Any decent Belgian kits?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisterBoy

Reaction score
A mate is really into his Trappist beers, often in the 8-10% range. It's not something I drink but I wondered about making him a batch as a gift.

Are there any half decent kits that don't just add a load of sugar to get the ABV up?

All I could find where I get my kits normally is this: Muntons Hand Crafted Belgian Style Ale Beer Kit

I would try brewing Brewferm kits really short . None of them I have tried are that bitter so would stand being brewed short. I have brewed the Brewferm Abbey (now called Dubble) at around 5-6 litres per tin without any other additions and its dark and malty and tastes probably stronger than it really is. If you want 8-10% you can add some malt extract but I prefer brewing short with this style of beer to just adding fermentables to give more alcohol. Might not rely on the kit yeast either.

You could try one tin in a demijohn if its just a one off and you could see how that goes?

Latest posts

Back