Any use for spent grains

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I was definitely going to say compost (with the hops, of course!)
But the dog biscuit idea has me interested. Any recipes out there? The wee ones might love it!

M&D1.JPG

My chickens love it, first time I threw in their usual food and then my spent grain, they didn't seem interested at first, whether the smell got them going but almost instantly they all turned and ran over to it and started making happy clucking noises.

I'm a keen bread maker using flour we mill ourselves at the watermill so I'll have to look into making bread from spent grain, I guess it might need drying and milling finer and would only be added in small amounts as the starch/sugar has gone

I would have thought you could also make some sort of porridge type dish.

Our chickens were the same - ignored it at first. Once they sussed out how tasty it is they now expect it every morning (wish I was brewing that often...)

:thumb:

This thread got me thinking if I could the use spent grain for making wine, so after my brewday yesterday, I added the spent grain to a pan full of water and brought it to the boil, and to check what sugar was left I took a reading and it was about 1008 so very little.

I added 1kg of sugar and some wine yeast, yeast nutrient and pectolase and a couple tsp lemon juice, it tastes like weetabix! OG 1075 now gonna leave it and we'll see what happens.

This thread got me thinking if I could the use spent grain for making wine, so after my brewday yesterday, I added the spent grain to a pan full of water and brought it to the boil, and to check what sugar was left I took a reading and it was about 1008 so very little.

I added 1kg of sugar and some wine yeast, yeast nutrient and pectolase and a couple tsp lemon juice, it tastes like weetabix! OG 1075 now gonna leave it and we'll see what happens.

This has turned out to be an absolutely feckin gorgeous wine :thumb::party:
see my thread here:-
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=564071#post564071

I usually make bread with some, only a couple hundreg g in a large loaf... tastes amazing!

Dog biscuits. Heres our recipie.
4 cups grain
2 cups flour
1 cup peanut butter
1 egg

Heat oven to 180c. Whilst heating mix ingriedients. Shape them to what you want keep them about 5mm thick. Pop on trays whack in oven for about 1/2 hour. Then turn oven down to 120c till they are dry then pop em on a wire rack till cool.
Oh once theyve had 1 youll get no peace when you make batch 2. And watch your fingers... Lol

Tip.. Use a small Tea cup that way you get 2 batches from a jar of peanut butter. And they spent grains will keep in the fridge for a few days.

1456857884116-1925759149.jpg

14568579103371272423708.jpg

Recipie came from BYO.com. I just dropped an egg from it and upped the second temp, as batch 1 was very wet.

Recipie came from BYO.com. I just dropped an egg from it and upped the second temp, as batch 1 was very wet.

I was pointing out the harm Xylitol can do to dogs if it is in the peanut butter. Can be fatal according to the link.

I have made those dog biscuits before, and even tried them myself. They dont taste that bad although the grain gets stuck in your teeth somewhat 😊

No it doesn't taste of weetabix now, I only had a small taster but its a very, very nice smooth flavour with good body it was 40% M/O, 42% unmalted wheat and 18% Irish pilsner malt so I'm calling it wheat n barley wine.

Well, I'm ashamed to admit what I'm now doing with mine..... :-?

I'd love to compost them. Maybe feed them to livestock. I reckon I will make a few doggie biscs. But..........

Most of mine now go on the Rayburn - same as the dogsh!t. Before we rented, then composting & feeding the chickens was almost the same thing: feeding the vegetable plot. Burning anything seemed a daft thing to do.
However, no longer can we grow things - but I can now cut my losses - at least a little bit - by turning wet damp organic matter into hot water. Slowly. :-?

Latest posts

Back