Another use for the keezer - making bacon

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took the pork loin out of the brine on Wednesday, patted it dry and let it mature in the fridge until Friday, then sliced it up after 30 minutes in the feeezer.

As usual, rather than try and carve it to the last slice, I made lardons out of the first slice and the last couple of inches and fried them up to crisp to sprinkle on a salad! Perfect!

Unfortunately, I am still chair-bound, so I didn't bother smoking the pork loin; but it still tasted superb!

Smoked in the bbq yesterday with the smoking tube - the 12 inch one smoked for about 5 hours which seems good. I'd guess I used about 200g of pellets - I'll try to weigh next time, but interested as a 6kg bag cost £18 (plus £11 for the tube) - I like to know what my hobbies actually cost me!

IMG_20200628_161545.jpg

I used my folks bbq as I hadn't set mine up yet - obvs with the lid on.

IMG_20200628_212804.jpg

Smells amazing but I had the meat too close to the smoker - will have to if it is ruined or burnt, but gut feeling is it will be OK. I've wrapped in clingfilm and several carrier bags (as the smell is so strong I don't want it ruining my keezer!) and I'll have a bit in a week once things have mellowed.

As usual, rather than try and carve it to the last slice, I made lardons out of the first slice and the last couple of inches and fried them up to crisp to sprinkle on a salad! Perfect!

That's a great idea, as there are still plenty of rashers to go around

Smoked in the bbq yesterday with the smoking tube - the 12 inch one smoked for about 5 hours which seems good. I'd guess I used about 200g of pellets - I'll try to weigh next time, but interested as a 6kg bag cost £18 (plus £11 for the tube) - I like to know what my hobbies actually cost me!

View attachment 28409

I used my folks bbq as I hadn't set mine up yet - obvs with the lid on.

View attachment 28408

Smells amazing but I had the meat too close to the smoker - will have to if it is ruined or burnt, but gut feeling is it will be OK. I've wrapped in clingfilm and several carrier bags (as the smell is so strong I don't want it ruining my keezer!) and I'll have a bit in a week once things have mellowed.
Does look like it got a bit cooked. I found my 1st smoked batch had mellowed quite a bit after a week

My bacon and cardboard box survived the night and the apple/maple combo seems a bit milder than the cheery/beech I used last time.
20200629_193644.jpg

It looks totally ruined and inedible ... wink...

... so if you PM me I will give you an address to send it to in Sleaford. clapa

If by any chance it's just "really smoky" then I suggest that you cut it up into small lardons and use them to add a beautiful flavour to Macaroni Cheese, Cauliflower Cheese or fry them and add the bits to a Salad.

Don't throw it away! :mad:

Excellent thread. Just about to embark on my curing/smoking journey. Got the river cottage hand book to guide me but a couple of questions....

Does anyone have any tips for keeping the cold smoke generator lit? The one time I used it it burned about 2 inches then went out. Had to keep trying to relight.

Also, the conditions required for dry aging meat, ie temp and humidity controlled. The handbook doesnt really suggest a home solution for this. I imagine something similar to a fermenting fridge but I dont really know. I'd like to make bacon and smoked fish etc but also interested in cured meats like salami, Parma ham etc

Does anyone have any tips for keeping the cold smoke generator lit? The one time I used it it burned about 2 inches then went out. Had to keep trying to relight.

Also, the conditions required for dry aging meat, ie temp and humidity controlled. ..........

Buy the cheapest aquarium air pump that you can find (about £10). The reason it goes out is a lack of oxygen. A pipe leading from the aquarium pump (placed outside the smoke generator) to the inside will keep it smouldering away.

With regard to the second question, I think it helps if you live somewhere like the Pyrenees 'cos they seem to dry out salami and hams there with no problem; otherwise, I have no idea as to what is ideal in the UK as I have never tried it. Sorry!

Excellent thread. Just about to embark on my curing/smoking journey. Got the river cottage hand book to guide me but a couple of questions....

Also, the conditions required for dry aging meat, ie temp and humidity controlled. The handbook doesnt really suggest a home solution for this. I imagine something similar to a fermenting fridge but I dont really know. I'd like to make bacon and smoked fish etc but also interested in cured meats like salami, Parma ham etc

I've only used the cold smoker twice and it burned all the way around no problem both times. From what I've read exessive moisture in the wood dust and/or lack of air flow as Dutto mentioned can cause it to go out early.

Wow - the smoking makes the world of difference - literally now the best bacon 🥓 I've had. Though a strong taste - I'd only do half the smoking next time or place them further apart. Very edible though. The rind is quite tough and best chopped off

I forgot to pop it in the freezer before I cut it but it still comes fine. I use the sharpest long knife I have which came free with some lidl jambon about 3 years ago - this is my cutting technique ;) - hang over the edge of the board, moving just slightly forward each time.

IMG_20200711_132311.jpg

IMG_20200711_132319.jpg

IMG_20200711_132545.jpg

Currently got the cold smoker going, smoking my first bit of bacon. It's about a 500g lump of pork loin joint to make back bacon. Was curing in salt and sugar in the fridge since Friday.

How long would those who smoke do it for? Reckin il get 8 hours out my smoker if need be.

6-8 hours sounds about right, I'm still fairly new to cold smoking but I did a few home cured pork bellies recently about the same weight for around 7 hours and they're spot on, really amazing flavour (I used hickory and bourbon soaked oak chips).

Currently got the cold smoker going, smoking my first bit of bacon. It's about a 500g lump of pork loin joint to make back bacon. Was curing in salt and sugar in the fridge since Friday.

How long would those who smoke do it for? Reckin il get 8 hours out my smoker if need be.
Just smoked my last bit of back bacon last night.
My 3rd time trying it but no idea how long the cold smoker really lasts as it's always burnt out by morning but has defo been less than 8hrs each time.
20200729_065706.jpg

I tried making bacon but the meat went off - I don't know what I did wrong. But it rather knocked my confidence somewhat. Having seen all this, I'm definitely going to give it another try.

Back