Anybody seen this torp/sub things?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drunkula

Landlord.
Reaction score
https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/th...fer-request-referrals-2964537#thread-comments

I've just discovered that... atrocity. It's worse than a sodastream. People don't realise how economically diabolical sodastreams are - you're talking £2.30 for 2 litres of pop that's not even as good as the pop you're trying to recreate that's actually cheaper.

I know people get wrapped up in the "What a great idea, my husband/dad/son/non-sexist option will love this!" but, urghhhh. It's made me feel sad at how gullible people are.

So bad.

And yes, we're in a privileged, lofty position above the swill drinking mere mortals below.

If somebody bought me one of those as a Christmas present I would sledgehammer it to bits in front of them in case they had the receipt and could take it back, just to do the service of stopping somebody else falling foul of it.

Phwew, feel better now. Goodbye.

And there was me planning on sticking a whole bottle of sodastream syrup in a cornie and having it on draught for my little one's birthday.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/th...fer-request-referrals-2964537#thread-comments

I've just discovered that... atrocity. It's worse than a sodastream. People don't realise how economically diabolical sodastreams are - you're talking £2.30 for 2 litres of pop that's not even as good as the pop you're trying to recreate that's actually cheaper.

I know people get wrapped up in the "What a great idea, my husband/dad/son/non-sexist option will love this!" but, urghhhh. It's made me feel sad at how gullible people are.

So bad.

And yes, we're in a privileged, lofty position above the swill drinking mere mortals below.

If somebody bought me one of those as a Christmas present I would sledgehammer it to bits in front of them in case they had the receipt and could take it back, just to do the service of stopping somebody else falling foul of it.

Phwew, feel better now. Goodbye.

I remember my parents owning a sodastream from 40 odd years back. It was not a great tasting product at the end. Nothing like what it was supposed to mimic.
Other **** gadgets of the day included the yoghurt maker and also a pebble grinder to make your own costume jewellery or other objets d'art from.

Anyone else remember anything similarly rubbish?

Somebody I used to work with bought one for the World Cup and puts almost daily photos of the beer he’s poured on Facebook.

£7.50 for 2L of beer!

£7.50 for 2L of beer!
And it's all fekkin lager! Mostly.

The existence of that machine has genuinely got to me. I need to get it out of my system and let go but it's got me by the whatever things get you by when you're got by and you're got.

I can really see myself in the situation at a party where somebody goes "Deedee, you like beer - look what I got Andy - check this out - the real deal - the pubberator in your cubborator, brews next to the stew, draught ale on the small scale - the TORPINATOR!!" and I either have to black out, voluntarily or by sheer social stress (preferred), or lie and say it's amazing while flicking my eyes at Andy who is also desperately clutching onto the wisp of hope that it actually isn't completely, utterly, profoundly a shitfurnace that you're forced to shovel money into that could have gone on actual, nice beer.

Andyyyyyyyyyy!!!

And it's all fekkin lager! Mostly.

The existence of that machine has genuinely got to me. I need to get it out of my system and let go but it's got me by the whatever things get you by when you're got by and you're got.

I can really see myself in the situation at a party where somebody goes "Deedee, you like beer - look what I got Andy - check this out - the real deal - the pubberator in your cubborator, brews next to the stew, draught ale on the small scale - the TORPINATOR!!" and I either have to black out, voluntarily or by sheer social stress (preferred), or lie and say it's amazing while flicking my eyes at Andy who is also desperately clutching onto the wisp of hope that it actually isn't completely, utterly, profoundly a shitfurnace that you're forced to shovel money into that could have gone on actual, nice beer.

Andyyyyyyyyyy!!!

Did you have a nice day yesterday, apart from this?

Other **** gadgets of the day included ........... a pebble grinder to make your own costume jewellery or other objets d'art from................

Back in the day, one of my Operators bought his wife one of the pebble polishers for her birthday so the next time I saw her I said "Dave tells me he's got you interested in a bit of lapidary then."

"No he hasn't!" she said emphatically, as she turned and glared at her husband "I've told him I'm never going to do a threesome!"

I didn't know where to put myself and neither did her husband! :laugh8:

We had an electric tin opener, that sat on the kitchen worktop, about the same size as a toaster. No idea why it needed to be that big or why anyone thought opening a tin can was so much of a chore that we needed to throw some cash at the problem.

You don't see many electric carving knives these days either.

I think the modern-day gadget-tat has to be the juicer. We were given one but found the amount of juice that was extracted from an apple to be so infinitesimally small that it took about 30 mins and a whole bag of apples to get a glass of apple juice. Given we never had that many apples spare, we'd invariably throw all sorts of other fruit in there, along with a couple of carrots because it made it seem more healthy, only to discover that the resultant pond-water was completely unpalatable.

Who has a bread machine? I used mine for a while then realised it was a palaver. What about a breville butty toaster...now they're useful..our latest thing is a cordless hang on the wall vacuum cleaner...it's great if the Mrs puts it back to charge and not leave it propped up somewhere...

Who has a bread machine? I used mine for a while then realised it was a palaver. What about a breville butty toaster...now they're useful..our latest thing is a cordless hang on the wall vacuum cleaner...it's great if the Mrs puts it back to charge and not leave it propped up somewhere...

Bread maker bread doesn't taste as good as a proper loaf made in the oven.

Toastie Makers are a kitchen essential. I use mine quite frequently!

....... Vests...made of string. ...

That brought back memories - and a few laughs! :laugh8: :laugh8:

At the time I was due to go to sea the Shipping Company sent a latter that said I had to have clothing "suitable for all weathers", string vests were all the rage and my Mum was an avid knitter.

Without consultation, Mum went out and purchased some string and I kid you not when I tell you that she bought string as per that stuff used to tie up parcels; and then knitted me two vests out of it!

They fitted fine in the house but at sea after the first wash the vests reached to mid-thigh and after the second wash they came somewhere near my knees! At this stage they seemed to give up their spurt of growth and settled down half-way between being a string vest and a mini-skirt.

Despite all exhortations from Mum that I would "grow into them" and the fact that I wore them in some very cold climates, I never really got to love them so they were unceremoniously dumped after my first trip to the USA where I could purchase "Fruit of the Loom" vests! Unfortunately this was after about a year!

Happy Days! :thumb: (I can hardly see the screen on the computer for laughing at the memory!)

We have a soda stream, my wife uses it to carbonate water as she likes fizzy water to drink. Beats the heck out of having to deal with 100s of empty plastic bottles constantly.... Their syrups are indeed overpriced though, so I just have sugar free (usually supermarket own brand) pop.

I have an electric tin opener, I use it because I have arthritis in my hands and it doesn't hurt me. The rest of the family use a normal one as they refuse to try the electric one.

We have a bread machine, and used to make delicious wholemeal bread in it. The trick is to add half a vitamin C tablet and a bit of malt extract. Not used it in a while though since a female spider left an egg sack in there and my wife spotted hoards of s'lings coming out of it...

We once paid a fortune for a cordless Dyson. Talk about no suck and short battery life (it sucks, but in the wrong way... lol).....

I love gadgets, but even I wouldn't throw money at one of those sub things, they're a joke. This from a chap who swears by his Tassimo.... Even knowing full well that an espresso machine and milk frother is both cheaper to run AND better for the environment (I hate instant and filter coffee....).

Latest posts

Back