Another beer. Another problem

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MightyStig

Reaction score
Hi guys.

So, I put on a Young's AIPA 3 days ago. Fermentation started about 24 hours after pitching and it's emitting a horrible rotten egg smell. I cleaned and sanitised as normal.

I read all 46 pages of the kit review on this forum and no mention of this smell. What should I do?

Cheers

Jim

I can't say I noticed it but then I don't like to remove the lid of the FV and prefer to just leave it to do its stuff. Mine took a full three weeks to ferment out and only then did I dry hop. 3/4 days later I bottled it.

I'm sure yours will be fine - it's a great beer.

It was more of a case of it stinking up my garage than taking the lid off and sticking my head in there. as I like to leave my brews for at least 2 weeks before opening the lid.

However a couple of days ago (3 days in fermenter) i noticed by shining a touch into it that the Krausen had dropped and very little action in the airlock (yeah I know).

Against my own better judgement I did have a little peek and the top is more fizzy than frothy like freshly poured lemonade. It's definitely producing gas as the lid is bulging a little. But from what I have read on the yipa kit page, people had Krausen for up to 2 weeks and more vigerious bubbling.

It's gonna be a few long weeks aunsure....

Cheers

Jim

Update:

As usual nothing to worry about.

Took a SG reading today. 1.008/9! Not bad after only 11 days. Taste is very very bitter but no noticeable off taste or eggy smell athumb..acheers.. Need to work out when I have some free time for bottling and get those 100g of hops in there.

Cheers

Jim

I've got the Young's hot egg smell on my AIPA too, starting to subside at day 3 now. Looking forward to a cheeky taste when I do the first gravity check.

Latest posts

Back