Anna's Brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ronnie Wood? (Amazingly still alive!) athumb..

Quittendon? (Not seen since - but I spent many years overseas!)

Plus, before Rod stole the name there was another Maggie May who would “never walk down Lime Street any more”.

I was really miffed when I actually heard the Rod Stewart version! :mad: It is well worth listening to the original on You Tube!
:hat:

Ronnie Wood? (Amazingly still alive!) athumb..

Quittendon? (Not seen since - but I spent many years overseas!)

Plus, before Rod stole the name there was another Maggie May who would “never walk down Lime Street any more”.

I was really miffed when I actually heard the Rod Stewart version! :mad: It is well worth listening to the original on You Tube!
:hat:
Wrong go back 3 spaces

Relatively low stress brewday but was all over the place on numbers.
pH way way off for the mash at 5.8 despite upping the acidulated malt. I really don't get what is going on with that. There's a teeny bit of bicarb in the water salts but not enough to throw off the pH like that. Might end up just using lactic acid to titrate.
  • Boil off volume was too low. The value i calculated was with plain water and it's a lot less, like over a litre less per hour.
  • My preboil volume was too high as well, really not sure what went wrong there with the calculations.
  • Overall outcome is that the volume in the fermenter is about 6 litres more than anticipated and ABV will be about 5.1 rather than 5.8. that's not a bad thing but it also means the hops will be more dilute...meh.

Oh and the pump struggled again, I really do have to work out something better than loose hops. I don't like mesh bags since they are yuck to clean, my hop spider mesh is far too fine to allow good circulation. Options I'm thinking about are the GF hop spider as it has a wider mesh, or several of the sealed hop mesh steel cylinder things, one for each time of hop addition and just drop them in. Thing is they aren't great to clean either though at least they can go in the dishwasher!

A x

Are you still getting the issues with leaf only? As for using a hop bag/ spider I used to use a 400 micron nylon filter bag which was easy to use and clean. I was more than happy with the results I only stopped using it as it was one more thing to clean. As for the cleaning..it only ever got rinsed out then hung on the washing line til next brew day.

Back