Another water question....!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dellboy78lfc

Reaction score
I must apologise for yet another question about water, but here it is...

I called Affinity water and got a water report for my area. I have everything on it that I need, except there is no mention of magnesium.

So when I put all this into the water calculator and left the magnesium box empty, it tells me to add a load of magnesium which I probably don’t want to do?

Should I just adjust the other parameters and leave the magnesium out? Or is there a way of working out the amount in my water? (Sure I read somewhere that by subtracting the carbonate from the total hardness, it would tell you what the magnesium content was....this may be nonsense though...)

Help!

You can buy a magnesium test kit to test your water from the tap. When I did this for mine however the level was so low it was undetectable by the test. That confused me for a bit o_O

I don't bother with magnesium, it is very low in my local water and you should have enough in your grain bill, I would leave it out.

As above, ignore magnesium. I don't think there's any need to ever add magnesium to brewing water.

If using Brewnwater or similar just estimate the levels of magnesium to get it to balance. Usually somewhere from 1-10 ppm (very low) or just ignore it as others have mentioned acheers.

I have just stuck my water report figures into the water calculator, and it is telling me I need to add 44ml of CRS to my water (32.5litres) ....that seems like a lot? Does that sound right?‍

I have just stuck my water report figures into the water calculator, and it is telling me I need to add 44ml of CRS to my water (32.5litres) ....that seems like a lot? Does that sound right?‍
Sounds way off to me although I don’t use CRS I use Phosphoric or lactic. Maybe post your calculations on here?

Sounds way off to me although I don’t use CRS I use Phosphoric or lactic. Maybe post your calculations on here?
Here is my water report. I put these figures into the water calculator......

Attachments

• CC70C41E-DF41-4908-92B7-AC492546011C.jpeg
    CC70C41E-DF41-4908-92B7-AC492546011C.jpeg
    17.8 KB · Views: 129
Hi Steve
I don't think there's any need to ever add magnesium to brewing water.
... I don't disagree, in terms of adjusting magnesium levels ... yet many a brewing water calculator will suggest adding magnesium sulphate (Epsom salts), in order to increase sulphate (to achieve a more hop-forward sulphate:chloride ratio), without increasing calcium in already relatively high calcium waters ... which I'm guessing is why Dellboy's water calculator is getting him to add magnesium :?:

Hi Dellboy
As others have said, don't worry if you don't have a figure for magnesium, but don't not add Epsom salts if that's what your water calculator is suggesting either :?: ...
I need to add 44ml of CRS to my water (32.5litres) ....that seems like a lot? Does that sound right?‍
... yes, but not out of the bounds of reason if you've got particularly high alkalinity water to start with, and you're looking to get that much lower :?:

Cheers, PhilB

Hi Steve ... I don't disagree, in terms of adjusting magnesium levels ... yet many a brewing water calculator will suggest adding magnesium sulphate (Epsom salts), in order to increase sulphate (to achieve a more hop-forward sulphate:chloride ratio), without increasing calcium in already relatively high calcium waters ... which I'm guessing is why Dellboy's water calculator is getting him to add magnesium :?:

Hi Dellboy
As others have said, don't worry if you don't have a figure for magnesium, but don't not add Epsom salts if that's what your water calculator is suggesting either :?: ... ... yes, but not out of the bounds of reason if you've got particularly high alkalinity water to start with, and you're looking to get that much lower :?:

Cheers, PhilB
Thanks! I think I’m going to just use bottled water this time (it’s my first brew). The figures I have for bottled are likely more accurate I’m thinking, so I will adjust it as the water calculator suggests for these figures.
Brewing in the morning so am running out of time to keep changing my mind!

Here is my water report. I put these figures into the water calculator......
Sorry if it is a silly question, I wouldn't ask, but the other day another newbie asked a similar question about water adjustments and he hadn't included his grain bill into the water calculator.
Are you adding your grain bill into the calculator?

I’m using the calculator on this forum... I didn’t see anywhere that it mentions the grain bill...It just asks for volume of water and the figures from the water report?

My water is very hard and the calculator usually tells me to add around 30ml for my 23ltr brewing water so that sounds on a par with your results

I’m using the calculator on this forum... I didn’t see anywhere that it mentions the grain bill...It just asks for volume of water and the figures from the water report?
You have to first put in your grain bill before going into the water calculations that is why your initial readings were off. How does the water report know what beer you are brewing?

You have to first put in your grain bill before going into the water calculations that is why your initial readings were off. How does the water report know what beer you are brewing?
The water report (or bottle label) is just telling me what is in my drinking water to start off with. The calculator only asks for water volume, type of beer you want to brew and a few of the numbers off the water report. I am just going by the additions it has told me to make. You’ll have to forgive me, I am a total beginner!

The water report (or bottle label) is just telling me what is in my drinking water to start off with. The calculator only asks for water volume, type of beer you want to brew and a few of the numbers off the water report. I am just going by the additions it has told me to make. You’ll have to forgive me, I am a total beginner!
I realise that, are you using Brewers Friend? If not try that and put in your grain bill first, what water profile you want, don't put in any of the historical water profiles, maybe just a balanced profile along with your water report you will then just put small additions of sulphate and chloride (if its a light beer) maybe a little bit of acid to get you to the correct pH range.

I realise that, are you using Brewers Friend? If not try that and put in your grain bill first, what water profile you want, don't put in any of the historical water profiles, maybe just a balanced profile along with your water report you will then just put small additions of sulphate and chloride (if its a light beer) maybe a little bit of acid to get you to the correct pH range.
Thanks. I’ve not looked at brewers friend yet. I’ve just used the basic calculator that is on the homepage in the forum menu. I probably should have got the first brew out the way before delving in to water chemistry! :-)

I probably should have got the first brew out the way before delving in to water chemistry! :-)
This. Absolutely, definitely this.

@Dellboy78lfc please take a look at my post from just the other day on a similar subject. If you're using bottled water then I would forget about water treatment for now.

And if you're using tap water maybe just add half a crushed Campden tablet to deal with the chlorine.

For now I would just get on and brew - plenty of things to learn as you go.

Latest posts

Back