Any reason why this wouldn't work?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolverine

Regular.
Reaction score
Ok I've got a beer thad stuck at 1.014 I've lest it a week and it's well and truely stuck
I have another beer that's going along nicely and will be kegged as soon as it's stopped so can I transfer my stuck sweet beer onto the good active sediment and let it pick up where the other yeast left off? If that works it sounds like the best and easiest plan
any thoughts ?
Thanks
ben

It may not be stuck it is most likely finished. What are you brewing Kit extract or all grain. Most my beers finish at around 1012-1015.

:cheers:

Oh that's interesting I thought they would fement all the sugar out?
That's good then it is a Geordie yorkshire bitter kit made with 1kg of beer enhancer and 200g of brewing sugar
that gave me an og of 1.042
so is it likely to have finised then that would be good : )

Unlikely to ferment down much lower as some of the sugar will be unfermentable as this is what gives the beer 'body'.

:cheers:

just another quick question relating to the same beer. my readings only give me an alcohol content of 3.7% ! and that's with 200g extra Brewing sugar : (
would it have been stronger if I had used all brewing sugar and not the beer enhancer

It would have probably gone lower as brewing enhancer is dry malt extract and will have a proportion of non fermentables in it. However you would have ended up with a beer with no body, which you would have probably been disapointed with. It is after called an enhancer for a reason. :lol: :lol:

thanks for that it all makes sense now : )
Hopefully when I have asked enough silly questions about kits I can move forward and start all grain but for now I will stick with the kits
can you recomend a good partial grain kit to use as a sort of stepping stone ?

Hopefully when I have asked enough silly questions about kits I can move forward and start all grain but for now I will stick with the kits
What is partial grain.

Last edited:

the Malt Miller do some great partial mash kits, I did a couple and then jumped into AG :)

There can be a bit of uncertainty when I brew finishes a few points higher than expected. My last few have all stopped at 1.014 where really, based on the attenuation specs for the yeast used that should have gone a few points lower. E.g. a very recent pilsner fermented with Mangrove Jacks M54 yeast which is supposed to attenuate 77-82% didn't even achieve 70% attenuation. Hard to know why given the fermentation itself seemed healthy enough. I've had onbe 'properly' stuck fermentation that stopped at 1.021. Nothing I did could get it going again. One thing I wasn't in a position to try but is one thing I've read that does actually work is as you've suggested... the yeast cake, or perhaps are jar of the slurry from another completed batch.

Partial mash's are a great next step and in fact they are what I do 90% of the time. I usually use a 60/40 ratio of grain/extract - so in my case I'm mashing around 2.4kg grain typically. The main advantage is that you can experience the mashing process, get familiar with the wide range of grains etc etc and meanwhile keep everything at a stove top level - all you need is a large stock pot and perhaps a grain bag. To me the end result of a partial is indistinguishable from a full AG brew once your grain portion is up to a certain level. In your case you could in the first instance continue with your extract kits but simply replace the brew enhancer/ brewing sugar additions with a suitable base malt instead. For example, with a 10 litre pot you could mash up to around 2kg of a pale malt grain which will give you around litres of fresh wort. If you then sparge with a few jugs full of hot water you could end up with around 10 litres(ish) which you can then and combine with the contents of your beer kit can and top up to the usual 23 litres.

Latest posts

Back