a smartpid to the guten as well, not much tinkering left / capital purchases.
Wife said to me when she wandered into brewery " ohh you're milling your own grain now!", I replied yes " for better results and I've been doing that for about 18 months now ". Might have forgotten to mention I bought a grain mill!
IMG_20210909_005235.jpgIMG_20210530_101041.jpgIMG_20210909_111017.jpgIMG_20220226_160213.jpg
I have tidied up the tubing a bit now so they aren't going out the door which is better. You saw the view out of the door in the hop growing thread I think.

Thanks @RoomWithABrew for the detailed pictures. I'm going to have a good look and plan around how to set up the new system once it arrives and plumb in the cooler. The 3 way tap idea is excellent - need to look at that as an option.

In the meantime though I have a week mostly off from work, if you don't count a few meetings and working in the hospital two evenings...
So I'm planning on a couple of different brew days. Tomorrow is going to be a bitter and twisted clone since it's a beer I really like from a local brewery, and a Perle pilsner which as a recipe grew out of a couple of recipes here from @foxbat and @Brewnaldo acheers.. Later in the week, I'm going to try my own take on a Gose inspired by the beers from Up Front Brewing, and a raspberry sour. I really really enjoy a brew day, even when things don't go to plan, it is so completely different from anything else I do in the week. It feels a real treat to be taking time like this for myself - not something I've really been able to do in the past 🥳.

Anna

Latest posts

Back