Any other piscetarian brewers out there?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can well understand how things can take a wrong turn.

Commenting on forums is so hard unless one has perfect command of the language.

Unfortunately eating your meat has become a political football.
But not for me,I intend to carry on drinking,eating and enjoying life for as long as i can.

As long as I dont hurt anyone.!!!!!

Can enough veg be grown to satisfy a full vegan population without the continued use of pesticides?
What implications regarding increasing import of extra supplies?
I do eat meat but not a great amount,we have veggie meals quite regularly and fish. In recent years I think the quality of meat has declined.

Can enough veg be grown to satisfy a full vegan population without the continued use of pesticides?
What implications regarding increasing import of extra supplies?
I do eat meat but not a great amount,we have veggie meals quite regularly and fish. In recent years I think the quality of meat has declined.

If meat consumption drops inline with the rise in vegetable, legume, pulse etc. consumption then yes. Livestock farming is far more land-intensive given that you havet have fields not only for the animals, but to grow food for the animals.

Clint has raised a really good point.As a nation we not only have to feed ourselves but we also need well fed fit young men to defend our shores.

Whats the deal with people who do not eat meat ( I understand their reasons for harm or killing animals) but people who then eat fish surely sticking a hook in their mouth and hauling them in for hundreds of yards or taking them out of the water so they gasp for breath until they die do not all animals and plants respond to stimuli? or that is what I was taught at school.
Only asking a obvious question
fish have got it coming to them. Simple as that

So going back to the initial intention of this thread and expanding it to cater for everyone's dietary choice, has anyone be vegan, vegetarian, piecatarian, carnivore, cannibal, gluten intolerant, etc etc etc, if I've missed you out.. sorry.. had to put a bottle back on the shelf. If you have I'll happily track it down, purchase it and add it to the collection of bottles I'm trying to off load.

I think MyQul is a piscatarian.
Personally got nothing against vegetarians, got several friends who are so inclined but they are in no way preachy about it.
As a sheep farmer I'll stick to an omnivorous diet...

Just going to jump in for a bit of fun.

I’m an avid fisher (solely catch and release, game sport) as I am a shooter. Shoot pheasants, woodcock, pigeons and partridge. All of which goes to food for my dog as he’s the man who flushes the game for the guns. Nothing wasted.

“OMG you shoot and kill birds for fun!?”

“Yes I do, and my dog eats the whole lot. What’s more is that my friends and I all pay into a syndicate where we shoot 5 days a year on a local estate wherein stipulations of that are focused around upkeep and sustainability of the natural ecosystem.”

“OMG you catch fish and let every single one go?”

“Yes I do because the Atlantic salmon population is ****** and as a paying member of my local river, I’m putting back in what I take out. So that one day my kids can do the same and/or benefit from an increased population of fish.”

So, tell me more about what you’re doing for the environment Mr vegan animal activist manclapa What is your contribution rather than simply complaint and objecting?

So, tell me more about what you’re doing for the environment Mr vegan animal activist manclapa What is your contribution rather than simply complaint and objecting?
Not eating meat has a huge beneficial environmental impact. You've got to rethink that one as a backlash. Cows are basically cars with different kinds of horns.

Wasn't it methane gas with cows? I think I watched some TV recently where it says they now do not produce hardly any but I can't remember why....but they use lots of water...but...the water doesn't just disappear...it always reappears.. somewhere.

Not eating meat has a huge beneficial environmental impact. You've got to rethink that one as a backlash. Cows are basically cars with different kinds of horns.
As a man from my neck of the woods, you need to rethink buddy. You’re spouting the yank mantra of mental massive cow farms all corn fed vs Aberdeen Angus, pasture matured grass fed beasts. The two are polar opposites.

The methane “horned car thing” rings true on many levels, but when you look at farming per capita as we have in bonnie Scotland and as the rest of the UK. We’re doing just fine and having a minimal impact on the environment.

The alternative, all eating seed sown produce - would ultimately have a much bigger, more devastating and prolonged impact on the fields vs rearing animals for food.

Arable devastates in a lot of respects. Hence the introduction of horrible fertilisers and other nasty means of placing nutrients back into the ground which have been rapidly ripped out year on year. Plants don’t **** back into the earth and make it better. Animals do.

Last edited:
As a man from my neck of the woods, you need to rethink buddy. You’re spouting the yank mantra of mental massive cow farms all corn fed vs Aberdeen Angus, pasture matured grass fed beasts. The two are polar opposites.
American cows bad, British cows good?

American cows bad, British cows good?
That's about right. Very little corn fed beef in the UK. Feeding grain to ruminants is inefficient and harmful to the environment, but grass fed ruminants is what nature intended. Same with sheep.
Don't get me started on horses though - they produce as much methane as a ruminant and other than being pets they just use up agricultural land that would be best used for food production.

@Chippy_Tea I used your post as a rebuttal to Foxy's point about "Funny how you you never see meat eaters...." apologies if it came across as dickish, such was not my intention.

That said, Eltie's original post was essentially "Is anyone here like me?" and as a result it's 90% omnivores saying "NO I'M NOT AND HERE'S WHY!"

I'm not one to get offended on someone else's behalf, but if something strikes me as unfair I'm going to point it out.

"Whats the deal with people who do not eat meat?"

"but we also need well fed fit young men to defend our shores." from what? Vegans? Fosters? Stock, Aitken and Waterman?

"Just going to jump in for a bit of fun - I shoot things"

"As a sheep farmer"

So no, you're not the same, you just came on to act boorish then. I get it.

"As a sheep farmer"

So no, you're not the same, you just came on to act boorish then. I get it
So in what way was I being boorish - I was just replying to a previous comment in a perfectly reasonable manner. Only one person on here bandying names about...

I'm a Pesky and as a result my partners flexitarian. I stopped eating meat 5 years ago. Just sick of the taste due to my business, we invariably have meat dishes left over. But I still butcher and strip down joints for our restaurant etc. My choice. No drum beating or other world saving fads. My brews are all made without finings. Mainly 'cos we get so many dietary requirements (real or imagined) and that makes our life harder. For example, (sure I've told this before,,,:oops: Neway, one customer asked 'Is your chicken organic?' I said well' it's a carbon based life form,,, She was not impressed. I used to keep bantams and necked and cooked the cockerels. No animals like getting their necks stretched and I wasn't to happy working in slaughter houses. But accept it as long as the finished product is not chlorine washed, with growth hormone/antibiotic residues. Partner still says I'm just a fooking pest, But my choice nowt else!

I used your post as a rebuttal to Foxy's point about "Funny how you you never see meat eaters...." apologies if it came across as dickish, such was not my intention

No worries I posted the full post so members who missed the original could see what it was about

So in what way was I being boorish - I was just replying to a previous comment in a perfectly reasonable manner. Only one person on here bandying names about...

I meant as a collective looking at all of the comments I paraphrased. Collectively they come across as pretty boorish.

Latest posts

Back