Any other early morning brewers out there?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get up before five am during the week, but like a bit of a lie in at the weekend when I brew. Usually I am up before 8 for a brewday and dough in around 9. Always have breakfast before getting started in earnest, as this helps to avoid making poor decisions during the process. (Man, oh man, have I made plenty of those!). Never have a beer until the wort is upstairs in the brewing cupboard with yeast pitched. I cart it up the stairs in two x 12.5L batches and having 12.5L of wort on the carpets is not my idea of a fun discussion with SWMBO.

Tomorrow, I am planning an early start as we are all off work for the week and the 2/3 women I live with are going out shopping.

The solar panels would make electric brewing in the daytime a few quid cheaper... but staying in my coffin is more precious.

Always awake before 7, the time the bunnies get restless, but can only start milling at around 9-ish or I wake up the whole house. Mast at 11, groceries, back at 12, an hour of sparging (80% efficiency ftw!!), boiling at 13, lunch, flame-out at 14, last hops, preparing the fv, last sieve work, outside by 14:30 (no other efficient way of cooling), pitching at 21, and that's it.

er not me I get up early thinking about putting a brew on, but it's around 12 before I do. :laugh8:

just did a mangrove jacks grapefruit ipa as close to the instructions I'm every likely to. - was done and washed up in 90 mins :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Up at 6am sharp this morning to get my RIS started. Doughed in the thickest BIAB mash I've ever done 15 mins ago. Hoping to be done by lunch time even with the longer than usual mash and boil for this big beer.

Up at 6am sharp this morning to get my RIS started. Doughed in the thickest BIAB mash I've ever done 15 mins ago. Hoping to be done by lunch time even with the longer than usual mash and boil for this big beer.
Up at 5.15am, boiler on for a Lemondrop wheat beer. Just finished mashing so should be finished and cleaned up by 11.00am.
First time using a mash tun, so learning as I go.

Did I say cleaned up by 11.00am? It'll be more like 12.00 - 12.15.
I hope this is the best beer I've ever brewed. Using a mash tun takes so much longer than BIAB.

My LHBS opens at 10am so I usually get everything cleaned and ready, breakfast, then put the water heater on to heat, hit the store for opening and get usually back and ready to dough in for 10:30. I should get my grains the night before and just hit it first thing.

I get up for work early during the week (around 5-5:30ish) so am usually stirring around 6 espec in the summer when the suns beams in around the curtain edge. I have done a few early brews starting the mash at 6/7 since I moved into a house with an internal garage, however when it comes to boiling the garage door needs to be open and that woke the wife up last time! (she likes her lie ins).
If I have a day off to myself I would usually start the mash when wifey leaves for work around 7:30.

Up at 6:30 this morning to get my brew on. What a lovely morning it was. Cold, crisp with a clear blue sky and the birds singing. The brew is going to plan as well. athumb..

Back