Another classic garden pub build

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldjiver

Landlord.
Reaction score
A dear departed friend built this "snug" pub bar in his garden a long while ago. He was a modern "renaissence" man, running a successful motor business, and having his own classic and vintage motorcycle museum in a large garden garage. He also built a blacksmiths shop complete with working forge, to house his great grandfathers blacksmiths tools. In between he found time to publish several illustrated history books of the town. The forge and bar are brick built and authentic. BUT HE NEVER BREWED A PINT? He had a prize winning allotment and grew grapes from which I made wine that he thoroughly enjoyed.
He only opened the bar on special occasions, and served commercial beer from the pumps. I did drink with him but never peered behind to see the works. Here are two photos that joined together show the interior. My editing ability was stretched too far to join them properly.

I couldn't see the join at first :whistle: :whistle:

Something I aspire to :thumb:

dennisking said:
Seeing that Ridleys pump clip almost brings a tear to my eye, sorely missed.

30 years ago I was forman of a jury in Chelmsford. (elected because I owned a suit probably) We were given a lunch allowance each day which I spent on 2 pints of Ridleys bitter from the WOOD!! (I kid you not) It was nectar :tongue: I had to limit my intake or I would probably have voted to hang the poor fellow on trial :drink:

Shame he has a John Sm*ths pump next to the Ridleys one, now that should be a hanging offence.

he probably has his best beer connected to that tap...just puts a S****s clip on to keep folks away....... :evil:

Good to hear you mention Ridleys beers for the wood OJ, to my knowledge Ridleys is the only beer I've ever drank from the wood.

dennisking said:
Shame he has a John Sm*ths pump next to the Ridleys one, now that should be a hanging offence.
Errrrrr what about the fact that on the left he's got a tennants LA surely that must trump john s#its

jasea3632 said:
dennisking said:
Errrrrr what about the fact that on the left he's got a tennants LA surely that must trump john s#its

Dennis doesn't drink L*ger. :lol: :lol:

dennisking said:
As I said my late friend was a master craftsman who put together a little haven of peace in his garden. But he wasn't a brewer or an old soak like all of us here. His collection of pumps etc was aquired through friends and sales and reflected what you saw in pubs. So please judge it as what is is and not what you think it out to be :thumb:

oldjiver said:
Here are two photos that joined together show the interior. My editing ability was stretched too far to join them properly.
This is the best I can do at short notice and when I'm supposed to be doing something else. They are never going to knit together perfectly.

Bar_zps26b459c0.jpg

Good job Moley, and fantastic looking man cave - who cares what the pumps say :thumb:

oldjiver said:
dennisking said:
As I said my late friend was a master craftsman who put together a little haven of peace in his garden. But he wasn't a brewer or an old soak like all of us here. His collection of pumps etc was aquired through friends and sales and reflected what you saw in pubs. So please judge it as what is is and not what you think it out to be :thumb:

:thumb: Can't fault what he his achieved.

dennisking said:
oldjiver said:
dennisking said:

:thumb: Can't fault what his achived.

Thanks DK, and thanks Moley for the join! (what editor do you use?)

A belting corner to any room, I particularly like the warned Truman sign, looks lived in :hat: :drink:
I'll raise a glass to him tonight, does he have a name?

That bar looks like on ei used to drink in on the west coast of scotland full of bits and pieces. :thumb: :thumb:

I would love to serve my beers from something like that. :thumb: :thumb:

I'd also love to have a bar like that, especially for when the World Cup is on next year. :drink:

Latest posts

Back