Any recommendations for a Chardonnay type wine?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My wife is a big fan of the Chardonnay style of white wine. I can make beer and cider to a reasonable degree but I've never made wine and I would like to surprise her with a Chardonnay type white wine.
I don't want to buy a kit (tight git) so I would like to use supermarket white grape juice, what other juices/ ingredients do I need and any tips or advice will be gratefully received.

So is there any other type of juice I could use to produce an acceptable white wine?
Glad to see we've moved on from Chardonnay to "an acceptable white wine". Got any rhubarb growing in the garden. or your neighbour's garden? Rhubarb makes a lovely wine. A handful of elderflowers or nettle tops or a bit of parsley will make it even better.

Glad to see we've moved on from Chardonnay to "an acceptable white wine". Got any rhubarb growing in the garden. or your neighbour's garden? Rhubarb makes a lovely wine. A handful of elderflowers or nettle tops or a bit of parsley will make it even better.

I don't have access to any rhubarb, but I will try to source some. Approximately how much rhubarb would I need to make a batch of wine to 4 litres?

I don't have access to any rhubarb, but I will try to source some. Approximately how much rhubarb would I need to make a batch of wine to 4 litres?
Or, use tinned.

Also tinned gooseberry is very nice. A bit wierd, I won’t lie, but very nice. I was sad when I got to the last bottle of that one.

That was 4 x 300g tins of gooseberries and 250g sultanas. And then sugar to reach 1250g taking into account the 59% sugar in the sultanas and the sugar in the gooseberry syrup. Does not need any citric acid.

There's a very good recipe for one gallon (4½ litres) in Berry's First Steps in WInemaking. I'm just getting a brew on so I'll look it out for you later in the morning.

Here we go:
3Lb Rhubarb
3lb Sugar
Wine yeast and nutrient

Wash the stalks but don't bother peeling them. Cut into ½ inch lengths and put in a bowl. Cover the rhubarb with the sugar (no water) and leave overnight. In the morning, the sugar will have extracted the juice through osmosis. Drain off the syrup into your fermenter and rinse the rhubarb carefully to get the rest of the sugar and the juice. Use just enough water to get a gallon. Pitch the yeast and stir in the nutrient.
I always add some elderflowers of orange flowers or something delicate to the secondary stage. When the wine's done, i usually put it in swing top bottles and prime it with a teaspoonful of sugar to give "elderglower champagne" but there's no reason why youy can't just drink it as rhubarb wine. It's supposed to taste a bit like hock.
Good luck.

Here we go:
3Lb Rhubarb
3lb Sugar
Wine yeast and nutrient

Wash the stalks but don't bother peeling them. Cut into ½ inch lengths and put in a bowl. Cover the rhubarb with the sugar (no water) and leave overnight. In the morning, the sugar will have extracted the juice through osmosis. Drain off the syrup into your fermenter and rinse the rhubarb carefully to get the rest of the sugar and the juice. Use just enough water to get a gallon. Pitch the yeast and stir in the nutrient.
I always add some elderflowers of orange flowers or something delicate to the secondary stage. When the wine's done, i usually put it in swing top bottles and prime it with a teaspoonful of sugar to give "elderglower champagne" but there's no reason why youy can't just drink it as rhubarb wine. It's supposed to taste a bit like hock.
Good luck.

Cheers, thanks for that

Here we go:
3Lb Rhubarb
3lb Sugar
Wine yeast and nutrient

Good luck.

@An Ankoù would this work as a yeast and nutrient? as it says it contains both Youngs Brew Home Brewing Super Wine Yeast Compound For High Alcohol 60g:Amazon.co.uk:Kitchen & Home

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back