Another keg question regarding co2

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm finally gonna buy a corny keg or two. My question is once the beer is in the keg does it have to be connected to the gas the whole time until its empty or can you take the gas off to connect to a different keg? Just wondering. Cheers.

I only drink at weekends so once my beer is carbonated I disconnect and normally pull a few pints before connecting again at the weekend.
just hit the disconnect and post on the keg with some starsan solution in a spray bottle to keep nasties at bay when changing kegs.

I always turn the gas off at the cylinder when not in use as even a small leak will potentially empty the cylinder.
When carbonating or serving I will just turn the gas on to get the required headspace psi. For carbonating this may be a few times a day to start and serving is as pressure drops.
I have a multi port manifold with additional pressure gauges and shut off valves on each line.

I nearly always disconnect/ or turn gas off as I have lost one too many tanks of CO2 to the atmosphere through minor leaks (despite trying to detect any leaks when setting up).

There's no problem disconnecting from CO2. It may be obvious, but worth mentioning just in case, make sure you charge the keg woth CO2 first(in order to both seat the lid correctly and fill headspace), and burp it a few times while still connected to ensure no oxygen is present before disconnecting the first time after filling the keg, if that makes sense.

Sometimes I have more kegs than I do faucets so I disconnect and reconnect all the time. I too, have lost CO2 to small leaks, usually in the keg hardware.

I only drink at weekends so once my beer is carbonated I disconnect and normally pull a few pints before connecting again at the weekend.
just hit the disconnect and post on the keg with some starsan solution in a spray bottle to keep nasties at bay when changing kegs.
Hi, thanks for the reply. How do I know when my beer is carbonated? And once its carbonated and I disconnect the co2 will it stay carbonated.? Sorry for all the questions, I haven't got a clue about it. Cheers.

Thanks for the infos everyone, really helpful. If I have more than one keg what do I need on each keg so I can just disconnect the co2 then reconnect to the other keg. I hope that makes sense. Cheers.

Hi, thanks for the reply. How do I know when my beer is carbonated? And once its carbonated and I disconnect the co2 will it stay carbonated.? Sorry for all the questions, I haven't got a clue about it. Cheers.
I normally hook my keg up and purge it a few times to get rid of air ( turn the gas on and pull the wee ring pull thing to let air out) then ramp it up to 20psi give it a shake for 10 mins then leave it overnight and then top it up every day for a week. Works for me.
but there will be a hundred different ways to do it.

I normally hook my keg up and purge it a few times to get rid of air ( turn the gas on and pull the wee ring pull thing to let air out) then ramp it up to 20psi give it a shake for 10 mins then leave it overnight and then top it up every day for a week. Works for me.
but there will be a hundred different ways to do it.
OK thanks for the quick reply. I hope I'll learn as I go. Cheers.

Latest posts

Back