Another Spotless Water Question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all.
I'm in the process of getting set to have a go at all grain brewing.
My water supply is from Surrey Hills and is hard as nails. I was planning to treat it using the water profile on grainfather and use campden tablets to clear the water.
After some searching around this forum I've found Spotless Water, never heard of it before, but I've also got one just a couple of miles away.
If the TDS is 0 do I set my water profile in Grainfather as everything zero.
When folk mix their tap water with RO water how do you work out what ratio to use and now much to balance the water up?

Sorry for the numpty questions I'd quite like to make use of the spotless as it's so close and cheaper than buying bottled from supermarket etc?
Thanks.

I've recently started using spotless water as I too have one locally and its great. I very nearly bought an RO unit but when I heard about Spotless, thought I'd give it a go. It takes less than 30s to fill up enough for a 23L batch, and my maintanence cost is £0. The water itself costs less than £1 too.
I think there is a spreadsheet somewhere online that can help with the mixing side of things.
To be honest, whilst I do understand the idea "why take all the minerals out just to add them beack in", for the cost, I just find it more convinient to use 100%RO and add the salts etc as required, rather than add tap water back in.
I appreciate none of that answers your questions 🤣

It's a good point though, I'm used to playing with RO when I had Marine Fish but this is way simpler just to add the required it's and bobs in. Any idea where that calculator is?

Hi all.
I'm in the process of getting set to have a go at all grain brewing.
My water supply is from Surrey Hills and is hard as nails. I was planning to treat it using the water profile on grainfather and use campden tablets to clear the water.
After some searching around this forum I've found Spotless Water, never heard of it before, but I've also got one just a couple of miles away.
If the TDS is 0 do I set my water profile in Grainfather as everything zero.
When folk mix their tap water with RO water how do you work out what ratio to use and now much to balance the water up?

Sorry for the numpty questions I'd quite like to make use of the spotless as it's so close and cheaper than buying bottled from supermarket etc?
Thanks.

I set all mine to zero in Brewfather for the spotless water, but I like to use between 10 to 20 percent tap water too and add a campden tablet (hate those things though). On Brewfather there is a 'dilute' option. Today I've brewed a golden ale and used 15 percent tap and 85 percent spotless.

The amount of tap water you will need will depend on what beer style you're making. Generally speaking, the paler the beer, the more spotless water you'll need. Brewfather will help you with the calculations. Give us a shout if you're struggling.

I use a special mix of tesco ashbeck and Highlands spring hydration packs. I know it's not cheap, but I'm posh, it streamline the process, and it comes to my door.

Spotless is great if you have one near you. Like others I use tap water in varying proportions depending on what I’m brewing. I also use it for making up StarSan as it doesn’t go cloudy or make silicon tubing go soapy.

Latest posts

Back