Anybody do metalwork turning on here?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buffers brewery

Complicated Brewer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a favour from a friendly brewer that's a turner. Tell you why. It appears that the 15 psi safety valve I use on my King Kegs has been discontinued. So looking for an alternative I came up with a DIY solution. I've 3D printed the part but it needs to be made in brass or stainless steel to prove it works, hence the shout out. Here are some pics to give an idea of what I'm looking for. It's the white bit that I want...
IMG_20220723_130555117.jpg

IMG_20220723_130433026.jpg

It doesn't look difficult, why don't you visit your local machining workshop, and ask them, I guess you could save a fortune on postage.

Tell me more Buffer, I have some bits and pieces. If it is the PRV you are wanting, I have, if you want an adjustable PRV I have or if you want a factory set in line PRV I have, set at 8 PSI

Tell me more Buffer, I have some bits and pieces. If it is the PRV you are wanting, I have, if you want an adjustable PRV I have or if you want a factory set in line PRV I have, set at 8 PSI
Hi @foxy . You may have read in some of my posts that I use a 15 psi pressure relief valve when carbonating my ale in a King Keg pressure barrel. I use a corny connector on a gas post so the valve can be removed when carbonation is finished.
E892D9AF-10D2-4523-9C8A-506CAB0D7AA2.jpeg

A fellow brewer asked me where I buy the valve from and when he tried to buy one he discovered they were no longer available. A google search turned up nothing except for a similar but plastic valve on Aliexpress. So it got me thinking, tinkering in your language :laugh8: and as I had a 15 psi Kegland valve that fits an Allrounder lid, I thought “if I could make a body with a 1/4” BSP thread at one end and a thread and socket at the other end to take the Kegland valve I’d have a 15 psi valve that could be easily serviced and maintained. Hence..
43F258FC-01A7-46D4-9CAF-C7E1555FDE08.jpeg

I made a 3D printed version to check out sizes etc. but not suitable for the real thing.
C9CCCC27-6881-44A2-8797-CD2B9CEADE49.jpeg

Put a shout out to see if there was another ol’ geezer like me, retired and looking for things to do, that was an experienced turner/model engineer with a lathe in their shed to get the bit made on the cheap. I could go to a local machine shop but I dread to think how much the set up cost would be, but I might give it a go :laugh8:

Could be the perfect excuse to buy a small lathe and have a practice wink...

I presume you can get hexagonal bar stock, then turn down the two ends, thread one, bore the other and tap. It's the tolerances that would be key

Hi @foxy . You may have read in some of my posts that I use a 15 psi pressure relief valve when carbonating my ale in a King Keg pressure barrel. I use a corny connector on a gas post so the valve can be removed when carbonation is finished.View attachment 72169
A fellow brewer asked me where I buy the valve from and when he tried to buy one he discovered they were no longer available. A google search turned up nothing except for a similar but plastic valve on Aliexpress. So it got me thinking, tinkering in your language :laugh8: and as I had a 15 psi Kegland valve that fits an Allrounder lid, I thought “if I could make a body with a 1/4” BSP thread at one end and a thread and socket at the other end to take the Kegland valve I’d have a 15 psi valve that could be easily serviced and maintained. Hence..
View attachment 72172
I made a 3D printed version to check out sizes etc. but not suitable for the real thing.
View attachment 72170

Put a shout out to see if there was another ol’ geezer like me, retired and looking for things to do, that was an experienced turner/model engineer with a lathe in their shed to get the bit made on the cheap. I could go to a local machine shop but I dread to think how much the set up cost would be, but I might give it a go :laugh8:
Keep it simple cobber. PM me your address and I will send you one, with the blue PRV.

003.JPG
004.JPG

Ha! Just found it. I'll get my daughter to send me on thanks @foxy . Are they available In the UK?
They will be they should be there now they were flown over along with Ultra Twist taps and other small stuff. If your daughter cant get one let me know, I won't charge you, just put some money in a Kids with Cancer foundation.

If you do ever get round to making one up or finding a solution that would allow a prv to be connected to 3/8 tube, do let me know, after Fridays interweb search I'm all ears.

They will be they should be there now they were flown over along with Ultra Twist taps and other small stuff. If your daughter cant get one let me know, I won't charge you, just put some money in a Kids with Cancer foundation.
IMG-20220815-WA0000.jpg

Daughter just bought a couple for me. Just got to post them to me now, however long that'll take 😂

Are the Ultra tap Twist in the UK ? If so where?

View attachment 73417
Daughter just bought a couple for me. Just got to post them to me now, however long that'll take 😂
Arrived in the (now not on strike) post today.
IMG_20220830_152444094~2.jpg

So there's good news and not so good news. I tried to fit the Spundy to the corny gas post on my King Keg top and it wouldn't lock on. Took it down to the shed to try it on a spare gas post and no, it wouldn't lock on. So I unscrewed the post slightly creating a 0.6mm gap..
IMG_20220830_151606442~2.jpg

..and it locked on. I concluded that the pin in the connector was a little bit too long

IMG_20220830_151013578.jpg

So I fettled a smidge off the tip of the pin until it clicked on.
IMG_20220830_152536899~2.jpg

Let's see if it works :laugh8:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back