Another use for the keezer - making bacon

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crowcrow

Landlord.
Reaction score
Yesterday morning I starting a batch of bacon following the River Cottage method - Dry-cured streaky bacon
Bay leaf
IMG_20200530_075852.jpg

Pepper corns
IMG_20200530_080311.jpg

Rosemary seeds
IMG_20200530_081344.jpg

Grind up
IMG_20200530_081601.jpg

Add sugar
IMG_20200530_082240.jpg

And salt
IMG_20200530_082617.jpg

Mix
IMG_20200530_082946.jpg

Add to a food safe tub

IMG_20200530_083316.jpg

Add a lump of pork belly

IMG_20200530_082828.jpg

Cover the sides and top in a 5th of the mix

IMG_20200530_083635.jpg

Put in the fridge/keezer - somewhere flat and cool!

IMG_20200531_150254.jpg

Check back after 24 hours and pour off the liquid and add another portion of the salt mix
IMG_20200531_150216.jpg

Repeat until all the mix is gone, then leave lightly covered for another 5 days then transfer to a sealed box. Slice off portions of bacon as needed... I've not got there yet but I'll post pictures when I do!

Very cool

A mate has done this sort of thing before. As I remember it went really well but they had a nightmare getting a nice slice.

They kept cutting to thick and uneven.

I think they ordered a deli slicer. You know, the thing with the spinning wheel blade you see in supermarkets.

Ha yes I want an industrial slicer now too! I'll let you know how the thin slices go. Maybe not rosemary seeds? Whatever wold be in a jar labeled 'rosemary'? It was supposed to be juniper, but tesco didn't have any! No idea why sugar is needed, but didn't want to mess with the recipe on my first go!

Keezer has loads of cans in there (thankfully) and plenty of ale and wine - since my wife got 'the virus' I've barely drunk not sure if I had a touch of it too or just the stresses of life, but each time I drink I feel like I've had 10 beers not one. It's been ages, I miss it!

Couple of lads that share a house on my street were saying they love making bacon in the keister. I'll tell them I'm thinking about giving it a go now I've seen you just have to rub some pork and pour off the juice. Thanks, Crow!

Incase you were interested in what the liquid I pour off looks like - here is a shot from today. There was much more liquid on Sunday - this should get less and less each day. I put the box at a slight angle so the liquid pools to one side.

I have an idea for cutting thin slices by wedging between two cutting boards - but no idea if it will work! I'll post pictures regardless.

IMG_20200601_112322.jpg

Incase you were interested in what the liquid I pour off looks like - here is a shot from today. There was much more liquid on Sunday - this should get less and less each day. I put the box at a slight angle so the liquid pools to one side.

I have an idea for cutting thin slices by wedging between two cutting boards - but no idea if it will work! I'll post pictures regardless.

View attachment 26878
I’ve done this before!
It will be very salty... you may want to soak the bacon to get rid of excess salt before cooking it. Try a bit first and see.

For slicing, I found having a *very* sharp knife essential, and putting the side of bacon in the freezer for 10-20minutes helped.

Talking about bacon - this is a picture of inside my local, Tafarn Sinc, Rosebush in the Preseli mountains, North Pembrokeshire. Yes those are real slabs of bacon hanging from the ceiling. They've been there since about 1993.

Tafarn sinc.jpg

This is the tutorial I ended up using as I found the recipe to be a good balance between sweet and salty, and the use of cure #1 makes it pleasingly ‘bacon-y’

http://www.localfoodheroes.co.uk/?e=541
If you have a vacuum sealer (which is amazing when making bacon, and also means you can re-seal your packets of hops!), you can slice your bacon into portions of 6-8 rashers and freeze them, which makes it very straightforward to defrost just as much as you need.

View attachment 26878

Chuck some yeast in it and see if it'll ferment :laugh8:

I’ve done this before!
It will be very salty... you may want to soak the bacon to get rid of excess salt before cooking it. Try a bit first and see.

For slicing, I found having a *very* sharp knife essential, and putting the side of bacon in the freezer for 10-20minutes helped.
The recipes I follow when I make bacon all say to rinse it after curing and then leave it in the fridge to dry for a few days.
People need to be aware that if you only use sugar and salt (+ herbs/spices) for the cure the bacon will colour, brown, like pork when you cook it. If you want it to be pink when cooked then you need to use cure #1 in the mix.

Latest posts

Back