Any other piscetarian brewers out there?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eltei

Reaction score
OK for starters I might have spelt it wrong but it's too early in the morning to be thumbing through a dictionary. Basically I eat fish and dairy products but not meat. I have done since 16 and I'm 51 now. I m not one of those tree hugging do gooders and I'm more than happy to do my bit on the barbecue. I just wondered if anyone else shares my dietary habits and if any one has had to put a good bottle of booze back on the supermarket shelf because its used gelatine in fining.

I'm tending towards pescetarianism, but no I've never put a beer back because it has gelatin in it.

I do tend to make beers which are vegan, fined only with Irish moss in the boil, then given lots of time and a cold crash to clear up. Other than a oatmeal milk stout that I'm working my way through, I will probably continue to make vegan beer.

OK for starters I might have spelt it wrong but it's too early in the morning to be thumbing through a dictionary. Basically I eat fish and dairy products but not meat. I have done since 16 and I'm 51 now. I m not one of those tree hugging do gooders and I'm more than happy to do my bit on the barbecue. I just wondered if anyone else shares my dietary habits and if any one has had to put a good bottle of booze back on the supermarket shelf because its used gelatine in fining.

Ok so not sure if this makes me a bad vegetarian. It probably does but o well. Although I don't eat meat I have no problems with beer that have gelatin finings. My logic is that if the animal was going to die for its meat anyway I would like every part of it be used and none go to waste. If cows were being killed solely to make gelatin then I would have a problem but my understanding is that gelatine is made with wasted parts of the slaughter process. Like you I also have no oversion to people who eat meat and my wife and I regularly cook a meat alternative when we have guests over.

Funny how you don't see threads starting with, 'I eat meat, anyone else out there enjoy eating meat'

Hmm just a simple search of the word "Meat" in the search function would imply otherwise. There are sorts of threads about hot and cold smoking and best meats for Curry's ect athumb..

Last edited:
Whats the deal with people who do not eat meat ( I understand their reasons for harm or killing animals) but people who then eat fish surely sticking a hook in their mouth and hauling them in for hundreds of yards or taking them out of the water so they gasp for breath until they die do not all animals and plants respond to stimuli? or that is what I was taught at school.
Only asking a obvious question

Last edited:
@the baron someone's personal reasons for not doing something A) could just be that or B) may not be a moral objection. Could as easily be a dietary restriction to lessen the odds of an allergy or a religious belief.

I get where you're coming from. I just find it odd that someone posts in here asking to see if anyone's similar and two of the first posts are "You never see anyone saying anyone else eat meat hur hur hur" (because they're a majority and there's nothing considered "Odd" about eating meat) and "How do you justify/Why don't you eat fish?"

Chippy Tea recently posted a vegananuary post.

"So these busybodies want to take away our choice and want us all to stop eating animals, we are carnivores and if we cut all meat from our diets we will suffer the only way Vegans live a healthy life is because they take supplements so as far as i am concerned they can all go feck themselves."

Can't people just have a nice discussion about something they've clearly outlined in the post title?

I think it is hard for any question asked in any forum to stay exactly on topic and I bet 95% of threads go off at tangents on this forum

Only asking a obvious question

Post Brexit, with the inevitable move towards animal husbandry practices from the USA and the far east, I simply do not trust the supply chain. American chickens rinsed in bleach, cows full of antibiotics and hormones, Chinese livestock which has contributed to bird flu, Corona virus etc jumping from livestock to humans. Nah, yer ok, I'll pass.

Fish, however, tend to be caught at sea, and that can't really be messed around with. I already avoid farmed fish, before it gets mentioned.

So I went vegetarian for February, mainly for experimental reasons. It was pretty neat as well.

Also I discovered that a health issue I've had for a while actually disappeared while I was a vegetarian.

So I'm basically almost at a vegetarian level diet wise at the moment because currently I eat meat and fish very rarely. (I said Almost)

Obviously any sense of morality doesn't really come into it, I don't really roll that way. If I could handle eating steak every day I would but unfortunately that's not an option.

And I figured I might as well invest in some of that bentonite stuff, if that's all I have to do to make my wines vegan its fairly low effort lol.

I mean when I buy wine I probably won't bother looking at the label if I pick it up off the shelf, but doing online shopping for vegetarian wines is so ridiculously easy on somewhere like Tesco, might as well do it right? Also basically their whole range (the actual Tesco ones) are vegan I think so that makes it even easier.

Also there isn't even a difference in price really.

My logic is that if the animal was going to die for its meat anyway I would like every part of it be used and none go to waste
I was reading that a lot of vegan/veggies/peskys think exactly that because it truly is a by-product.

people who then eat fish surely sticking a hook in their mouth and hauling them in for hundreds of yards or taking them out of the water so they gasp for breath until they die
Pescitarianism and vegetarian are healthier than omnivores and vegans. But peskys can't take any moral stance because you've got to start asking questions like is the death of 2,000 fish 'worth' more than 1 cow's?

And I am outta here before it gets a bit too snug.

Wow some strong options there. It's quite ironic how I gave up eating meat. It all started many moon's ago when my college group had an "educational" trip to the Bass brewery at Burton as part of our plant reconditioning course. Our lecturer was a **** driver and chose to drive there using all the back lanes. It was a blisteringly hot day and with his driving style it could be compared to being in an airplane in turbulence with no air conditioning. On the way there we got stuck behind a slow moving flat bed truck driving through what could only be described as abbatoir central, the smell was..not good. Finally we got to be behind the truck and lying on it was a headless cow, a domino effect of projectile vomiting commenced from a majority of us. And from that day on I took MY choice not to eat meat. I don't preach or try to convert anyone, it's a free world...eat bat's, snakes or whatever you fancy.

@the baron someone's personal reasons for not doing something A) could just be that or B) may not be a moral objection. Could as easily be a dietary restriction to lessen the odds of an allergy or a religious belief.

I get where you're coming from. I just find it odd that someone posts in here asking to see if anyone's similar and two of the first posts are "You never see anyone saying anyone else eat meat hur hur hur" (because they're a majority and there's nothing considered "Odd" about eating meat) and "How do you justify/Why don't you eat fish?"

Chippy Tea recently posted a vegananuary post.

"So these busybodies want to take away our choice and want us all to stop eating animals, we are carnivores and if we cut all meat from our diets we will suffer the only way Vegans live a healthy life is because they take supplements so as far as i am concerned they can all go feck themselves."

Can't people just have a nice discussion about something they've clearly outlined in the post title?

Unfortunately this forum does sometimes come across as a hotbed narrow-mindedness.

Live and let live.

Trouble is we cant really go into isolation.

I have allways been cool about eating meat.Yet I totally love animals.

Just as we are proud of our homes and cars ect. So I discovered is my cat very proud of his hunting skills and loves to show off to me.

I have to admit if and when we can culture meat in the lab i would rather buy that than some slaughtered animal.

Cultured meat that is something to ponder on. I only started this thread thinking someone would say..oh mate your missing out on blah blahs imperial stout or so and so's IPA. What a can of worms I've opened...I'll leave that for the meaties to devour.

As only part of my veganuary post has been quoted here it is in full so members can see why I was annoyed when I posted, if vegans want to be vegans fair play to them but let the rest of us choose what we eat. aheadbutt

Skip to "Our vision" for the part that irritated me.

My post in full -
I thought this was just the latest annoying buzzword but apparently they have been around since 2014.

So these busybodies want to take away our choice and want us all to stop eating animals, we are carnivores and if we cut all meat from our diets we will suffer the only way Vegans live a healthy life is because they take supplements so as far as i am concerned they can all go feck themselves.

JOIN THE NEW YEARS REVOLUTION
Since 2014, Veganuary has inspired and supported more than half a million people in 178 countries to try vegan for January - and beyond. We have worked with businesses to drive up vegan food provision in shops and restaurants, and have made veganism more visible and accessible through our work with national and international media.

OUR VISION
Our vision is simple; we want a vegan world. A world without animal farms and slaughterhouses. A world where food production does not decimate forests, pollute rivers and oceans, exacerbate climate change, and drive wild animal populations to extinction.

OUR MISSION
Our mission is to inspire and support people to try vegan, drive corporate change, and create a global mass movement championing compassionate food choices with the aim of ending animal farming, protecting the planet and improving human health.

https://uk.veganuary.com/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back