Another first...dry hopping

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stuart Wilson

Reaction score
DPale ale with citra hops.....done a similar brew before, but this time I tried dry hoping with more citra hops just as fermentation was slowing down. Great success....pleased!

Attachments

• 20201207_164338.jpg
    20201207_164338.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 98
Looks nice. You obviously had more success than me on your fir dry hop brew. Did you use a hop sock or other device or just drop your hops right into the beer? I've just dry hopped for the first time and have spent most of the night struggling to bottle as the hop matter was clogging up the bottling wand nozzle. Should have used a hop sock or similar, unless there is a trick I've missed? Ended up ladleing out the beer into a funnel and a fine tea strainer!! But the beer will have hop matter in suspension when I come to drink it! will have to pour into a glass via a filter! Tasted delicious though.

I used hop peĺlets and tied a fine mesh over the end of the syphon. I actually used material from one of reusable fruit bags you can get for 30p in Tesco. Had no problem with bits. It was very cloudy when I bottled it.....added gelatine as a clearing agent not expecting it to work very well. Tried first bottle after a week, really well carbonated bit still slight haze. Clarity improved a lot over last 4 days. Just shifted rest of batch to garage....too much temptation sitting on kitchen counter! Garage completely unheated so plan to forget about it for a couple of weeks and just let it cold condition. Very impressed with taste though....will be dry hopping a lot more!

Ahh, should have thought about a bag over the end!! Will remember that for next time! I'll just strain out the hop matter when pouring out of the bottle into a glass then! or maybe not...Hops must count as one of your 5 a day!

I used hop peĺlets and tied a fine mesh over the end of the syphon. I actually used material from one of reusable fruit bags you can get for 30p in Tesco. Had no problem with bits. It was very cloudy when I bottled it.....added gelatine as a clearing agent not expecting it to work very well. Tried first bottle after a week, really well carbonated bit still slight haze. Clarity improved a lot over last 4 days. Just shifted rest of batch to garage....too much temptation sitting on kitchen counter! Garage completely unheated so plan to forget about it for a couple of weeks and just let it cold condition. Very impressed with taste though....will be dry hopping a lot more!

Hi Stuart,

So did you add both priming sugar and gelatine both dissolved in the same water to the bottles or did you add them separately. If separately, did you add the gelatine after filling the bottles? I have my first brew in the fermenter now and it is clearing but slowly. Fermentation has finished, I am not going to secondary ferment but would like to try gelatine as a fining agent. If I can do both priming and fining with gelatine at the same time in the bottle I will be well pleased but don’t want to spoil my first brew.

Cheers

Billy

If you have temp control cold crashing will drop nearly everything. My last aipa had about 135g dry hop just chucked straight in and was no problems at all on bottling day through the syphon And bottling wand.

I siphoned into a bottling bucket, added gelatine and priming sugar l, gave it a good sir and then bottled. It was pretty cloudy at first, but cleared really well after a week.

.....Actually just drinking a bottle now....11 days since I first sampled it. Its spent that time in an unheated garage......clarity and taste really has gone up several notches. Must make more of this.......

I sterilise a piece of net curtain and tie it over my bottling wand. Works a treat to keep dry hops at bay. I keep a piece specially for the purpose rather than borrowing it from the living roomwink...

Looks nice. You obviously had more success than me on your fir dry hop brew. Did you use a hop sock or other device or just drop your hops right into the beer? I've just dry hopped for the first time and have spent most of the night struggling to bottle as the hop matter was clogging up the bottling wand nozzle. Should have used a hop sock or similar, unless there is a trick I've missed? Ended up ladleing out the beer into a funnel and a fine tea strainer!! But the beer will have hop matter in suspension when I come to drink it! will have to pour into a glass via a filter! Tasted delicious though.
Hi
im no expert having only done this a few times but after problems similar to yours I used a fine mesh bag with a drawstring top. The bag was quite large to allow the hops room to circulate but weighted down with a slack handful of glass marbles (sterilised in boiling water). Obviously need a wide mouthed vessel And put the marbles in a bag of their own inside the hop bag - didn’t do that the first time and cleaning the marbles is a bore.

Latest posts

Back